Hard Drive Stuffed? Guidance?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by einstein, Dec 27, 2005.

1. einstein

einstein New Member

Jul 19, 2001

Advertisements

I believe my Tivo's hard drive has died, after power-up (plugging in the AC cable), I get the Welcome - Power-up on the TV, the hard drive drive-spins, sounds like there's a marble running around inside, and then the Tivo resets to Welcome - Power-up on the TV, it does this approx 3 times, and then nothing. When I plug in my Tivo now, I get nothing, is the "Welcome Power-Up" read from the hard drive?

Is it safe to assume the hard drive is dead, I checked all the cables, and tested the voltages on the power supply, and all the voltages appear to be there.

The tivo hard drive light flashes, but doesn't spin-up, which makes me believe it's dead, if I use another hard drive (not tivo configured), this drives spins up.

Tivo Green Status LED and FAN always start-up.

This is an original Tivo not modded, purchased when they first arrived in the UK in Sept/Oct (long time ago). I don't know what Tivo version is on it 2.5.5 or 2.5.5a.

Is they any point in installing in a PC and running Maxtor tools?

2. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    The voltages from the TiVo PSU are very load-dependent. You can't really check the voltages unless the PSU is fully-connected.

3. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    It sounds like a dead drive.

If another drive spins up then it's unlikely to be a PSU problem. A quick check of the drive in your PC with PowerMax or Hitachi's DFT should confirm the diagnosis - although if it's a Quantum or Maxtor drive you will need to unlock it with DiskUtil (assuming it spins up in your PC) before you can properly test it.

4. einstein

einstein New Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Checked with Fluke DC Clamp Meter, so no need to disconnect the hard drives and cables!

5. einstein

einstein New Member

Jul 19, 2001

Advertisements

Is the Welcome message displayed from "BIOS" or hard drive?

6. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    The welcome message is displayed by the TiVo's rudimentary BIOS if it detects a hard drive it can spin up. You should have seen the message when you tried your non-TiVo drive.

7. einstein

einstein New Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I've tested the hard drive in my PC, it powers-up and spins, recognised by PC, and with Maxtor PowerDiags 3 & 4, and completeted the 90 seconds test (quick test) and it confirms the drive is okay.

I've ordered a replacement power supply, as the Quantum causes the Tivo to reset, maybe the Seagate drive I have uses less current, and it can spin-up. I needed some new remote controls anyway.

8. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Sounds like good news.

However, the 90 second test doesn't do that much, so while you have the drive out you might as well run the advanced test to check the integrity of the whole drive.

9. einstein

einstein New Member

Jul 19, 2001
    thanks, I'll give the advanced test a go, I've just been recovering my PC after a Norton 2006 disaster!

But the drive spins-up, which is more than it does in Tivo, I think the psu might have been on the way out, because it's been very lazy, you plug the Tivo in somedays, and it takes a few minutes to come to life!

10. einstein

einstein New Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Okay back with more results, suspecting that the Tivo drive does not spin up in the Tivo, i) I cannot hear it or feel the gyro motion if you move the hard drive slightly, I suspected the power supply was at fault, no great loss, as a replacement psu is always worth having. I've replaced the psu, and the Tivo started into life once and once only, confirming that at least the hard drive may be okay.

I've just completed the PowerMax Diags Advanced Long Test and it completes with no errors on a PC, (I didn't run the unlock program, do I need to do this?) also the drive spins up when connected to the PSU, but not ide cable connected.

If I connect the Tivo hard drive in the Tivo to the power cable, the drive does not spin up.

If I connect a 40GB Seagate hard drive to the power cable in the Tivo, this hard drive powers-up, any one know why this is, all the Tivo hard drive does is flash its data light a few times.

This is just a standard hard drive, I would have thought it should spin-up when connected to a power supply as in a PC, these are not scsi drives which have a spin-up command, so I'm confused here.

Don't have a TV in the garage where I'm testing, so cannot view any output on the Tivo screen.

I going to use the cables from the Tivo on the PC, with Tivo hard drive, and see if the cables are the issue.

Failing that I've got an image I'll put on this spare 40GB Seagate, and see If I can bring this Tivo back to life.

Some more information, this Tivo unit, may have been hit by a voltage surge, that has killed the modem, as the modem stop working after a lighting storm!

Any one have replacement Tivo system board?

11. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Hmmm,

I've seen a Quantum drive get in a similar state to this. Don't know what caused it, but the drive would only spin up if a broken "B" drive was connected to the same power rail. I wasn't able to fix it.

