Hard disc dead?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by gadg, Aug 16, 2007.

1. gadg

gadg Registered User

Feb 19, 2002
    Does this sound like a dead hard disc (as opposed to a PSU or motherboard fault)?

For the last few weeks Tivo has been rendomly restarting, often getting stuck at the Powering Up or Almost There screens. After a cold boot it comes back to life.

But this evening for the first time it's gone to a GSOD and got stuck there.

If it does seem like a disc problem I'll buy a new one and swap it. But don't want to then find it was something else after all.

The box is an unmodified standard UK Tivo, in constant use for five years or so.

Thanks for any pointers.

David

2. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    After five years it deserves a new hard drive anyway :)

A chance does exist the PSU is playing up but I would start with a new hard drive.

Do you know if you had the 2.5.5a upgrade?

This matters if the drive you are selecting is greater than 137Gb as the new disc must then have an image with the current software version to avoid problems.

Automan.

3. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Sounds like the hard drive to me.

If you don't want to face doing the upgrade yourself you can always buy a fully pre-configured hard drive from www.tivoheaven.co.uk or www.tivoland.com

4. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Thanks for the plug Pete :)

Yes, it definitely sounds like a faulty drive to me.

As Automan says you need to ensure that you get a new drive with the correct software version as most replacement drives these days are > 137gb. At least one of the better suppliers will give you a refund (less a handling charge) if the drive fails to cure your problem, although forum rules prevent me from saying who they are... ;)

5. gadg

gadg Registered User

Feb 19, 2002
    Thanks, blindlemon. That's exactly what I needed to know.

6. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    You could also consider the Tivoheaven Hooch download service that simplifies the process of doing the upgrade yourself on your own desktop PC or even their bare drive configuration service, where you send them your chosen hard drive to upgrade and pay them a modest fee to configure it.

7. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    On the other hand if your current Tivo is not lifetime subbed you might want to check out www.ebay.co.uk as a Tivo with a Lifetime Sub, Cachecard and 512MB of RAM now often sells for a remarkably modest price. Especially in these times of collapsing stockmarkets when everybody is feeling pessimistic.......

8. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    There are log entries that could help determine if the drive is failing. Can you access them?

9. gadg

gadg Registered User

Feb 19, 2002
    Pete, thanks for the tips.

Ciper, what's the method for accessing the log entries? At the moment I can't get beyond the GSOD.

10. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    If you have a spare PC that you can put the TiVo drive in and boot from the SiliconDust NIC CD then you can mount the /var partition (9) and check the logs.

However, if you are stuck in a GSOD the likelihood that it's due to drive corruption is very high.

11. gadg

gadg Registered User

Feb 19, 2002
    Blindlemon, I've just signed up for a Hooch download. Looking forward to rolling my sleeves up!

12. gadg

gadg Registered User

Feb 19, 2002
    OK, back in business with Hooch and a new £20 drive. Touch wood, Tivo working fine so far...

13. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    What drive size did you get for £20? 120Gb perhaps?

14. gadg

gadg Registered User

Feb 19, 2002
    No, just 40gb - a direct replacement for the original drive.

Recording capacity has never been an issue in our house, and we seem to watch less and less TV.

Do you know of a 120gb disc for £20?

15. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    No I don't but you can get a 250Gb drive for about £40 and a 400Gb drive for about £60.

Don't forget that 250Gb at Best recording mode is only just over 80 hours of recording time.

16. gadg

gadg Registered User

Feb 19, 2002
    I'm a cheapskate, I know it.

17. gadg

gadg Registered User

Feb 19, 2002
    Well, it lasted a day. Then when I turned on the TV, nothing but a grey screen. No message.

A cold reboot brought it back to life, but for how long? It's obviously still not happy.

18. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    No message at all means the drive was not recognised by the TiVo BIOS.

Are you sure your £20 replacerment drive is 100% healthy? I would recommend using Samsung drives for TiVos - they are very quiet, reliable and reasonably priced :)

19. gadg

gadg Registered User

Feb 19, 2002
    Hmm, it booted fine after the Hooch process and again after a cold boot, just died somewhere in between.

The drive is a brand new Maxtor DiamondMax VL.

20. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    But its still a Maxtor. And I wouldn't think they have made any new 40Gb 3.5" IDE drives for quite a long time.