Hard drive swap: Can it be done?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Prepper, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Prepper

Prepper Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Colorado...
    I have 2 HR10-250's and 2 Philipps DSR 700's. I want to upgrade all the hard drives to give me more space, but I'm wondering if the following is possible?

(1) Can I take the 250-GB hard drive from each of the HR10s and move them to the DSR 700s?

(2) Can I buy a 500-GB SATA hard drive and make it work in the HR10? What do I need to make it work? [CompUSA has the 500-GB SATA drives this week for $179 after rebate. Has anyone seen a 750-GB that's not too expensive?]

(3) Where can I get step-by-step instructions for prepping all the drives so that they can be moved to the respective receivers? (assuming # 1 is possible)

Thanks for your help!

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    1) Yes... but you will need to apply the appropriate image to the drive
    2) No... The HR10-250 has no SATA connections. You will need standard ATA interface drives (Which there are 500gb models)... The 750 is SATA only (At least Segates version)
    3) Basically any of the upgrade procedures, see Weeknesses website for an interactive version, and PTVUpgrades for information on the images (InstatCake)

Or head over to the upgrade section on this forum system.

3. doctor J

doctor J New Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Vestavia...
  4. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    huh... how did I miss that?

Thanks for the update and correction (Regarding the 750 ATA)

5. Prepper

Prepper Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Colorado...
    Thanks for the info. Glad to know I'll be able to get the benefit of more storage without having to buy 4 new hard drives.

I thought I saw somewhere that there was an adaptor that let you connect an SATA drive to an IDE controller, I'll have to search.

Is that the best deal going on a 750 GB drive for HD-Tivos? (not counting Weaknees)

6. bpratt

bpratt New Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    CompUSA also has the 500 GB ATA drive on sale for $179 after rebate.