Hard drive replacement?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ldavenport, Feb 9, 2012.

1. ldavenport

ldavenport New Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I have a series 3HD TiVo. Model TCD652160. I also have a wesern digital external hard drive on it. My network connection failed with error message SO3. I didn't do any research before tring a force connect. Now it's stuck on "loading info (preparing to load). I then started reading up. It looks like my hard drive is bad and needs replacing. I looked on weaknees, they seem expensive. I found some hard drive upgrades on eBay at a decent price, but is a hard drive upgrade the same as replacing the hard drive? I was looking at getting a larger hard drive and leaving off the external hard drive since I think this may have helped cause my problem. I'm new to all this and I just don't want to order the wrong thing.

2. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    The problem could be with either the internal or external drive since they are not independent as far as the TIvo is concerned. I suggest disconnecting the external drive and running drive tests on the internal drive (i.e.: Western Digital drive tools). If the internal drive passes the drive tests, you can re-image that drive and get back online. If you need or want to replace the internal drive the best route to go is to buy a big drive and forget about using the external drive. Free SW tools are available if you want to image the new drive yourself and I have images for the S3HD I can point you to.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC