Hard Drive Help

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bassman6805, Aug 1, 2007.

1. bassman6805

bassman6805 New Member

Jun 26, 2007
    I have a series 2 that I don't use anymore. Can somebody give me the specs for the hard drive? It's the 40 hour one. I have been told that you can take it out and use on your pc. I am wanting to know the model and size or where to find out.

2. cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI
    Its a maxtor quickview 40 gb, ,5400 rpm, ata 133 I believe. As to the model number, not sure, why dont you take it out and have a looksie? They used a few different model #'s I heard, some of the drives arent even quickviews but a large majority of them are, I run 2 of my machines in my household with drives pulled from Tivo's they are perfect for an OS drive not to big and not to small. Did you want to get rid of the series 2?

3. bassman6805

bassman6805 New Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Yes. I don't use it anymore. I wanted to put it in my daughters room but you can't do anything with it unless you have the service. I figured you could at least do manual recordings but no. I had the service for over 2 years. I think that is Tivo's best kept secret. If I had know that when I bought the box it wouldn't do anything without the service I never would have bought it. Anyway, I thought about taking out the hard drive and using it for something else.

4. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    MAXTOR QuickView - Hard drive - 40 GB - internal - 3.5 - ATA-133

Mfg Part No: 2F040L0QV20PK

Also, you can only do Manual Recordings with the Series 1 units not the Series 2.