Hard drive advice.

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by 2004raptor, Jan 11, 2006.

1. 2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA

Advertisements

I'm almost ready to take the plunge on swapping my 40GB tivo drive for a bigger one. Somone on another forum suggested this samsung. Does anyone have any first hand experience with it or any other samsung drive?
    I've bought numerous drives for desktop pc's (maxtor, wd, ibm) but never a samsung. Nothing wrong with them, I'm sure. Just never heard much about them.
    BTW I am mainly looking for something quiet and reliable. storage is fine @ ~250GB+.

Any other suggestions?

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I've had good experience with my 80 GB Samsungs, although for more than half a year both have been in my PCs, with WD drives in my TiVos (albeit one is the original drive)..

3. 2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    Haven't hit the "order" button yet. Any other input on this?

4. Pauli

Pauli New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Long Beach, CA
    Samsung drives have been popular with the "Quiet PC" crowd for a few years now. The P80 series of drives (which go up to only 160GB) have been the choice for 3.5" drives and the drive you linked to is the next generation P120 drive that are offered in higher capacities than the P80 series. The reports of these newer Samsungs have generally been that they are not quite as quiet as the P80 drives, but they are a very good choice because they support AAM for quietening the seek noise, which is important for TiVo usage.

5. pdrph

pdrph New Member

Apr 26, 2008

Advertisements

I just upgraded my Series 2 from 40gig to a Maxtor 200gig. The first hard drive (Maxtor) crashed after 6 weeks. I purchased it from Hinsdale pre-loaded with the TIVO Software. Hinsdale replaced the drive with another Maxtor. The first Maxtor clicked loudly before it crashed. The replacement Maxtor is clicking as well, but hasn'e crashed (it's been in the box for about 6 months). I had to squeeze a Luxurae Hard Drive Silencer in the case just so I can sleep at night!! Whatever you do, avoid Maxtor!!!

6. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
  7. Tivo_60

Tivo_60 NY State of Mind

Jun 13, 2003
    Long Island, NY