Handshake issue? I need detective help...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dig_duggler, Apr 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Hi there. Former long time Tivo user and forum member. My dad still loves his, and his old Tivo HD finally died. I upgraded him to a Bolt, and a TCL Series 6 65". He was happy ... for a few days. Randomly, sometimes once a day, sometimes over a dozen in a day, he gets the following image on his screen. Toggling the inputs fixes it, so does power cycling the tv. My suspicion at first was this was a handshake issue, however it seems to be getting worse every day. He also has an Apple TV hooked up, which hasn't done this, but then again he doesn't watch it nearly as much. I'm trying to troubleshoot this remotely, and since there is no way to force it to happen.....any wiser people have ideas? I would hope it's the Tivo (much easier to swap than a 65" tv), but I realize it could be both. Any ideas to help narrow this down?

Thanks! IMG_3257.jpeg

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Could it be as simple as a faulty HDMI cable? I might try another one (as you state that the Apple TV device is working fine, I might try that one with the TiVo box), and see what happens. Note: I'd make sure that whatever HDMI cable you try meets the HDMI cable specs called for by both the TV and the TiVo box.

3. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Thanks! We did try that, and started with the one that came in the Tivo Bolt Box.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Same pattern on every channel? I can't remember seeing that pattern on any TiVo menu.

Power off the TiVo. Apply power. When does the screen display that pattern? These are my guesses.

5. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    It’s from he TiVo itself. We actually swapped the tv and it’s still showing the behavior. And we tried rep different bolts. But only with the most modern HDMI cable (2.0 and HDCP 2.2). I have an older cable and it’s fine. I even bought another new cable, same thing. I’m out of ideas.

6. ask

ask Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Balto MD
    I had randomly occurring handshake issues between my TCL series 6 and my Bolt at startup until I reset the Bolt's video resolution to "Auto." I didn't experience any effect like yours, but resetting video resolution (if you haven't tried that already) might make a difference.