Had Tivo for 2 years, canceled, now I want to buy but price is 3 times more....

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TheChosenOne-, Oct 26, 2015.

1. TheChosenOne-

TheChosenOne- New Member

Jan 16, 2014

Advertisements

So I had a subscription to Tivo Roamio for 2 years then I canceled 2 months ago. I was offered to buy lifetime subscription for $199 but I thought I'd never use my Tivo ever again so I declined. Now I change my mind but the price tpo buy lifetime subscription is $599. I asked customer support if they can change it back to $199 but they said no and the person on the phone said they can't change it manually cause it is done automatically by the computer/system. I think that's bull **** and the person is lying because days before canceling, I went to the Tivo page online where it gave me the option of purchasing the Tivo and it said $599. 2 months ago when I told them I want to cancel, they made the $199 offer to buy lifetime subscription. I told them it would make sense to let me get lifetime subscription for $199 than get no money at all and she seemed very strict about this. Is there nothing I can do about this? I refuse to pay the full price since I canceled 2 months ago which isn't a long time.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Actually it use to be $499. What happened is that along with the release of the new Bolt they completely changed their plan structure. Now when you buy a TiVo it includes a year of service and then automatically goes into the yearly plan mode at $150/year. They change the name of lifetime to be "all in" and bumped it price to $599.

With those changes they might have changed what the CSRs are able to do on their end.

Based on the new pricing you'd actually be better off just getting a Bolt. For $299 you can get one that includes a year of service and it'll be way better, performance and feature wise, then your Premiere.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    no need to cross post.

Yep- with the bolt release they changed it all. The $199 was a special deal, unfortunately you did not realize how special it was. Sorry.

You may try csr roulette, but I'm not entirely optimistic you'll get the old offer reinstated.

4. TheChosenOne-

TheChosenOne- New Member

Jan 16, 2014
    I talked to someone on the phone they said they can't and I just tried emailing them just to explore other options of trying to get that price again. There's nothing they can do even if they wanted to or they don't want to give me that price because they don't feel like it?

5. jonw747

jonw747 Active Member

Aug 2, 2015

Advertisements

Re-activate it again for a month, then cancel again, and see if they offer you lifetime? lol

6. Jrr6415sun

Jrr6415sun Member

Mar 31, 2006
    You were offered a limited time sale, you didn't take the offer, the sale expired. You sound a little spoiled acting like they should change their whole business just for you.

7. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    If it was a Roamio ota you can get one on Amazon now for $299 with lifetime. If it wasn't, then still buy the OTA from Amazon and then take the Cablecard bracket out of your Roamio and put it in the ota and now you have a full Roamio basic with lifetime for $299. Now your old one can be used for spare parts.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Ironically, one of my older brothers used to rib me about being my mom's "favorite child" (I wasn't, but facts aren't a requirement for quality sibling taunts), and started mockingly referring to me as "The Chosen One."

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Excellent advice from HarperVision.

But don't blame HarperVision, or TiVo, if a software update, at some point in the future, disables the CableCARD capability in a "sold as OTA-only" Roamio OTA. It may never happen. Or it may. The choice is up to you, very much like the earlier choice to pass on the Lifetime service discount.

edit: p.s. The Lifetime service price recently jumped $100, from $500, though owners of multiple TiVo devices saw the removal of the multi-service discount, bumping the price $200. So it's a 20% bump for new customers, and 50% for existing customers.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  10. loribigby

loribigby New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Question on a similar question...

I gave my mother one of my Romeos because I was upgrading. She has two tivos and one of them stopped working when her city changed to digital. The tivo was old and didn't have a cable card. So I was hoping to get her back up and running. She was on the $100+ or something a year plan. When she called tivo and tried to transfer the service to the Romeo they told her that she had to turn off her service first. When they finally got it all back on they told her she couldn't keep the previous plan and it was now changed to $14.95 per month for the new tivo and she still pays the same yearly plan for the other.

