Happy Town - all season spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by sieglinde, May 2, 2010.

1. May 2, 2010 #1 of 62
    sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Anyone watching this? I watched the first episode and enjoyed it more than Harper's Island or whatever that other weird show was.

There seems to be more likely to be a supernatural explanation to this one, though it could turn out not to be supernatural at all. There are intriguing characters. The crazy sheriff and the movie memorabilia guy come to mind, though I think the protagonist is up to no good also.

2. May 2, 2010 #2 of 62
    stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I thought the first ep was pretty good. It kept my attention and was easy to keep the characters straight. Is this a limited series like Harper's Island? I like that idea for a summer series. It gives you answers and a concise ending.

3. May 2, 2010 #3 of 62
    MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Oddly enough, even though I've seen a ton of commercials for it, I didn't know it had already started. Thought it started this week. I'll catch up though.

4. May 2, 2010 #4 of 62
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    Half way though I deleted it. I think I did the same with Harper's Island. Not my cup-of-tea I guess.

5. May 2, 2010 #5 of 62
    jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    I'm not liking this trend to start 'all season' threads for shows, just because they may not be popular shows. Especially if it's the kind of mystery show that might prevent people from participating in a thread if they're not caught up, just out of fear of being spoiled.

6. May 2, 2010 #6 of 62
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    well - ya know
    - don't read until you catch up.

so, i didn't hate it.
    there's enough of a mild mystery to keep my attention.
    kindof surprised to see amy acker as a Mom in this show - seems so outof character...
    pretty large sheriff staff for such a "small town".

also i heard ABC cut the order down to 8 episodes, so i'm not sure this has much of a prayer...

7. May 3, 2010 #7 of 62
    Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    "don't read" is kind of the same thing as "prevent people from participating", wouldn't you say?

8. May 3, 2010 #8 of 62
    Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    no, i wouldn't.
    i was annoyed someone posted a thread about a new Doctor Who UK airing episode. probably mostly because I WANTED to click on it but will hold off until after I watch the US airing.

9. May 3, 2010 #9 of 62
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Did they do this before or after they saw the ratings?

I liked it, but this has the potential to get way too weird for my tastes. I think this had more of a Twin Peaks than a Harper's Island vibe. Hopefully it remains fun, and doesn't get so weird as it just gets stupid.

Is it me, or did the girl who came into town to live in the boarding house look like she's about 15, yet she's supposed to be an adult. The old ladies crack me up.

10. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Before...
    ...according to tvbythenumbers.com

It was an article about how well Modern Family is doing in the ratings and how did ABC think Happy Town would do any better than Ugly Betty when even they had already cut down the episode order...

11. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Sounds like they are hedging their bets, unless they have some reality show they needed to make room for. Or maybe, if the ratings are good, they are just priming us for the fall season. The thing is, for this type of show, they really can't make us wait months in between seasons. I'm thinking if it's a hit, you'll see a few more episodes later in the summer.

12. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I knew it was slated for 8 episodes when I started the thread. Pretty short to do an episode by episode discussion.

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I thought it was somewhat entertaining.. Though it reminded me of Eastwick as well as Harper's Island.. though at least with only one episode down, I'd far prefer Eastwick be back.. (obviously never going to happen)

They even seemed vaguely similar -- woman/women in a small town with weird goings on happening. (Yeah I realize that's so general it could cover lots of things.)

14. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Just watched the last ep, and I missed why he suspected his big friend. I'm too lazy to go back and look for it. Anybody help?

15. TampaThunder

TampaThunder Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2003
    Tampa, FL
    Yeah, the flour residue/dough found on the body was the same flour residue/dough his friend used in the pizzeria. It had NYC tap water in it which they made a point of mentioning earlier in the episode.

16. Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice >>>>>>

Jul 6, 2004
    Just finished the first two eps. I like the comparison to Harper's Island in that both remind me of paperback genre fiction. Cheesy and derivative, but enjoyable if not much is required from the viewer. Ideally, they'll wrap it up in one season when they realize it doesn't have the legs to last. I wouldn't be willing to commit more to it.

17. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    We like the show at our house so far, It got real interesting last night at the end.

18. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    OK I have to say I have ZERO idea as to what the hell is going on and the editing from Georgia going wacko in the hospital through the fight in the barn physically got me dizzy :eek:

19. BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I liked the first episode (did get the Twin Peaks vibel, that's why I recorded it). I didn't care much for the 2nd episode. Don't know if I will stick with it.

20. Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York