Hannibal, are you still watching it? [spoilers]

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by smbaker, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Jun 3, 2013 #1 of 81
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003

Advertisements

During the first three episodes, this became one of my favorite shows. I loved the actors. I loved the characters. It felt intellectual and emotional.

However, lately it's just been in a death spiral for me. It maintains the level of creepiness that it had in the beginning, yet it's becoming predictable, unrealistic, and just plain boring at times.

Take the most recent episode for example. Will Graham suffering from lost time. Hannibal and some other doctor conspire to not inform him of this. Immediately, you know that Hannibal is going to kill the other doctor and frame the girl. It's just a given.

Before that, we had human totem pole killer, with some convoluted motivation that really didn't make any sense.

Before that, the musician killer. Another episode where it was obvious that Hannibal was just going to kill the killer. Not really any drama. It was all revealed to us in slow obvious detail.

The entire Abigail story arc has been flat ever since she was revealed to be a killer. Hannibal knows she is a killer. She knows Hannibal is the guy who made the phone call. Graham knows that Hannibal helped her conceal the evidence of the man she killed.

It feels to me like a combination of subpar 'monster of the week' episodes mixed with these boring slow drawn out predictable multi-episode story arcs.

Other people, are you still enjoying this series?

2. Jun 3, 2013 #2 of 81
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    still watching and enjoying.

3. Jun 3, 2013 #3 of 81
    sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Still watching, but I have one episode sitting there to watch. I keep having stuff I want to watch more. :D

4. Jun 3, 2013 #4 of 81
    NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i don't know where it will rank on my "list" of favorites this year, but i still find the show engaging, and look forward to new episodes. that's despite the flaws you pointed out (and i agree with).

5. Jun 3, 2013 #5 of 81
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI

Advertisements

I don't object to the show being somewhat predictable within the confines of a single episode. I certainly wouldn't have predicted a couple of weeks ago, however, that he would have Anti-NMDA Encephalitis or even any brain issue at all. Nor do I find it easy to precisely predict how things will unfold, even if the broad strokes within an episode are obvious.

Even forgetting whether things are predictable, I am really enjoying the arc of the show. The slow descent by Will aided by the intentional tightening of the screws by Hannibal.

Perhaps most important to me of all is the fact that the show is absolutely gorgeous to look at; for that reason alone it will take a lot for me to not like the show anymore.

6. Jun 3, 2013 #6 of 81
    billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    My biggest problem with the last episode was the tv-coincidence of the girl's psychological issues mirroring Will's current issues. Too tidy.

Otherwise I love the atmosphere and acting and direction and all that. Great to watch.

7. Jun 3, 2013 #7 of 81
    TAsunder

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I'm not actually sure what you mean about the mirroring here. Will did not have Cotard's syndrome.

There have been episodes where the killer's mental condition has mirrored Will's but I didn't see it this episode.

8. Jun 5, 2013 #8 of 81
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Still watching.. very gory.. like I said before, it's amazing to me that the show about Norman Bates is the least creepy of the 3 new shows this season.

9. Jun 7, 2013 #9 of 81
    Lee 2.0

Lee 2.0 Hoopy frood

Jul 10, 2012
    Lazlo's...
    Watching it. Loving it. Thrilled it got renewed.

10. tiellv

tiellv Pluviophile

Nov 11, 2002
    Oregon
    I'm still watching. I like Jack and Hannibal but I'm so tired of Will and his personal demons.

11. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    I've got them all recorded and just need to find the time to watch them.

12. latrobe7

latrobe7 What, me worry?

May 1, 2005
    Orange...
    Love this show.

13. dagojr

dagojr June

Jan 9, 2004
    Me too, hope it gets renewed.

14. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    It's already been renewed.

15. TAsunder

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Though, based on what's happened so far, my wife and I both wonder what they are going to do in the second season because the screws are already really tight with one episode left this season.

16. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I wonder too. It doesn't seem like Will Graham and Hannibal can both continue to freely exist for much longer. Will has to be on the verge of revealing Hannibal as a killer.

Maybe Will's neurological or psychological issues will delete a portion of his recent memory.

17. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Without giving away tons of spoilers (except those that have aired in the TV show), can someone explain if there was ANY overlap with the movie version of the original book?

I know this is based on one specific book, I'm just wondering if the "Graham and Hannibal work together and Hannibal is his psychologist" thing is the main thrust of the movie too... or if this is a lot different.

18. Craigbob

Craigbob Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Land of...
    There are references/call backs to things in Red Dragon, but in reality this series is concerned with events that take place before that book/Movies.

IMO it's a lot different since in the books Graham and Lecter only met once or twice. The supposition that they worked together and Lecter was his shrink is not in the books at all.

So the movies have very little in common with the series save for some characters.

19. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Excellent finale! I think this has become one of my favorite shows.

20. Lee 2.0

Lee 2.0 Hoopy frood

Jul 10, 2012
    Lazlo's...
    Aside from just loving the show, the cinematography is exquisite. Every time it ends I want more. Bummed it's over for the season but very much looking forward to next season.