hard drive file corruption????

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by y2khardtop, Feb 15, 2007.

1. y2khardtop

y2khardtop New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Albemarle NC

Advertisements

My hr10-250 has a 750gig drive, and I've got tons of stuff on it. Several dozen HD movies, lots of shows for my kids, and usual TV for my wife and I.

Anyway, 2 days ago, one my of kids' cartoons was full of pixelation. Looked a bit like the signal does during a hard thunder storm, BUT the show was fine last time we watched it. So the corruption happened either during playback, or the file became damaged later.

Last night, my wife was watching American Idol, and the last 15min were all messed up. Really freaky. You could see the people's shape, but the colors were really skewed. You might see the American Idol background colors "wrapped" around the faces of the people.

Anyway, re-booted (clear suggestions and thumbs). The system works fine so far, but I'm afraid either I'll lose all of the shows I have, OR it will crash completely. I can burn my own images, so I'm not concerned about the unit dyeing completely, but the whole purpose of having the 750gig was to archive lots of shows.

Any thoughts???

2. smarsh66

smarsh66 New Member

Apr 17, 2004
    if you suspect a failing hard-drive....NOW is the time to Triage!

1. you could SpinRite it to try to get it diagnosed and happy again temporarily.....

2. i would clone it to a new drive.

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Have you tried a reboot? I know I've been mentioning that a lot lately, but it does seem to fix many weird problems. However, this may not be one of them. But, it's worth a try.

Hard drives will fail eventually. So, if there is something you really want to keep, I'd archive it to DVD. The HD recordings will be SD (unless you get an HD DVD recorder when available $$$$), but it's better than none.

4. y2khardtop

y2khardtop New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Albemarle NC
    As mentioned above, I rebooted, including a reset of thumbs and suggestions.

The drive is only 5 months old, so I don't think it is physically failing. I think the files themselves have become corrupted, and a clean install would fix everything. However, as said, that defeats the purpous of having a huge hard drive.

I know linux doesn't get fragmented like Windows, but I personally think there is a problem with the files structure itself over time. I guess I just don't Linux well enough

5. bqb

bqb New Member

Feb 11, 2007

Advertisements

Yes, Linux does suffer from fragmentation, as can all UNIXes and other operating systems. UNIX can be a bit better at preventing excessive fragmentation (yes, that's oversimplified). Don't be fooled that Linux can't suffer from this!

I don't know the Tivo file system layout, but I hope they keep the recordings in a separate file system, thereby allowing it to be "defragmented" by deleting everything (worst case) on that file system. Perhaps Tivo also has some internal routines for defragmenting when time allows?

6. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    The TiVo file system does fragment but it uses very large block sizes. Since it uses large blocks the effects of fragmentation will be minimal. Very little time is spent seeking compared to the actual I/O. As others have said it is most likely a failing hard drive.

The actual TiVo file system (not the linux partition) is a very simple filesystem. It is only a flat file system and does not support sub directories. Once something is recorded it is not rewritten so files will not become corrupt.