handbrake tivo profile

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by tomm1079, Jun 2, 2011.

1. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    I been looking around for a handbrake profile for tivo. I only found the command line ones here: http://code.google.com/p/streambaby/wiki/video_compatibility

Anyone have ideas what we should use if we are using the GUI interface?

2. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    x264, AVC level 4.1 with 4 ref frames. Limit to 720x480 for SD and dvd sources. AC3 5.1 DD audio. Usually passthrough AC3 works fine from DVD source.

If I forgot something, sure someone else will chime in.

3. westside_guy

westside_guy Annoyingly ephemeral

Mar 13, 2005
    The soggy...
    Depends on the Tivo. For my TivoHD, I started with the high profile preset, then bumped the Constant Quality RF to 19 (was 20), motion estimation to UMH, Subpixel ME to 9 (was 7), Motion Estimation Range to 32 (was 16). I leave the reference frames and b-frames at 3 - anything above that and I'll start to see occasional AV sync issues; plus the new-ish b-adapt tuning in x264 means large b-frame numbers are no longer useful (according to the x.264 dev).

Basically when I'm done, the advanced x264 option string is:

b-adapt=2:rc-lookahead=50:me=umh:subq=9:merange=32:analyse=all

On a 3.06GHz i3 iMac (with 4GB RAM) these settings encode roughly in real time - a 2 hour movie takes 2 hours. On an older Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro, these same settings take about 6 hours for that same movie. :D

Those command line arguments on the streambaby pages are several years old, and a lot of what they did is apparently unnecessary due to advances in how x264 works by default. Additionally, those recipes were constant bitrate while constant quality is a better choice according to most people.

Oh and set detelecine to default, decomb to default, and anamorphic to "strict" - they used to say "loose" was better, but the handbrake guys seem to have done an about-face. Also, for animated stuff I set the deblocking to 1:1, otherwise I leave it at 0:0.

I usually save two audio tracks - one is the pass-through AC3 track (unchanged obviously), the other is a down-mixed stereo track at 160kbps.

4. Joe Siegler

Joe Siegler Member

May 10, 2000
    Garland, TX
    This post is almost four years old now. Anyone have any more recent experience with Roamio boxes?

Tkx.

5. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Roamio supports up to 1080p video and 640kbps AC-3 audio but not much else has changed.