Hard Drives

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by cwmatthew, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Mar 9, 2006 #1 of 50
    cwmatthew

cwmatthew New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Jacksonville...

Advertisements

I have found the following hard drives to replace a faulty hard drive on my Series 2 DirecTv TiVo:

1. Seagate Technologies Internal Hard Drive (ST3200822A-RK) 200GB, 7200RPM, $69.99 after $80 rebates.

2. Western Digital Internal Hard Drive (WD2500JBRTL) 250GB, 7200RPM, $69.99 after $20 savings & $70 rebates.

Would either of these drives be a good drive to replace the faulty one or do you know of a better one.

Thank you for any advice you can give this old lady who is not that knowledgeable on all this. I have a friend that will replace it for me.

2. Mar 9, 2006 #2 of 50
    Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    As long as they are IDE drives, both would work just fine. Serial ATA drives are not compatible.

3. Mar 9, 2006 #3 of 50
    Martin Tupper

Martin Tupper Pontiff Emeritus

Dec 18, 2003
    When looking for a harddrive for a TiVo, I would recommend finding one with some sort of acoustical management capabilities. Neither of those appear to have any.

4. Mar 9, 2006 #4 of 50
    dshinnick

dshinnick Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Seagate is, to my knowledge, the only company with a 5-year warranty. That speaks volumes to me. They have a good reputation around here, so that would be my vote. I have several and they've done fine by me.

5. Mar 9, 2006 #5 of 50
    Pauli

Pauli New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Long Beach, CA

Advertisements

The Western Digital does indeed support AAM. Seagate does not. WD is a good choice and you need to enable AAM through a third-party utility like WinAAM or Hitachi tool.

6. Mar 9, 2006 #6 of 50
    scalo

scalo New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Milford,...
    I have the Seagate drive you listed and it is LOUD! so LOUD that I moved it out of my bedroom.

7. Mar 9, 2006 #7 of 50
    Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Drive brands really don't matter much nowadays. I've used Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor, each seems to be basically the same. If it were me, I'd go with the WD because you'd get an additional 50gb of storage capacity.

If one of my Tivo's drives go dead, that's about the ideal capacity for the best price. 300gb drives are still over $100 for the most part.

8. Mar 9, 2006 #8 of 50
    Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth MRV Junkie

Jun 14, 2005
    Fountain, CO
    I would go with that one. I wouldn't say that I'm a "die-hard" Seagate (who now owns Maxtor, by the way) fan, but the first Seagate drive I bought (for a home theater PC) was so quiet, I continued only buying Seagate drives, and they are all as quiet as my first one.

9. Mar 9, 2006 #9 of 50
    goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Samsung hard drives also support an acoustical management utility that you can enable 'quiet mode' on the drives.

10. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Between...
    I think the 5 year warranty is for the SCSI drives and not the IDE. Over the last couple of years Seagate, Maxtor, and WD have even scaled back the warranty for the IDE drives from three years to one. At least for OEM drives.

11. roamerr

roamerr New Member

Feb 11, 2003
    NC
    I used to love Seagate but the noise on the new drives is horrible. The head seeks are way too loud and there is no way to quiet the seeks. The WD can have the accoustic program ran to make it quiet.

I now only use Samsung drives from Newegg. Acoustic Managemnet is already enabled and they are very quiet. As far as warranty -- I do not care. The time it takes to reformat and replace is the biggest issue. I have 4 Tivo's and have averaged 2 yrs on drives with the exception of a Maxtor that lasted 2 days and a WD that lasted 3 months (both are fine in a PC but bad sectors are definitely an issue in a Tivo).

12. dbish

dbish New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Seagate does indeed offer a 5 year warranty on IDE and SATA drives. THis applies to both retail and oem (at least the ones I have purchased). The Seagate on the Outpost special is fairly loud. It does not bother me at all because of the room it is in. Not sure if I could live with it in a small bedroom. I have purchased around 12 Seagates in the past couple years and they are all still working fine.

13. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Between...
    Hhhhmmm... interesting. I'm a partner (11 years) in an IT support company, the drives we purchase from distributors is OEM and a couple of years back WD, Maxtor, and Seagate scaled back the warranties. I of course could have been mistaken earlier. Now my curiosity is going. I even remember reading in IT trade rags about folks not being happy with the decision to scale back the warranty from 3 to 1 year. I'll have to check into that again.

14. BlindLemonLarry

BlindLemonLarry 'Lectric Chair Blues

Jun 19, 2004
    Last Friday, I purchased a 160GB Seagate for my new DVR4ME DSR-7000. ($40 after rebates.) The box says "Five Year Warranty" on both sides.

I agree with Dkerr24 that there is little difference between the various drive manufacturers. Where possible, I go with Seagate, just for the warranty.

15. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Between...
    If I need a HDD I just take one off of our shelve in our shop. I don't pay much attention to the retail stuff at the brick and mortars.

Here's a link to Westerndigital.

http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp

I guess we're all right to some degree. :)

16. cwmatthew

cwmatthew New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Jacksonville...
    Thanks for all the helpful advice. I love this board.

17. bnm81002

bnm81002 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    outpost.com has a Seagate 300GB drive(7200.8 version) on sale for $129.99 with a $50 rebate making the final cost for the drive only $79.99 which for $10 more and 100GB more than the 200GB for $69.99 :up:

18. codespy

codespy Go A-Rod (Packers)

Jan 6, 2006
    Packerland, USA
    I have a 300gig Maxtor in one of my units and the thing seems to knock louder than my car after I turn the ignition off. I do have other smaller Maxtor's which are fine (40gig units). I guess it could be just a somewhat defective drive, but it still works.

19. wje

wje New Member

Jan 7, 2005
    New...

I'm pretty sure there was a while where you could get the 'standard' drive with a 1 year warrany, or the 'premium' drive with a 3 or 5 year warranty. Do the drive manufacturers still do this? If I remember correctly, they sold essentially the same drive under two different part numbers, charging more for the longer warranty.

20. PDubs

PDubs New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    I wrote Seagate off many years ago, but it sounds like it might be a good idea to use them again.