I would suggest that if you can make a backup of it in a PC, now is the time to do it.

12. einstein

einstein New Member

Jul 19, 2001
    okay, good advice, do you think I need to Unlock it on the PC, and run the test again?

If I could be a pain in the arse, could you point me to a url where I can download an iso image of the tools, it's been a while, since I blessed drives!

13. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    If it's a Quantum then it will be locked. Use DiskUtil to unlock it.

Blessing is a bit old hat these days. MFSTools 2.0 is the tool of choice and usage is fully described in the Hinsdale guide. If you are configuring a drive > 120GB the use the LBA48 version of the MFSTools CD rather than the one linked to by Hinsdale, specify a swapsize the same in mb as your drive is in GB (for future expansion) and run copykern choosing kernel option 1 afterwards to copy the LBA48 kernel and initialise the big swap.

14. Kissxofxdeath

Kissxofxdeath New Member

Jan 5, 2006
    London
    Hi.
    I am having some problems. Apologies but Im a bit of technophobe so "noddy" language replies would be much appreciated.
    I have a standard unmodified basic TiVo. At the moment all I am getting is a blue screen. I can still watch previously recorded stuff so I hope that means the hard drive is ok. Nothing new is being recorded and the link between the TiVo and the cable box is the source of the problem I think. I tried taking out the SCART lead and turning it round. I rang TiVo and they took me through a Guided Restart which failed. I am able to get my (analogue) cable on non-AV channels and I can change channels on the cable box manually. Initially, the TiVo handset was still changing channels even though it was a blue screen but after the guided set-up that stopped working as well.
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    I should mention that the TiVo people suggested that the RF (whatever that means) signal might not be being received by TiVO. Any ideas?
    KOD

15. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    (I don't think your problem is in anyway related so a fresh thread would be better but perhaps a newbie isn't allowed to post new threads - can't remember).

If you press Aux on the Tivo remote do you get a picture from cable?

If you do this would indicate a problem in the Tivo. Try connecting the cable direct to your TV.

If you don't then it suggests a problem with the SCART lead or RF lead between the cable box and Tivo. The SCART lead or RF lead between the Tivo and TV is OK because you can see your recordings so don't mess with that.

16. einstein

einstein New Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Thanks for your help, I browsed the web and downloaded mfstool2 to make a backup and discovered this:-

[​IMG]

I can see clearly from this, as I know a little Linux, there is obviosuly a problem with the Tivo hard drive and partitions, as I would expect there to be three partitions (I think!).

Would you agree?

and if I try mfstools to backup the drive, a get a screen full of garbage and it hangs! Certainly doesn't give me any prompt after scanning drive.

17. Rob Nespor Bellis

Rob Nespor Bellis Grumpy Sod

Feb 17, 2001
    ~, Brighton, UK
    That message is quite normal, the TiVo disk is byteswapped so that is why the MFStools boot CD sees 9214 rather than 1492.

If you boot using one of the other TiVo boot CD's which normally byte swap hdb,hdc and hdd you will get a listing of the partitions available.

What error messages are you getting from MFStools? What is the backup command you are using?

Rgds,

R.

18. einstein

einstein New Member

Jul 19, 2001
    from the mkfstools:-

For a single drive TiVo (Any):

# mfsbackup –6so /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc

do i need to use the l32 option?

no error message from mfsbackup is displayed, the screen fills with garbage, and hangs.

19. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Full marks for initiative - but I provided a link to the recommended CD in the very post you have quoted!
    TiVo drives are byteswapped, so to see the partitions listed at startup you need to boot in byteswapped mode.
    Try the CD I linked to.

Edit: Doh! I knew I shouldn't have gone to make a cuppa in the middle of writing a post!

20. Kissxofxdeath

Kissxofxdeath New Member

Jan 5, 2006
    London
    Hi AMc
    Thanks very much for the reply. Perhaps I should have started a new thread as you suggest but I wasnt sure about the newbie rule either. Apologies for my delayed reply - Ive been out all afternoon.

I do indeed get cable if I press Aux. I am convinced that there is nothing wrong with the cable which does sadly suggest the issue is with the TiVo. Does anyone have any suggestions as to who I can send it to. I found a company called "Pacelink" online but they are based in Co Fermanagh and I am in Camberwell, London. Or does anyone have any other ideas. What is this "emergency reboot code 58" I read about on another thread? Might that help me?

All help gratefully received. Thanks.

KoD