Hard drive to use for recordings only not flash.

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by cris2267, Mar 24, 2011.

1. cris2267

cris2267 New Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Is there a way for me to upgrade my tivos (series 2 and hd) so that the cache is done on hardstate flash memory? and the hard drive is only used for recordings? Ive checked the net and cant find anything) That would be great since most hard drive failures are caused by the constant spinning of the drives 24 hours a day during caching.
    [solved] http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=8444548 flash chat

2. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    I don't think so.
    There was a cachecard designed for the series 1 TiVos, but even it didn't do what you're interested in. It just moved the database stuff off into dedicated RAM to speed up the user interface.

And I've someone here (sorry, couldn't turn up the post with a quick search) swapped out the entire harddrive for a SSD.

But I haven't seen anything that would let you just redirect the buffers onto a flash drive. (And given flash's write limits a small drive handling just the buffers might fail well before a hard drive)

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  4. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    I did it, but only did it for about a couple of months before I switched back to a regular hard drive.

It did improve performace of the UI a great deal, but at the reduced size of recording capacity and the huge cost of SSD's, I don't think it is worth the extra investment.

As in the speed improvement of the UI wasn't enough to compensate for the lower recording capability and the increased cost.

Hard drives are so cheap now, and most have such a long waranty on them anyways that at least for myself, I end up upgarding the hard drive with a newer higher capacity drive before the warranty even expires on the older drive.

Also keep in mind that the TiVo's still are currently limited on the maximum size you can even use on one.

S3 the largest Single drive is 1TB but you can use 1 internal and one eSata drive for a total of 2 TB's

The TivoHD you can use an internal 2TB and an external 1TB for a total of 3TB's

And the Premeire units.. max size is 2TB internal, 2TB external. Total of 4TB's.

Currently you can get a good 2TB drive for $99 with a 5 year warranty! If it dies... then Seagate will replace it no big deal. EVen if you go past the warranty, In 5 years, 2TB drives will be around $30 or even less! Heck... filling your gas tank will cost ya more than that! (Unless you have an electric car)

TGC

5. Noodles168

Noodles168 New Member

May 25, 2011
    NE PA
    As an adjunct to Texas Grill Chef's great info of 5-30. I was contemplating a couple of 2TB hard drives and a ESata Dock from TigerDirect.com. The 2Tb drive was $80 and the E-Sata dock was on sale for $20. (reg. $40+) I was thinking that the Dock would allow easy drive swapping. Fill one up, swap in another. Don't know for sure if that would work.

6. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    that wont work with a tivo.

it stripes the recordings across both the internal drive and the external drive. So when you pull an external drive tivo nukes all the recordings from the day you installed the external drive forward.

7. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I have a 2TB internal drive in my 648 Series 3.

8. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    It won't work unless you only have on drive, and that one drive is the one you're swapping.

Even if it did work, it sounds like a pretty inconvenient solution, to have to swap drives and wait for the thing to reboot, just to access some old TV program. A better solution would be to selectively offload them to a PC and archive them in a logical manner (that way you at least know and choose what's been archived).

Regardless, I've found over the last 10 years of Tivo ownership that anytime I filled up a hard drive, and programming started being deleted, that those things had a very low chance of ever being watched anyway. There's a reason why the programs sat around until they were wiped to make space.

9. Jun 1, 2011 #9 of 10
    Noodles168

Noodles168 New Member

May 25, 2011
    NE PA
    Good points guys. I really appreciate the insight and feedback.

10. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you getting to use all of it, or just the first 1.2TB?