Hannibal "Aperitif" (OAD 4/4/2013, Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Flop, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Apr 4, 2013 #1 of 35
    Flop

Flop Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Oklahoma

Advertisements

SP deleted about 3/4 through. I found it completely unwatchable. The whole "empathy" guy (sorry, forgot his name and can't be bothered to go look it up) reliving the events with the scenes shifting into and out of his imagination and reality multiple times gave me a headache. Could they hire a worse actor for Hannibal? I couldn't understand most of what mumble mouth said. I didn't have high hopes going in, and this failed to even meet my extremely low expectations for a NBC scripted program.

2. Apr 5, 2013 #2 of 35
    DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Really? I thought it was fantastic. Lecter *was* hard to understand, but otherwise it was really great.

3. Apr 5, 2013 #3 of 35
    markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I enjoyed the first episode and am looking forward to more!

4. Apr 5, 2013 #4 of 35
    Roommate

Roommate New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    I agree. I had to turn on subtitles as soon as Hannibal showed up, but other than that I absolutely loved it. I went in expecting to be disappointed, as I was with The Following, but it well exceeded my expectations. I hope it sticks around.

5. Apr 5, 2013 #5 of 35
    jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ

Advertisements

When the camera first showed the face of Lecter, did anyone think he looked like Hitler's twin brother minus the moustache?
    As far as the show, I didn't like it enough to give it a season pass.

6. Apr 5, 2013 #6 of 35
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I was amazed at how quickly Hugh Dancy made Will Graham his own. William Peterson was so freaking brilliant in that role, I thought nobody else could ever be anything but a cheap imitation, but within minutes I was totally convinced.

(It helps that this Will Graham is quite a different character...)

Mads Mikkelsen still hasn't pushed Anthony Hopkins out of my mind, but it's an interesting take.

7. Apr 5, 2013 #7 of 35
    DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Yeah, I had to turn on subtitles too. The combination of dense accent + esoteric phrasing made it impossible to decipher without subtitles.

8. Apr 5, 2013 #8 of 35
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm willing to give Bryan Fuller a chance and see where this goes but I feel a little out of the loop since I've never seen any of the "Lector" movies.
    (Although Manhunter is on my watch list.)

But I can't help feeling that the NBC executives keep telling Fuller, "You see, what Hannibal needs is a cult of Lector followers."

9. Apr 5, 2013 #9 of 35
    Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    I loved Manhunter very very very very very much (way more than Silence of the Lambs) and I hated this Jack Crawford (not smart enough), hated this Will Graham (too squirrely), and hated this Hannibal Lector (too flat a personality).

10. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    But did you like the SHOW??? lol. I jest.

I didn't watch but from what I've read it seems to be getting a lot of praise, which is good. I was starting to actually feel bad for NBC lately with their show launches just tanking. Everyone needs a victory, lol. I was wondering if every single comment was gonna be a rip, but I read things like "a broadcast show that feels like it belongs on cable", which is a big change for something on NBC.

Hopefully it sticks around for those who watch.

11. super dave

super dave Friend Of The Court

Oct 1, 2002
    Maple Shade, NJ
    I didn't care for it at all. I didn't like the phase in and out of reality going over the murders and quite frankly it didn't hold my attention.

12. 2004raptor

2004raptor time to emancipate

Dec 30, 2005
    GA
    I only watched the first 10 minutes or so but that was because I was tired. I did not like the way the guy did the reinactment or whatever it was. I really wasn't feeling it so far. Maybe I'll try and rewatch it and give it another shot.

13. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    the empathy flashback sequences have gotta be shortened, have better continuity, and used sparingly - 5 minutes of that plus another 5 of hannibal eating his prey at dinner every week will get old really fast.

i like laurence fishburne as crawford, hugh dancy has the potential to make a great graham, and mads mikkelsen is arrogant and creepy enough for hannibal. if they clean up the production, move the plot along, and cut out the repetition, it has hope.

i try not to judge too much from the pilot, or even the first 6 episodes. i can remember when i was telling everyone i knew about the sopranos, people looked at me and said "james gando-who?".

14. RichardHead

RichardHead Musical Klutz

Nov 16, 2003
    Hollywood,...
    I'll give just about anything a few episodes to get going but this one did nothing for me. No SP or more episodes for me!

15. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Big fan of the Hannibal franchise and really wanted to like this show, but found it tedious. I'll give it another episode or two, but I think both the casting and the directing leave much to be desired. The "empathy scenes" are a little tooooo artistic for my taste.

16. Cearbhaill

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    If it was all there was available I might watch it.
    But these days adding a new show to our limited TV time demands that the show be extraordinarily good. What with Netflix, Amazon, DVD's, On Demand, and other 'unnamed sources' the pool from which to choose is larger than ever so a "just OK" show just doesn't cut it any longer.

17. jamesl

jamesl Active Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Silence of the Lambs = one of the dumbest, most boring "thriller" movie ever
    (and I do mean the first one)
    there was absolutely nothing scary, interesting or suspenseful about the character Hannibal

have no interest in the tv show at all

the only redeeming thing about the movie was that it gave SouthPark something to use
    http://youtu.be/jSa9mkAAWsg

18. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I saw The Silence of the Lambs a million years ago, and all I remember is the mask--like he was going to take a bite out of anyone walking by. If you're going to eat human flesh, at least cook it first.

So I guess I'm missing stuff. No idea who the squirelly guy is and I'm having trouble deciding if a scene is really happening or not. Was the "sausage" human? Also don't know if Hannibal is the murderer in this case, or just a murderer in general. Or maybe we aren't supposed to know that yet.

I thought the other guy was a serial killer too, and was sure he was going to kill that dog. I liked how he slept all surrounded by dogs. :up:

I guess I'll give it another week.

19. Cearbhaill

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Red Dragon, the book this all started with, was a prequel to Silence of the Lambs (Hannibal was the third book). So if SotL is all you've seen there is backstory you are missing.
    That backstory is roughly the time frame of this show.
    I'd suggest either reading Red Dragon or watching Manhunter (film version of Red Dragon) if you want to know what is going on because it seems to me this show is going to take it's time telling everything.

20. dwells

dwells Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Birmingham, Al
    Same here. I was wondering about the sausage as well- anyone have thoughts?