Hard drive for Roamio Plus

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by cjgadd3, Dec 20, 2020.

1. cjgadd3

cjgadd3 Member

Mar 30, 2008

Advertisements

I have a Roamio Plus with the original drive that just turned 5 years old. It is a lifetimed unit and I am considering getting a new hard drive just to be prepared if the one in it croaks. What is the best one to use? I am looking at the WD10PURZ at Newegg. I really don't need a bigger drive. The only other Tivo drive I've replaced was a 160 GB in a HD. Do I need to do anything to the drive like format or anything? Is it just install and let Tivo do it's thing? All tips welcomed. Thanks in advance.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Back up your OnePasses and Channels list with KMTTG to make setup on the new drive simple.

Also, there's like 999 threads about that topic.

Check the Upgrades Forum.

-KP

3. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
  4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Why not just upgrade to a 3TB and be done with it. You do not need to do anything to it as the Roamio will prepare it on its own. Look for WD drives ending in EFRX or PURZ. avoid EFAX or any SMR type drives (doesn't work in Tivo).

5. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...

Advertisements

Go with the 3TB. It's nice to have the surge capacity for Olympics or other special events. I have a 3TB in my Roamio OTA, it's great, even though I'm now in the single-digit percentage full.