Handling conversion to Xfinity

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mountainhouse, Jun 14, 2010.

1. mountainhouse

mountainhouse New Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Northern...

Advertisements

Tonight I'm getting converted to Xfinity, by Comcast. So I will be getting a completely new channel lineup. Going from 30 some odd HD channels to over 100. How do I handle this? Is Tivo usually ready to download the revised lineup? Guess I need to start all over with my season passes. :confused:

2. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
    With most cable operators, changes in channels show upon the Tivo when the cable company reports them to Tribune. Sometimes this happens immediately, sometimes early, and sometime late (days and on rare occasions weeks). Now since they are rebranding your service, I don't know if that is how it will go for you. If they decide to call it something else at Tribune, you will need to rerun the guided setup. I would say the easiest way to check is to use zap2it.com (Tribune's website) and type in your zip code. Look at the list of providers and see if a new one with the xfinity name is there. If there isn't, then either they haven't reported it or the Tivo will automatically update itself. You can look through these lineups to see which one has your new line up, etc. If there is anything that you find very important to have recorded in and around the time of the switchover, I would set manual recordings for them if I were you. That way you guarantee you get the program. Good luck.

3. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    You might need to re-run guided setup, and see if there is a different cable lineup that you can set your Tivo to tune. You shouldn't have to start over with your season passes (unless you want to change them from Lo-Def to Hi-Def), as Comcast/Xfinity probably won't change the channel designations, and that is what the Tivo uses to determine the channels.

4. mountainhouse

mountainhouse New Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Northern...
    Thank you both for the replies. Sounds like we'll be good as far as the guide info then. Will run set up in the morning, and will report results here. Again, thanks!

5. mountainhouse

mountainhouse New Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Northern...

Advertisements

Comcast has this commercial where a house magically changes to their new Xfinity service while the owners sleep. Yeah, right. :p

They sent me a flier saying it would be available to me on the 15th. Seeing nothing this morning, I called tech support, and they knew nothing about it. They asked me to read the flier to them. After realizing I had the 700s inactive in the channel menu, I noticed that about half the new HD channels 750-799 are active, but 700-749 are still music channels. The new HBO/Starz stuff in 800s is active. All old SD/HD channels are still working. Guess we'll see what tonight brings.

Unfortunately, there is no guide available on the Tivo for the new channels. I hope they catch up soon.

6. socrplyr

socrplyr Active Member

Jul 19, 2006
  7. ghuido

ghuido New Member

May 8, 2007
    When this happened to me, One TIVO got the new channel lineup. The other one did not. I had to re-execute channel lineup. If you go to channel lineup in settings there are some instructions on the bottom on how to re-execute that piece. It is almost the same as re-doing Guided Setup.

8. mountainhouse

mountainhouse New Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Northern...
    Maybe I'm jumping the gun here. Well, actually, Comcast shouldn't have sent out a flier that the lineup was changing on 6/15. I just realized all these new channel names are preceded with an "!". When the actual cut takes place, I guess they'll drop these, and my guide info should get associated correctly. Thanks again for all the help.

9. Videodrome

Videodrome tivo - please wait..

Jun 20, 2008
    Usually nothing is required, but this is Comcast , so would run a channel linup just to make sure.

10. chadwpalm

chadwpalm New Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I called Comcast this morning because some of my HD channels were blank and I didn't know they had made the channel lineup switch. I guess if we had set top boxes we would have known the channels had changed, but since we are relying on the Tivo channel guide (Tribune's channel guide) we are out of luck.

I asked if they had an updated channel guide online for me to look at, but he said they haven't rolled it out yet because the change is still in process. He also said things should be updated in the next week or so.

As it's been already said, we just need to wait for Comcast to update Tribune with the changes and our channel guides should hopefully update soon. I have just been manually recording the shows on the moved HD channels in SD, but now that I at least know what the new channels are I can start manually recording them again in HD until the channel guide is fixed.

I'm in the Stockton, CA area, so our guides may be different, but for me about 12 channels moved from the 900 block to the 700 block and about 30 new HD channels have need added to the 700 block as well. I just manually punched in channel numbers in the 700's and found many of them. I couldn't even tell you which SD channels have changed. But since the Comcast/Xfinity website also uses Tribune for their online channel guide, I'm sure they have a vested interest in updating Tribune sooner than later.

I guess now it's just a matter of patience.

11. TheMightyEd

TheMightyEd New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    My guide/lineup just changed here in Stockton, but the channels didn't. I submitted a ticket to Zap2It but I don't know when they'll look into it. :(

12. Susurrus

Susurrus New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    CA, USA
    Yeah this is BS! The TiVo lineup has changed but Comcast hasn't changed their lineup. WTF?!?

Comcast can go DIAF...

13. nirisahn

nirisahn Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    For those of you not showing guide information, rerun guided setup. We went thru this in the Denver area. There's a huge long thread about it. See if there is a 'digital rebuild' lineup available in your zip code. That should have the correct lineup and guide information.

14. DAPitzrick

DAPitzrick New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    We're in the process of converting here. (Our cable cards go back to the Time-Warner days here, so I don't know if that's adding to our "fun".) We're getting a lot of pixelation, freezing (started with the high def channels, now it's moving throughout the lineup). The TiVo is freezing up and restarting itself. Lately, it can't even get to live TV. The people in Cust. Service don't have a clue. Someone's coming out tomorrow, but would bet I'll have to go through at least 3 service calls with increasingly higher tech staff (been there, done that when we signed up). Anyone else having something like this?

15. ghuido

ghuido New Member

May 8, 2007
    If you are on Comcast, check if your cable strength is to hot (100%) get some signal atteaunators (PRobably killed the spelling)

16. Doit2it

Doit2it Member

Jan 3, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    If you still have a bad lineup from Comcast (Xfinity), I emailed Tivo support and found a solution.

Digital Rebuild