Hard Drive from SA Series 2 -> Huges DVR SD-DVR40

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by ducker, Aug 20, 2007.

1. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    Can I simply move my upgraded hard drive in a SA Series 2 into a DirecTiVo Huges DVR SD-DVR40?

I really don't want to blow away all the programing on it and format the hard drive...

If I need to I will, or I'll search around for a cheap new hard drive to format and image for the Huges.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You can't and keep the recordings.

If you want to put that drive in another DVR of a different make/model, you need to treat that drive as blank and image it from the other TiVos drive, wiping its existing contents, including recordings.

If you would sooner keep those recordings to watch, leave that drive in the old DVR, or pull them to a PC with TiVoToGo.

3. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    yea... for right now I have the SA tivo just hooked up as an AUX input device to my receiver just to watch that content while I can.

Any suggestions to a type of hard drive to the DirecTivo units??? for the SA it was rpm of 5400 ATA 100 drives preferred. The faster the spin the louder they were.

4. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    Any PATA drive will do.

5. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    now I need to either find a great deal on a drive, or swap out the other one... (which I don't want to do really)

6. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    is there a single drive size limit on the huges units?

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Not really, for drives currently on the marketplace.

8. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    what doesn't make sense to me, is why the upgrade instructions are identical... yet I can't just swap the hard drive. why is that?

sorry I'm being a doofus, I forgot I need to hook up the original unit drive to the new drive to image it as well... duh