1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Happy! on SyFy

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mr.unnatural, Dec 11, 2017.

1. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I'm surprised nobody has started a thread on this show yet so here it is. Probably one of the most off-the-wall shows to come along in a long time. Christopher Meloni (formerly of Law & Order, SVU) plays a former cop turned drunk and hitman who suddenly finds himself plagued by an imaginary flying blue unicorn named Happy. Happy is voiced by Patton Oswalt (formerly of more shows than I can count). I loved Meloni's character and can't wait to see how this show develops. Happy is actually the imaginary friend of a young girl that gets abducted by a Bad Santa. Happy flies off on a mission to find help and is drawn to Nick Sax (Meloni). That's as much of the plot that I'll give away. It airs Wednesday nights on SyFy at 10PM EST. If you missed the first episode it airs again tonight at 11:05PM and tomorrow morning at 3AM.

rdrrepair likes this.
  2. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    I watched it too... Very, very odd and disturbing, but I liked it.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And believe it or not, it's adapted from a comic book.

4. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I've been looking forward to it since I saw the first commercial. I wasn't too sure about the specifics, but it looked fun. It was. I'll definitely keep watching. The fight scene and hospital "escape" was definitely pretty gruesome, lightened by the comedy of Nick and Happy interactions.

I wonder if the mobster kid actually said the password in his ramblings about his mommy, so maybe Nick did hear it and knows it subconsciously. Am I putting too much thought into this? ;)

5. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    I loved that Syfy started it with a fake "TV-WTF" rating bumper.

tim1724 and Steveknj like this.
  6. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    I had a wishlist that picked it up, read the description, but discarded it because I figured "reformed cop meets flying blue unicorn" would be some sort of children's show.

Thanks to this thread, I went back and watched it. I liked it, in a twisted sort of way of course. Twas very much not a children's show. ;)

rdrrepair likes this.
  7. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Wait, what? It's a little girl and her imaginary friend. In what universe is this not a children's show?!?

:D

8. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    I was watching episode 1 and thought "Man, this a dark show.":D

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  9. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    If you missed episode one (like I did) It's being repeated Sunday at 10pm (central) on USA.

astrohip likes this.
  10. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Loved this show. Dark and disturbing sure, but also had it's moments where I laughed out loud. I had the SP set when I read the blurb about it in shows to watch in the fall in the NYT. Seemed offbeat which is generally what I like. If nothing else, I wanted to see how they pulled this off. I'm definitely back for more.

11. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Totally

May 8, 2006
    Found it to be different and interesting. Hope is continues the interesting twists as the season progresses.

12. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    After all the hype, I somehow found Happy (the character) slightly underwhelming. He wasn't quite as over-the-top as I was expecting; OTOH, he was also a little more mature/nuanced in his thinking, which might turn out to be a good thing in the long run.

Otherwise interesting and worth continuing.

13. Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    As oppose to "Preacher" :rolleyes:

14. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    Haven't watched Preacher...

15. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    That was fake? ;)

[​IMG]

16. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Watching ep 4 now and really enjoying the show-

Christopher Meloni and Patton Oswalt have a weird but awesome chemistry together-

This show is DARK but makes me laugh-and cringe!

Steveknj likes this.
  17. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    thanks for the thread, and the reminder - i heard about happy! months ago, watched a preview, but forgot to create a wishlist - all 4 eps are airing next week, so i'm still in time to catch up! :up:

18. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I had my doubts, but it's a surprisingly entertaining show.

19. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    You are one sick puppy.

Me, too!

20. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    In S1E4
    I liked when Very Bad Santa was kicking Nick's ass and took a time out to eat Happy.
    Nick and Happy both appear rather... resilient to damage.