Hard Drive upgarde... Pro's & Con's

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by TexasGrillChef, May 1, 2011.

1. May 1, 2011 #1 of 32
    TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    I have been using a TiVo Series 3 & HD units ever since they were released.

I have loved them alot. Now I am considering buying a new Priemere XL unit with the internal 1tb drive.

After much research, I have learned that the Priemere can easily handle an internal 2tb & an external 2tb drive for a total of 4tb.

When my drive died on my S3 unit, I played around for a while with several drives for fun. Tried a WD Raptor (10k rpm) 300gb drive, a 500gb SSD drive and finally settled on a 1TB 7200rpm drive. Now with the S3 and upgraded drive option we know that we LOSE the easily "Plug n Play" capability of using the eSATA port. ie... one can simply just plug in a 1tb DVR expander drive & have it work right off the back. Special steps have to be taken to "marry" an internal drive and external drive together to get the 1tb internal & 1tb external capability of the S3 to work. I never did that because I didn't want the extra work & didn't need the extra space.

So what I need to know is the following....

1. On the PRIEMERE XL unit. If I upgrade the internal drive to 2TB. What will I lose? (Besides warranty) Will I still have "Plug N Play" capability with TiVo approved DVR Expanders? Or if I want to use the eSATA port will I have to perform a "Marriage" between the internal & external drives first?

2. Are there any other "Cons" I need to know about before upgrading the internal drive from 1tb to 2tb's?

I ask this because unlike the S3 Forum where there is a "Sticky" fully explaining hard drive upgrade paths... there isn't for the Priemere forum.

Thanks

TGC

2. May 2, 2011 #2 of 32
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    TexasGrillChef:

I have done internal 2TB drive upgrades to my TiVo HD and Premiere. Adding a 2TB drive to a Premiere using "comers' method is very very easy.

You are correct I can no longer just add an eSATA drive and have TiVo add it automatically. Adding an external drive to a Premiere once you have done an internal upgrade to 2TB seems to be a work in progress. Weaknees.com Offers the 2TB +2TB setup but I have not seen anyone else saying they had a method that worked for sure.

I have not seen any other down side to upgrading the internal drive to 2TB.

Good Luck,

3. May 2, 2011 #3 of 32
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Go check out the TiVo Upgrade Center- the upgrade information for the Premieres are in there. It is not stickied, but there are two threads which walk through it.

4. May 2, 2011 #4 of 32
    Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    Unless your XL differs from my Premiere (non-XL) you're not going to lose your warranty. Here's why...

First... there are no security seals to break to open up the Premiere.
    Second... if you have problems post upgrade that you can't readily resolve, the first thing you're going to do is to re-install your original drive (which you have kept wrapped up nice and clean). Then you're going to see if your problem is reproducible with the original drive, and if it is, you're going to apply for warranty service.

Simple huh?

EDIT: There's a youtube video (two-part) that documents the entire Comer process... worth a watch if you have apprehension.

5. May 2, 2011 #5 of 32
    midlomuncher

midlomuncher New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    No cons. Do it. You will not regret it.

6. May 3, 2011 #6 of 32
    rfryar

rfryar My Media, My Way

Feb 15, 2008
    Cottage...
    Well I have a con, it has to do with suggested shows and the HDUI. Any time you have more than 100 shows it takes FOREVER to delete or page down/up.

Otherwise basic functionality is great with an increased HD.

Rick

7. May 3, 2011 #7 of 32
    Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    What does that have to do with this thread? Or are you suggesting we downsize our HDD so we have capacity for fewer recorded shows?

8. May 3, 2011 #8 of 32
    TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    If you have that many shows and didn't upgrade your HDD/have an XL, your HDD is probably full already! :D

9. May 3, 2011 #9 of 32
    midlomuncher

midlomuncher New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    The HDUI is dead to me. I forgot it existed. My TP~TP transfers are much faster than TP~THD. I'm glad I replaced my S3 & THD with 2 TPs.

