Hard Drive Fried

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by decavent, Feb 4, 2006.

1. decavent

decavent New Member

Feb 4, 2006

Advertisements

I have an old Philips Series 1 with a lifetime subscription and the hard drive just ate itself. I just purchased a new HDD that I was planning on adding as an additional drive in the next few weeks. Is there any way for me to now install this as a solo drive in my TiVo without having the original drive to back up?

2. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Instant cake (google it) is the easiest way. Begging for an image is slightly cheaper.

3. punchinboy

punchinboy New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    The site for buying the image is PTVupgrade.com. This is where the instacake cd can be purchased. You just search for your manufacturer and model and order the cd.

Make sure to buy cd for your unit as they are specific setups for each tivo's hardware. You then can quite easily use your home desktop to do the imaging of the new drive.

I had same issue on a Sony unit and everything worked out great.

Good Luck.

4. decavent

decavent New Member

Feb 4, 2006
    I downloaded the appropriate version of InstantCake from the PTV site and ran it on the drive. I got a message of success, but when I loaded it into my TiVo, it sat on the boot screen permanently. Have I done something wrong or is there something else I need to do? Thanks.

5. kkita_lv

kkita_lv New Member

Jan 28, 2006

Advertisements

Did you check the jumper settings on the drive?

I made a mistake and left the tivo drive as slave. As soon as I put it on master it was no problem.

6. decavent

decavent New Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Yeah, it's definitely set as the master.

7. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    What "boot screen" display are you seeing?

Doublecheck that the drive's IDE and power cables are properly connected. If you're sure they are, it's possible that your Tivo has a power supply or motherboard problem. These are, unfortunately, much harder to repair. You can buy replacements from http://www.weakness.com.