hard disk died in my S3. Repair or toss?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by ccoulson, Jul 23, 2011.

1. ccoulson

ccoulson Member

May 24, 2003
    My S3 apparently has a fried hard disk - I am stuck on the "Almost there..." screen. So, the question is, do pay Weaknees for a replacement drive ($200 for the 750Gb I currently have) or just get a new Premiere (they are under $100 on Amazon now!).

I also understand folks are interested in old S3 units.

By the way, I still have an S2 DT and an early S2 single tuner that have been chugging along with no problem since 2002!

2. Mars Rocket

Mars Rocket Loosely wound

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    What kind of service did you have for it?

3. ccoulson

ccoulson Member

May 24, 2003
    Month to month on the second unit discount. I haven't discontinued it yet.

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Do you have the original drive or did you buy it already upgraded? You could bake your own replacement 1TB drive for the price of the drive and your time. Even if you have to go the instantcake route, it is still <$100. Or you could go with dvr dude. The drive in the Premiere you are talking about is less than half the size of your current drive.

5. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The premiere has a higher subscription rate than the S3. You might want to check Craig's list for a cheap Tivo HD.

6. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Get an image for the S3 and restore it to a new drive, assuming that's what the actual problem is. It's probably your cheapest and best solution. You can buy a pre-configured drive from Weaknees or one of the other vendors, but restoring a backup image isn't rocket science, and certainly not worth the premium price they slap on the drive.

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Are you talking TCD648xxx, "thermometer front" Series 3, i.e., pre-HD and HD XL?

8. ThreeSoFar

ThreeSoFar FourNow...WaitFive

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    +1

I have an image for that one. PM me if interested.

9. WebG

WebG New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    Had the exact same dilemma. A new drive is (in essence) the cost of the low-end Premiere unit. If you're going month-to-month already, it's a complete toss-up as to which way you go. If you have lifetime on the S3, it's probably worth the effort to go the HD route yourself -- you could be done in an evening, it's not that difficult a process compared to what it used to be.

10. mjsmith3

mjsmith3 Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Fairfield, CT
    I'm having the same issue with a Tivo HD TCD648250B. If anyone has an image please PM me. Thanks

11. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    Unless you have a real wish to be annoyed by the Premiere's unfinished HD menus and a higher subscription cost, just replace the drive.

12. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    I would replace the drive.

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I'd be interested in buying the unit for parts.

14. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I WORSHIP my S3 and you'll have to pry it form my cold dead hands, as much as I enjoy my Premiere the S3 beats it hands down in every way.

15. cwolfey

cwolfey Member

Nov 12, 2006
    OK, So is there a way for us with working fine S3's to do a imgae backup of the existing hard drive in case of failure

Sorry..nevermind, Should have looked around first!

16. waffle

waffle New Member

Sep 7, 2003
    California
    I'm in the same boat as many others. I have an S3 (TCD648250B) whose disk has failed and trying to find an image to restore with mfstools. I tried to PM someone who'd said they had one, but it seems I have to post 10 times before I can PM anyone.

Guess this is one. I'd prefer to not have to create 10 spam posts to be able to PM.

17. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    If you do that, you will be banned, and you'll have to start all over. ;)

18. waffle

waffle New Member

Sep 7, 2003
    California
    A member PM'd me to offer an image. I can't reply to the PM, so posting a "thank you" here.

19. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you do that often enough you will have enough posts to be able to send PMs.:)

As long as you're opening that unit up, be sure to closely inspect the power supply capacitors, 'cause that's getting to be an S3 and HD problem.

20. srydalch

srydalch New Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Must be a common problem. I have an S3 (TCD648250B) whose disk has failed and I have no backup image. I can't seem to find the image but see that others have apparently found the solution through restoring an image. Can I get an image for my S3?