10. MrSkippy53

MrSkippy53 New Member

Jan 27, 2011
    If you upgrade to a 2T drive you can not participate in TiVo's beta software program.

11. rfryar

rfryar My Media, My Way

Feb 15, 2008
    Cottage...
    I was saying that AFTER I UPGRADED my box the suggested shows record upwards of 200 shows. The UI does not respond well with this many shows. That was the point I was making. He asked for PROS and CONS, that is a CON of upgrading the device. Small con, but a con.

Rick

12. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Hey all,

Thanks for the input. Like I said before I am not "Scared" of upgrading the drive in the Premier XL unit. Because I did an upgrade several times on my TiVo S3 unit.

Actually I did 3 (THREE) upgrades to my S3. I used DVRUpgrade.com's "Instant Cake" disc. I did it 3 times just to see what difference their was in performance between having the stock drive, a 10k rpm drive, A SSD drive & a 7200rpm 1TB drive. There were LOTS of performace gains from a 10k drive & the SSD drive, although one has to sacrifice Space for performace. I settled on using the 1TB drive. The process using the DVD Instant cake software disc was fast, easy & painless as it PERSERVED all of my recorded shows, as well as all of the downloaded firmware updates TiVo did.

They also have a new release of Instant cake that will work with the TiVo Premier as well. Which of course will preserve any previously recorded shows. This of course won't be an issue because I will do an upgrade on the unit before I have recorded any shows to it. The process is easy & I know how to do it. So I am not "scared" of the process or opening the box on my TiVo.

I simply wanted to mainly know of any other Pros &/or cons to upgradeing the hard drive that I might not have found in scouring the web & TiVo forums here.

Some of your insights I didn't even think of. Such as the beta program, & warranty. I kind of knew that about the warranty. Keep the old drive safe! Then again when looking at the warranty of a new box, it's only 90 days anyways, unless you spend either $30 for a 2 year, or $40 for a 3 year at the time of purchase. I didn't keep the drive on my S3 when I upgraded, but it was also giving the TiVo "issues". Funny too as it has been working perfectly since (I put it in a USB/eSata box & use it as a spare drive). Although when I upgraded the S3 those "issues" went away too. Crazy. But thats another story.

OBTW.... The DVRupgrade Instant Cake disc for the TiVo P as I understand it will allow you to "Marry" a eSata drive with the internal drive as well so if I wanted or needed I could do a 2tb internal with a 2TB external. I don't need that much space, as I can easily transfer off the shows to my NAS enabled DLNA servers that I have (Total of 50TB) Just need enough space in my TiVo to record about 1 month of shows when I am gone traveling. Even that is a little overkill as well, since I do have a Slingbox Pro HD as well.

Thanks for everyones reponse. Will keep monitoring the thread for more thoughts on the subject as well.

TGC

13. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I don't understand why you would pay extra for the XL model if you are going to upgrade the drive anyway. $200 seems expensive for a backlit remote and a THX logo.

14. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    I have 600+ shows recorded on my 2TB Premiere. I use the SDUI. I see no response issue here.

15. rfryar

rfryar My Media, My Way

Feb 15, 2008
    Cottage...
    Again I stated on my first post using the HDUI has this performance issue.

Also do you have all 600 shows on one screen in the SDUI or are they broken out by show titles?

On the HDUI the suggested shows is all one category and paging through it is slow, deleting is slow and every now and then the green circle stays for long periods of time or until you back out and go back into suggested shows.

But anyways we have strayed from the topic.

16. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    Some of both. My largest "show folder" has 319 episodes presently, FWIW.

17. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    Well, I'd say now we are all participating in Tivo's beta software program! :p

18. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    +1
    :D:D:D

19. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    I LOL'd at that one - nice! :up:

20. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    From what I read about the Premiere, I'd say you're all Alpha's:)