Hack dir disappears

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by thepicman, Jan 4, 2006.

1. thepicman

thepicman Motivated Sluggard

May 5, 2004
    Bottom of a...
    :confused:

On 01/02/06 my hack directory flew the coop :eek: I noticed when I did not get my DailyMail from one of my TiVos.

DSR708 not connected to phone line, running the pre-zipper scripts. Seems like everything else is intact. What might have happened?

TPM

2. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    was it in /var?
    /var gets wiped from time to time.

3. thepicman

thepicman Motivated Sluggard

May 5, 2004
    Bottom of a...
    All of the other things in the /var dir are still there?

4. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    That's because they were there originally. When the log files get too full the Tivo will wipe the /var directopry and rebuild a new one from scratch. Since your /var/hack directory wasn't part of the original file structure it disappears. Rule of thumb is to install your hacks in a partition other than /var. Set up a new /hack directory in the root directory of the active partition and then revise your rc.sysinit.author file and the PATH statement to point to the new file locations.

5. DaveSchott

DaveSchott New Member

Nov 10, 2002
    In which partition was the var wiped out?

6. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    var is in /dev/hda9

7. DaveSchott

DaveSchott New Member

Nov 10, 2002
    OK - I read somewhere that " Partition 9 is a special for a number of reasons, including the fact that it usually survives a system software update by TiVo ".

So apparently the quote is just a partly accurate statement. time to relocate the hacks! Don't the hacks have to go into both active and inactive partitions?

8. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    they can go where ever you want them just make sure the system can find them by adding the location to your path.