Hard Drive Is Loud

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jwuq1234, Dec 25, 2005.

1. jwuq1234

jwuq1234 New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    The hard drive in my Tivo Series 2 DVR is getting louder and louder and I am sure it is going to go up at any time. Is it possible to ghost the hard drive before it goes up and put a new hard drive in it or do I have to go buy another tivo?

I'm hoping Ghosting will work.......Much cheaper due to the life time subscription on this particular Tivo.

If it is possible can you give me instructions on how to do it.

Thanks

2. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    With TiVo's it is not called ghosting, but yes, the hard drive can be backed up and restored to a new drive using the free software available as mentioned at the top of this forum. You will have to do some considerable reading if you want to do this yourself, or you can opt for some of the forum sponsors who you can pay to do this for you.

3. jwuq1234

jwuq1234 New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    How do I go about having someone do it for me. Is there anybody that will sponsor this?

4. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    You can also buy a new drive pre-loaded with the TiVo software that you can easily install yourself.

No matter what you do with the hard drive the lifetime subscription information will stay. It's tied to the TiVo service number.

5. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    If you want to avoid doing "considerable reading", just go to WeakNees interactive online instructions: http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/.

It's a lot easier than it seems.

/Mike

6. jwuq1234

jwuq1234 New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    Can I do this. I have 2 TiVo's. Can I take the bad HD out of the bad one and put the one out of the good one into the bad one with out having to do any programing at all?