Hard drive failure ?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by CHAS ZOSS, Jul 10, 2006.

1. CHAS ZOSS

CHAS ZOSS New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    NORFOLK...

Advertisements

My Two year old HR10-250 has been acting strange lately, the picture freezes up then acts like it is playing in slow motion then picture gets blocky. I have been noticing on Xm radio channels the sound has drop outs. Could this be a hard drive failure? Is this easy to repair? Thanks Chas

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, it could be hard drive failure. Yes, it is easy to repair (with replacement disk and a suitable software image.)

3. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
  4. CHAS ZOSS

CHAS ZOSS New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    NORFOLK...
    Well if I go the Weakness route should I replace or add? I have a new unit from Direct tv coming next Wensday but would like to fix the old unit as cheap and EASY as possible. Thanks. Chas

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH

Advertisements

Why would you want to add a disk to one that is suspected of failing? Replace it.

If you want cheap, buy your own disk on sale and pay ptvupgrade.com $20 for an InstantCake bootable CD.

6. CHAS ZOSS

CHAS ZOSS New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    NORFOLK...
    Ok, I went the Weaknees route and bought a replacement hard drive 190.00 including 2 day shipping. Put it in took 15 minutes total, and my wife and I both think the picture looks better and has more vibrant color. Is that possible. Thanks for the advice. Chas

7. willardcpa

willardcpa QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Feb 23, 2001
    Eugene, OR USA
    If it makes the wife feel better about laying out the $190.00 sure, that's the ticket. ;)