GXCEBOT Possible HD failure ??

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by IOTP, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Sep 3, 2007 #1 of 17
    IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    I have an older Hughes GXCEBOT DirecTV unit.. For the longest time the hard drive was making some noise.. This was an A+B upgrade spanned 2 hard drives for about 4+ years.

Today I went to use it, and it was acting wierd. So I rebooted it.

Now I get "Powerup in please wait.."

The two front LEDs are yellow both flashing as fast as can be.

Will an image for a DSR6000 Series one work for this unit?

Most likely one or both drives have failed. Anyone know where I can get an image for it? Please PM me.

It's the Hughes Model: GXCEBOT.

2. Sep 3, 2007 #2 of 17
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Do a search for "InstantCake'. An image for your unit should be available. Using an image for the DSR6000 on that unit might work. No harm in trying it. :)

3. Sep 6, 2007 #3 of 17
    poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    yes

4. Sep 6, 2007 #4 of 17
    rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    go to www.dvrupgrade.com to buy the image and enter the make and model of your TiVo for the correct copy of instantcake.

5. Sep 6, 2007 #5 of 17
    Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    While you're at it, I'd recommend going to a single hard disk for that unit. Will run quieter and cooler, no scratching head trying to figure out which drive of the pair went bad.

6. Sep 6, 2007 #6 of 17
    IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    That's what I was going to do. I managed to locate a 40GB drive in the closet. I will attempt a DSR6000 image on it today.

Someone mentioned that image will work, just it'll say Phillips vice Hughes in all the menus.

Thanks,
    Jim

7. Sep 7, 2007 #7 of 17
    Francesco

Francesco Summum Pontificem

Oct 4, 1999
    Maricopa...
    Interestingly, two of my S1 DTiVos went GSOD this week. The 40 GB GXCEBOT (second 40 Gig drive in it, it's already a few years old) managed to repair itself in about a day. My main Philips, however, appears dead. 24 hours and no change. It's a 200 Gig Seagate, about 15 months old. No symptoms before the GSOD. We had a bad electrical storm the other morning, but this one is on a UPS (and no clocks were flashing 12:00 anywhere in the house).

8. Sep 7, 2007 #8 of 17
    IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    I have seen this with Tivos. If they get started/restarted (power fluctuation) it scrambles the data on the hard drive. That is why alot of people use UPS systems on their DVR products.

Think of it, like a PC or MAC. You never power up and power down fast. When I tell my clients to reboot the pc, it's power off, count to 30, then power up.

The GXCEBOT that finally died, was upgraded in late 2001 or early 2002. I could tell because the 60GB hard drive was mfg'd in DEC 2001. It ran non-stop since that time. OVer the last 6 months, the drives were getting louder and louder.

Then one day, when to change the channel, and it was almost like the page down button on the guide was stuck. When I powered down the unit, and powered it up, both LEDs on the front were flashing a continuous yellow.

Lucky for me, I was replacing an old PC in the house, and used the old 120GB drive in it's place.

I have not used a 200GB+ drive in a Series I or Series II Tivo. Sure I put an additional 250GB in my HR10-250 as a Drive-B, but at the time, 500GB drives were not readily available in 2004 when I put in the HR10-250. Now, single drives are the preferred method of upgrading.

Even in my new HR20, I replaced the factory 320 with a 500GB internal. Works like a top.

One last thought, I have seen "bad guide (corrupted in the stream) data downloads" trigger reboots on the DVRs too.

9. Sep 8, 2007 #9 of 17
    vancod

vancod New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    Please post your results - I'm having issues as well.

I'm curious how many GXEBOT* users are seeing issues following upgrade to 3.5c - if you just got the upgrade you'd be the 3rd I've seen in 2 days since mine went flaky (I cannot mount my drive and pdisk says it got an invalid block one - yet the TiVo is running fine (just can't get in to restore my hacks).

10. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    No problems on my DSR6000 on 3.5c.

11. bquerry

bquerry New Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Mentor, OH usa
    3.5c blew up my "dvrupgrade purchased" 160gb 6000R01. I stupidly just changed it to dial out to let my computer challeged wife do PPVs when I wasn't home. I totally forgot about the notes in the readme file. I know it got the update becuase of the pending re-start baloney I saw before I left... I wish there was a way to get the full hard drive of recorded movies back...

12. Fezmid

Fezmid New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Same here. :(

I then downloaded InstantCake 3.5c, installed that, and have had major problems with it (slow IR remote responding, green screening on reboot), so I 'm now putting 3.5b back on to see what happens. I find it hard to believe that I'm losing some other peice of hardware in the TiVo at the same time, but I suppose it's possible. I did run a full disk check (with SeaTools) and it checked out clean, so I"m really hoping 3.5b fixes my issues... :(

13. tivoupgrade

tivoupgrade Sponsor

Sep 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL...
    Fezmid,

Please see my response to your other post on this issue, here; I don't think you waited long enough for things to settle down...

14. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    It is possible the DSR6000 image will work on the GXCEBOT. BUT the DSR has 3 Original images. The DSR6000, DSR6000R and DSR6000R01. So if one works, the others may or may not....

My DSR6000 runs fine with 3.5C. :D

15. tivoupgrade

tivoupgrade Sponsor

Sep 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL...
    There is only one version of the software for all of those different model numbers; ie from a software perspective, all the Philips model numbers you listed are the same.

Although the software for the GXCEBOT will appear to work on the DSR6000, it is different, and should not be used; ESPECIALLY if you plan on making your daily call via phone line or network.

16. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Tivoupgrade:

If the Software for all 3 DSR units is the same, then why does the 6000R01 pick up the 72.5 Sat where the other 2 versions do not?

If the Software is the same, then this would point to a Hardware Difference right? And if this is the case, then it would still point to a Software difference as you would need different Software for any Hardware differences.

Now, you have gotten things back the front a little. the OP was asking if the DSR software would work on the GXCEBOT. NOT the other way around. So:

The DSR6000 software may appear to work on the GXCEBOT but should not really be used. For the reasons Tivoupgrade has already stated.

17. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    Actually, tivoupgrade baldly stated that the software should not be used. There were no reasons stated.