Hack folder

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by WhyMe, Jan 21, 2006.

1. WhyMe

WhyMe New Member

Jul 11, 2005

Advertisements

My var/hack folder keeps disappearing, can I just make a copy of it and filezilla it back over. I know a stupid question from somebody that shouldnt have hack but we all have to learn somehow. Or should I just move it into a different folder and try to edit author. Is that the only file I need to edit? Thanks for your consideration...

2. slydog75

slydog75 Not all that sly

Jul 8, 2004
    Warminster, PA
    get it back to were it should be, zip a copy of it up, then ftp it onto your hard drive. next time it gets wiped, just ftp it back onto your tivo and unzip it. You could also use the newest enhancement version from rbautch, which takes most of your hacks out of var. Although it shouldn't be getting wiped on a regular basis. I zippered 2 units 3 months ago and only one has wiped var so far one time. Did you set cron up to clear out your logs automatically?

3. beejaycee

beejaycee New Member

Dec 9, 2003
    N'Awlins
    Sort of on topic but sort of hijacking this thread:
    Can the /hack directory be put in the root directory with a simlink at /var/hack pointing to /hack? If possible, this would keep /var/hack from disappearing when /var is rebuilt. I ask this because I think I'm long overdue for one of those mystery rebuilds!

Bryan

4. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    this is sort of what the new enhance script does.
    The only thing actually stored in /var anymore on an enhanced/zippered tivo is tivowebplus.
    The rest of it is symlinks that get recreated if it's detected that /var has been wiped when tivo reboots.
    So all you would really have to do to is re-install twp.
    Edited to add...
    My /var has been wiped exactly ONCE in a year on only one of my 2 Dtivos.

5. beejaycee

beejaycee New Member

Dec 9, 2003
    N'Awlins

Advertisements

Thanks for the info Gunny. I'm one of those old foggies who upgraded when sleeper's iso was hot stuff. Since then I have fiddle-farted around with stuff as it came along. I stopped right about when you guys came up with your zipper (I used 'the unguide'). I did use one of rbautch's early enhancement scripts but opted out of having it install TWP as I already had it in /usr/tivoweb (I moved it there after it 'disappeared' one too many times). So, I'm way behind the times now.

My /var has been wiped exactly... oodles. But I blame myself for each of them. The good thing about having 2 tivos is I don't get shot every time I screw up while playing with one.

6. WhyMe

WhyMe New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    My hack folder has disappeared twice in thirty days, I do have my phone line pluged in for caller id and PPV. Not sure if that is what is causing it. So do I need to pull the drive again to load the latest scripts. or can I just ftp the enhancement folder over and do a uninstall and re-tweak? I did install cron... Thanks Michael

7. slydog75

slydog75 Not all that sly

Jul 8, 2004
    Warminster, PA
    You can ftp the enhancement install over to your tivo.. you do not want to pull your drive again.

8. WhyMe

WhyMe New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Just ftp the tools disk to the hacks folder and run tweak from there? Thanks Michael

9. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    I have now experienced two /var wipes in six months. Not alot, but it is a pain.

10. WhyMe

WhyMe New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Ok what did I do wrong, got the newer version of tweak.zip, use winrar to unzip, ftp the tweak.sh to the hacks folder after deleting the tweak that was in there. telnet uninstall and then run tweak.sh.. here is what I get.. Please help

Den-bash# cd /hacks
    Den-bash# tweak-uninstall.sh
    Removing directories and files...
    Deleting Tivowebplus Installation...
    Deleting cron Installation...
    Deleting CallerID Installation...
    Restoring original fakecall...
    Restoring original usb drivers...
    Restoring original profile...
    Restoring original rc.sysinit.author file
    Restoring original splash screen...
    Done!
    Den-bash# sh tweak.sh
    Superseded version of rbautch-files.tgz found in /hacks/
    Deleting /hacks/rbautch-files.tgz...

Running rbautch Hacked Tivo Enhancements...
    tar: /enhancements/rbautch_files.tgz: No such file or directory
    mv: /enhancements/tweak_uninstall.sh: No such file or directory
    Checking your telnet settings. Do you want to continue? [y/n]: y

Do you want to run the "express" version (for advanced users)? [y/n]: n
    tweak.sh: /enhancements/start.sh: No such file or directory
    Den-bash#

11. rbautch

rbautch User

Feb 5, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    If you hacked your tivo using something other than the zipper, you can still take advantage of the enhancement script's var-symlink tool (attached). Ceate a dummy directory called /enhancements/varhacks, and move all your hacks in there. Then run the var-symlinks.sh script. The script will create all the required symlinks back to var. If var ever gets wiped again, just re-run the script.

Attached Files:

12. rbautch

rbautch User

Feb 5, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    This means you were trying to run the new script, but an old files archive was still on your Tivo. Just run it again, and it should download the new files archive on its own. I need to fix this to make it cleaner if an old archive is found.

13. WhyMe

WhyMe New Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Thanks Rbautch... that got it going..Michael