Happily Divorced - series thread

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by betts4, Jun 23, 2011.

1. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...

Advertisements

I recorded last nights episode - wanting to at least check it out and missing the pilot (which didn't matter anyway because the premise was plastered all over the place.) I watched it today at lunch. I really want that twenty minutes back. I didn't even finish it.

I never liked Fran in The Nanny but was going to give this show one try to see if there was a change. Nope. Awful, boring, predictable and just bleh.

2. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I started this as a series thread, but since I won't be watching anymore, it may be more like a one time post. I just had to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

3. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    Thanks for checking it out for me. Can't stand the woman's nasal, whiney voice. Now I won't have to waste any time confirming my expectations. ;)

4. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I didn't think it was 100% terrible, but it certainly wasn't great. I can't stand her voice, either, but since it is based on her own life (loosely, I'm guessing, but I do know her husband came out during their marriage) I wanted to check it out. If I needed mindless drivel to watch, I'd probably keep watching, but we have too much on our plate already.

5. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA

Advertisements

I haven't watched the two episodes I have recorded. I managed to enjoy Retired at 35. Is this worse?

6. The Spud

The Spud Rather be cruising TCF Club

Aug 27, 2002
    Kent, WA
    It's certainly no worse than Retired at 35 (which I stopped watching after a couple of episodes), so you might like it.

7. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I like Fran, so I will continue watching. I've always liked her for a myriad of reasons.

The show? It's not great...it doesn't even have one iota of a percentage of being great, or even all that good. But I enjoy her kitschy comedy enough to watch pretty much anything she is in.

8. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I think I read that he actually came out after their divorce.

As for the show, I enjoyed the second episode more than the first. I think the fact that TV Land does 10 episode seasons will help a show like this. By the time, I'm sick of the same jokes over and over the season will be finished.

9. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    It will probably play for all 10 episodes but not get renewed like Retired at 35. The saving grace in Hot in Cleveland is Betty White and the premise of the LA women in Ohio.

10. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    I thought it was okay. I think the premise is kool, and Fran and her ex's story is quite interesting. It puts a survivable spin on a usually devastating situation. The show is amusing, but not brilliant, despite all the money spent to advertise it on virtually everything TiVo and all the appearances they are still making to push the show.

I record an extra 1/2 hour to "Cleveland" and then play it to fall asleep by. I think I got several nights out of both shows before actually watching the Drescher show.

11. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I deleted the SP. We just have too much stuff to watch as it is... so for me to add a new show, I need to be more blown away by it.

12. lambertman

lambertman I am not Bertman

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    R@35 actually was renewed, to a nation's abject horror.

13. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Really? Yikes, just found it on Futoncritic. Wow, I thought it was canceled. 2012.

14. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    These shows probably don't cost much. These actors aren't making Ted Danson money.

15. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I'm going to get this confession out of the way right now, upfront. I'm starting to like this show. :eek:

I never saw "The Nanny", nor have any familiarity with Fran Drescher besides knowing who she is. The first episode or two were pretty stupid, and I'm not sure why I kept watching. Actually, I do. It follows Hot in Cleveland, which I love.

[Aside: I guess this is proof that programming trick really works. I would *never* watch a show like HD did it not follow HiC. But it does. And I do. And it worked. :rolleyes:]

HD is a good example of a show that requires a few eps. Now that I know the characters, they're kinda funny. It just took a few eps for the writers to get a handle on them. Fran D is ok, but the show is really supported by whoever plays her ex, and her parents. Also, I'm not sure what the deal is with their friend Judi (she plays an odd character), but she is a HECK of a singer.

Fran has this weird habit where she kinda looks at the camera when she delivers some of her lines. Maybe she's always had that?

Cute show. Won't cry if it gets whacked, but it's entertaining while it's around.

16. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    :up::up::up: I agree with you wholeheartedly. I like to be entertained, and even mindless entertainment.

The cable stations do a good job of entertaining. I like that.

17. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I'm still watching. Yeah, it's kinda lame but I love Fran. I also love Rita Moreno. The guy who plays Fran's father is also good with Rita - they make great parents for Fran's character. I like the ex also. He and Fran play off of each other well.

Sitcoms are seldom cerebral or even classy. I can watch a lowbrow sitcom and still get laughs. I also love Big Bang Theory. You don't really find many great sitcoms anymore, so Happily Divorced falls in the middle for me - I like the cast and it's kind of funny and cute.