Hard Drive Expanded—*by itself?*

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by SydniusToo, Jan 17, 2020.

1. SydniusToo

SydniusToo New Member

Aug 23, 2017
    I think my Roamio's HD expanded itself from 3TB to 4TB. Odd, right? Let's recap.

I gleefully bought a Roamio Plus and two Minis to replace my awful old STBs. It ran fine for a couple years, then its main drive died. My wife wanted me to keep all her programs intact if possible. I tried to copy the programs to another drive using mfstools and other arcane arts. Either through the obtuseness of the operator or programs, or perhaps the drive itself in a state of obsequiousness refusing to cooperate, I was unable to perform this operation after several days. As I said, the drive was clearly in a state of failure in its host TiVo.

As a last ditch effort to get a backup of my wife's precious recorded programs, I popped the drive in the freezer, allowed it to warm up without condensation, and as soon as it was warm enough to not condense, I dd'ed the contents to another drive. This worked! Of course, the only drives I had on hand were 4TB. The original drive I had in the TiVo was the 3TB "at the time size limit without arcane voodoo" I popped in there when first installed.

Yes, the cäblêçaRd wasn't happy about my UUID change with a different hard drive. One call to Verizon fixed that. We've been running ever since, with me knowing that there sits 1TB of free space lying in wait for someone or something to tell the Roamio of its existence. I stared at the 100% full indicator in indifferent silence. My wife was happy, so was I.

Imagine my surprise to see that 66% full indicator that happy day! I've visited the System Information pane; it seems oblivious to the change, showing the old 3TB 476 HD hours. I'm sure there's new space out of nowhere. I don't really want to pop the drive out to examine the partition map in detail, so I won't.

Has anyone information about why/how this expansion suddenly happened? I'm running Hydra. It's been great for a couple revs now, though it was rough getting here.

Mikeguy likes this.
  2. sakaike

sakaike Member

Jan 22, 2002
    Huntington...
    I'm gonna guess your wife deleted a bunch of recordings and didn't tell you. If the drive was indeed close to 100% originally, magically opening up another TB of space should have resulted in something like 75% full (3 TB out of 4 TB).

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Look in Settings / help/ system Information

A 4TB would have about 640 HD Hrs.
    A 3TB would have about 450 HD Hrs.

kpeters59 likes this.
  4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    From what I gather, the OP has done so and thinks that it is wrong (it is reporting the earlier numbers), and that there really is new space there. Let us have this fantasy. ;)

5. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Check the recently deleted folder to see what has been deleted.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Reported space, used or free, doesn't care about the recently deleted items folder.

shwru980r likes this.