Hard Drive Test Fail & Next Steps

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Haselmaier, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Haselmaier

Haselmaier New Member

Feb 23, 2006
    [Apologies in advance if this is covered someplace. My attempt to do some Searching were not successful.]

I have a roughly 5 year old Series 2 (TCD540040) that is acting a bit flaky: Freezing during playback, pixelation, random reboots. This unit has the original hard drive in it (40GB?) and a Weakneees add-on drive. (Don't recall the size.)

I ran the hard drive tests and get a "Fail 2" on the Primary Drive on the various tests. My questions:
    1. What does "Fail 2" mean? How severe is that?
    2. If I want to keep using this unit is my only option to get a new primary drive? Is there any way the upgrade drive can be used as the only drive for that unit? (Well - I know it *could* be the primary drive - but I'm asking from the standpoint of whether changes to that drive would need to be made. I very much presume so, assuming the main drive for booting and OS is on the original drive.

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth putting more money into this Series 2 or getting a Premiere. I know the Premiere does more stuff - which would be great. But it's also more expensive.

Thanks.

Jim

2. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    You could use the add-on drive as the primary drive, but it requires that you re-image the drive with a backup image. If you never made a backup then you'll either have to get a new drive from Weaknees or other source or resort to getting an overpriced copy of InstantCake for $40 and restore the image yourself.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    When you say you ran the hard drive tests, do you mean you ran Kickstart 54 on the TiVo, or that you hooked the drives up to a computer and ran the manufacurer's diagnostics, particularly the long test?

Have you eyeballed the capacitors in the power supply?

4. Haselmaier

Haselmaier New Member

Feb 23, 2006
    I ran Kickstart 54 to do the hard drive test.

I have not eyeballed the power supply capacitors.
    1) I didn't know that could tell one anything.
    2) What does one look for?

Thanks.

Jim

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Pull the drives and test them on a computer with the manufacturer's diagnostic software, especially the long test.

While you've got the TiVo apart, check the power supply.

Go read

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

and then have a look at

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=479176&highlight=broken

for an excellent picture that shows how subtle the visual clues can be.

Chances are good that your original drive (a Maxtor?) has developed problems, but that doesn't mean the power supply might not have developed problems as well.