Hard Drive Duplicator, example: AHDDUB100

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by rabidx, Dec 22, 2010.

1. rabidx

rabidx New Member

Aug 20, 2007

Advertisements

Does anyone know if using a drive duplicator,such as the Aluratek External SATA Portable External Hard Drive Duplicator AHDDUB100, would work in replicating the existing internal TIVO drive?

Thanks

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That's a lot of money to spend to avoid using a computer to do it.

3. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    So spend less money.

I have this one:
    http://serialgear.com/serialgear_us...7,170,161,2345,140,177,141,142&cats=111,99202

I have used it for connecting to two disks at once, but I didn't try cloning with it. It hosted my NAS drives and a DVD-burner while the enclosures were "up on the rack" and I just used it to check that the new 2TB drive for my Premiere is OK.

It seems to me that it has to do a bit-level copy so it should work if you use two of the same model drives, and even could work if if you have two drives of the same sizes.

Attached Files:

4. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Or you could just use "dd" and spend the money on beer.

5. rallykeeper

rallykeeper New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Southern...

Advertisements

A cheap option by Calvary showed up on NewEgg today and I'd been looking for a drive dock in any event for other purposes.

If I could get the drive duplicator to also help out with a TiVo hard drive upgrade and transfer, that would be be an added benefit.

I'm willing to be a guinea pig with this device, unless someone tells me that it shouldn't even work in theory.

I'd like to both copy an existing TiVo Premiere drive to a larger drive. I'm guessing the size growth is an issue, but thought I'd ask.

6. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    :up::up::up::D:D

7. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
  8. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo New Member

Feb 10, 1999
    Seattle, WA
    Use dd FIRST

Then enjoy the beer.

Else, you might dd in the wrong direction and .......... :eek:

9. rallykeeper

rallykeeper New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Southern...
    I'm an OS X user, don't have the time or inclination to build/borrow my own PC and for under $50, if it works, I'd rather use a disk duplicator.

I think a disk duplicator would also be a lot faster than weaKnees (there's no turnaround time shipping to my own house), and probably the same net cost.

If it doesn't work, I'll probably just use weaKnees.

10. Webguideguy

Webguideguy New Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Madison, WI
    Did anyone try this???

11. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Doesn't sound like it given that there are cheaper and better ways to do it. Also, if you were to just copy the drive, you wouldn't have the capability to expand the recording space. Tools like WinMFS, JMFS and MFSTools actually have the capability to add partitions for expanded recording space after you copy a drive to a larger drive. And on Tivos older than the Premieres, you can actually use a smaller image (typically 200MB-300MB) to create a Tivo drive directly without having to copy from one drive to the other.

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Does anybody know if the new Intel Macs will boot from the jmfs cd?

13. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    I think it does but I'll check when I get home from work and post for sure.

14. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    FWIW jmfs boots up on my Macbook (C2D version) and recognizes drives. Have not tried to manipulate any drives yet. Had to burn a cd as I could not get it to boot off a USB stick.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

15. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    Yes, but WinMFS will not copy drive A of a two drive setup to a new drive when the old drive is failing. And MFSTools is a pain in the neck.

I already have the Aluratek, just too chicken to try it.

So, has anyone tried it?

16. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    The OP was not worried about a two-drive setup. In order to keep the new drive married to the second drive I suspect that the new drive would have to be an exact copy. There are several SW cloning programs that will do that (I use Clonezilla to clone my desktop drive) but many of them likely use DD as the underlying tool (like Clonezilla and MFSTools do). If you have the HW duplicator already, then try it and post the results.

17. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    This (and many other tasks) would be made so much simpler if hard drive manufacturers provided a "Read Only" jumper on their drives, so there was zero risk of doing something bad to the original drive...

18. Elgato54

Elgato54 Member

Sep 21, 2010
    That's the best new idea I have heard in a long time.

19. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Most computer bios can set a drive to read only, few people in the world need this.

20. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Never seen a BIOS that could do this. And while there are devices that can put a drive into read-only, they tend to be fairly expensive because they analyze all the commands going to the drive and only fail the writes (they're made for law enforcement when they image drives to guarantee the evidence has not been tampered with).

Though, if you're using dd, it's easier to dd to a file then dd the file to the new drive. This way if you do it backwards, no harm done (you have a big empty file), and can dd again. And once you dd it back, you can save the file as a backup.

Oh, and a Mac can do this quite easily - being that it's a Unix system under the hood. I think OS X even has dd. The disk naming changes to /dev/diskN and partitions being /dev/diskNsM (using the BSD nomenclature where partitions are known as "slices"). Disk Utility can identify the right dev node.