Hard drive / TiVo software

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by limoman, Dec 11, 2020.

1. limoman

limoman Member

Mar 27, 2003
    Southern MA

Advertisements

When replacing the hard drive in a Bolt+, can I simply install a new "recommended" drive? Or do I also need to copy the TiVo operating software to the new drive?

2. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Just install a blank drive, the Bolt will format it, the max it will do with no help from you is 3TB, if you do over that there are steps you can do to expand it.

3. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Not sure what interface the OP is using but I thought I read that the new interface, TE4, would format a drive up to 14TB.

4. limoman

limoman Member

Mar 27, 2003
    Southern MA
    That's great to hear. I remember in the "old days", we needed to copy over the TiVo software. Thanks for info.

5. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008

Advertisements

"Recommended" is the key. For 2.5" drives less than a handful, maybe only one if talking 3TB. External many options, as long as a CMR drive. Double check a "recommendation" as much has changed, some drives that used to be recommended here have been changed by the manufacturer and no longer work, need specific model numbers.

6. limoman

limoman Member

Mar 27, 2003
    Southern MA
    Thanks Tommage1.

7. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Then you're talking external drives, etc, and without knowing or wanting to dig into the "which OS are you running" part it can be easier to just give a simple correct answer that works for all OSs IMNSHO

limoman likes this.