harddrive failure? need some advice.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bitchysix, Sep 25, 2007.

1. bitchysix

bitchysix New Member

Sep 4, 2006
    I have a series 2, I'm in Toronto. Just under one year ago, I ordered an addon drive from Weaknees, 250gig, which has been working fine. Yesterday, the recording I was watching was playing choppy, which has never happened before. I gave up and went to bed. This morning I am unable to get past the 'powering up' screen. I called Weaknees, they want me to give them more money so they can tell me what's wronng with it. This involves shipping the entire tivo to California. Should I assume the problem is the original harddrive, which is still inside, and simply order a replacement? Will I lose all of the recordings on my box? Are there other options?

2. S.Mo

S.Mo He said member

Feb 13, 2004
    It could be either of the hard drives. I'm not a fan of dual hard drive setups because you more or less double the chance of a failure. Your recordings are toast.

If you aren't handy with computers, buying a single replacement drive from Weaknees or one of the other suppliers and replacing both your current drives would be a good option.

3. bitchysix

bitchysix New Member

Sep 4, 2006
    The drive I purchased from weaknees cost me a pretty penny. I don't want to throw it out- the guys at weaknees say it's unlikely that the newer drive is the problem

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You will have to back up your recordings with TiVoToGo, attempt to pull a system image from that unit, or purchase an InstantCake CD (or otherwise obtain an image) to apply to the 250GB drive as a single A (master).

5. bryus

bryus Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Englewood, CO
    If the drive isn't having an hardware failure you can try SpinRite from www.grc.com

Steve Gibson, the creator of SpinRite was just talking on his Security Now! podcast last week about how it can help recover corrupted hard drives including drives in RAID or TiVo drives.

6. S.Mo

S.Mo He said member

Feb 13, 2004
    There's no way they can know which of the two failed. I've seen plenty of 1 year old (or less) hard drives fail.

7. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Well then it's a good thing that they didn't say that they know and only suggested that one is more likely than the other to have failed.

8. wierdo

wierdo New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Arkansas, US