I felt like this was unfair since Tivo told her they had to turn off the service first. Whenever I upgrade, I've been able to keep my same plan. I wasn't there unfortunately when all this happened (live in a different city) and I would have hopefully handled it differently. But my question is this...do I have any options at all about getting her her plan back?

11. jim1971

jim1971 Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Look into used 4 tuner lifetime premieres on eBay. I bought 2. One is for general use. The other is either a mini server or a spare; right now it's a spare. New with Tivo and unsure about how many tuners I will need.

Sometimes there's several and sometimes few or none are listed. Just keep looking. I paid avg $359 each. Both had been upgraded with 2TB drives. I think it was a good deal. Lots of minis available used but NOT all are lifetime minis. Tivo changed all lifetime equipment over with no hassle. Minis can sometimes be odd birds to configure. Be lucky or be persistent with them.

12. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Sometimes time limited promotions become the new regular price. Sometimes they are a time limited good deal. Other posters gave you options. Sounds like begging for the old deal isn't going to work.

Bolt for a year might be your best option.

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This was in response to the OP, rather than the latest sidebar.

14. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Sounds like your mom was using S2's. You could find another used S2 with lifetime service on ebay for around $100 or less. If she's getting guide data over the phone line, the Romeo doesn't do that and needs a constant internet connection.

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It *does* seem unfair, mostly because it *is* unfair if the details are accurate.

Have you tried calling TiVo on her behalf? They should have records of when your mom called-in to cancel the service and when she called the second time to ~finalize the service transfer.~ With a VERY short delay between those 2 dates, the truth of her side of the story should be unassailable by anybody on the other side of the phone at TiVo.

And if you have to, I expect there may be people around here who can provide recommendations on escalating the issue further.

16. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Complain, ask nicely, and tivo might help out the posters Mom.

Tivo no longer offers multi service discounts. Her existing discounted plan doesn't carry forward to a replacement unit. The reason she had to cancel the old DVR service was to ensure her gifted unit was correctly charged.

Buying a used unit, with lifetime service, is a good option.

https://support.tivo.com/SupportPor.../Features_Use/Multi-Service-Discount-Policies

edit to add the change was as of September 30. The posters previous experience transferring discounted service to a replacement unit is irrelevant.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't believe the Multi-Service Discount changes were related to the issue. The issue seems to be transfer of service, which the following page seems to cover:
    ... and which seems considerably harsher than I had expected, given the number of posts I've seen recently from people saying they've been able to get even cheaper plans transferred.

18. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    Read your link and the link I offered.

The person isn't eligible to transfer service and isn't eligible for a MSD. Tivo is charging her the correct charge.

edited to add I don't know if the rules to transfer service were changed at the same time the MSD was dropped. I don't know if tivo CSR are still able to offer deals. It couldn't hurt to ask. It's always good to know if you're demanding something you're entitled to, as posters in this mistakenly thought, or if you're asking for an exception.

I'm pretty sure the $100 annual fee the posters Mom was paying was a MSD fee.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    MSD was never part of the discussion; she was merely trying to transfer service plans from TiVo A to TiVo B, and the details appear to be that TiVo tacitly approved of the transfer but instructed her that canceling service on TiVo A was a necessary prerequisite of moving forward.

TiVo's policies are TiVo's policies, and the customer would not appear to be eligible for a service transfer based on the document I linked above. However, what I find "unfair" is the part of the story where TiVo told the customer that it would be necessary to cancel service on TiVo A to transfer that service plan to TiVo B. At a minimum, the customer should be able to retreat to their original service plan on TiVo A.

20. loribigby

loribigby New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Thanks so much for your help. I apologize that I was a bit fuzzy on the details. Mom is not really techy and I wasn't there. But I like the idea about buying a lifetime service Tivo. That would definitely fix the problem. I wish I could get it cheaper.... but oh well. Thanks again.