Guilty Pleasure: Strange Days at Blake Holsey High

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by SparkleMotion, Mar 29, 2005.

1. SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Alive at...
    I'd seen this show a time or two on NBC Saturday mornings, but I stumbled across one that caught my interest the other day on Discovery Kids and decided to SP it.

The show is aimed primarily at teens and tweens...it's about a group of science club members at a private boarding school who have discovered (among other weird things) that their science teacher's office is connected to a wormhole with several different offshoots that deposit a traveler in other times, including the '80s, the '70s...even the 1870s.

Sure, the science is sometimes shoddy and the 30 minute format makes a "pat" ending too necessary sometimes, but the overall story arc(s) have a cohesion that the creators seem to have put some real thought and planning into.

So it's my latest guilty pleasure. Anyone else watch this show? :)

[​IMG]

2. SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Alive at...
    Obviously not...so it's just me, then. :eek:

3. Jan 3, 2006 #3 of 20
    DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    OK so I've been watching this show and I really enjoy it. Must have either missed your thread the first time around or didn't start watching until after. I had a SP on NBC that got me the new ones but I ran into a bunch of episodes playing on Discovery Kids where they are playing all the old ones which I hadn't seen for the next few weeks as a marthon.

The science isn't too far out there and the characters are interesting. There is so much mystery with the school that I want to keep watching to see how things turn out. The last episode where Josie
    steals the chi-ball back from Victor and then finds the school condemned and the ball has lost its power
    really makes me eager for the "Strange Days Conclusions" movie that will be playing first-run on Discovery Kids at the end of the month. I want to know what is up with all these characters, especially the Janator and the "other" Josie.

4. Jan 3, 2006 #4 of 20
    Havana Brown

Havana Brown Ring Turner

Feb 3, 2005
    Your...
    I tried watching it and thought the kid would like it too, but neither of us could get into it.

My guilty pleaure is Degrassi. :D

5. Jan 4, 2006 #5 of 20
    b5ver

b5ver TivoPup

Jan 16, 2005
    Arlingtax, VA

"Conclusions" airs January 28th at 7pm. It's actually going to be a 90 minute piece.
    http://www.tv.com/strange-days-at-blake-holsey-high/conclusions-1/episode/450585/summary.html

It takes place sometime after "Inquiry".

...and yes, Strange Days is a guilty pleasure that my niece got me watching many moons ago. She's lost interest now, and I'm hooked. I only have 3 eps tivo'd: the pilot ep, Wormhole 2, and Inquiry.

On discovery.com there is a flash promo for "Conclusions". I still can't tell if that is actually the character Lucas. It looks like him, but not sure. Anyonelse take a gander?

6. Jan 4, 2006 #6 of 20
    DancnDude

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Interesting. I think it's him but just with longer hair. Of course that could mean he's from an alternate time or something, but my guess is just longer hair ;)

7. Jan 5, 2006 #7 of 20
    b5ver

b5ver TivoPup

Jan 16, 2005
    Arlingtax, VA

...and thicker spectacles...

8. Jan 8, 2006 #8 of 20
    b5ver

b5ver TivoPup

Jan 16, 2005
    Arlingtax, VA
    I did a manual search for the "Conclusions" program, but came up zip.

Has anyone attempted to schedule this for recording yet?

I made sure the DVR service had been recently updated, so no probs there.

9. Jan 8, 2006 #9 of 20
    landrumdh

landrumdh Trapped Far Far Away

Oct 6, 2003
    Somewhere
    I've watched it a few times and liked it, it's really ending?

I should SP it, I'd like to see how they are going to wrap the series up.

10. SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Alive at...
    Aww...that's a shame. Hope they do it justice though...it became a fairly well-done show, considering it was all done in Kitchener, Ontario.

Looking forward to the finale, anyway. :up:

11. DancnDude

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    At least they are doing a finale, and even took the time to do it as a movie so everything could be all wrapped up. Usually with shows like this, they just disappear with no resolution or it'd all be wrapped up into a single 30 minute episode.

12. Z-Todd

Z-Todd hard-core '24' fan

Jun 11, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    I've watched it off and on, but I liked The Zack Files better. Both shows had a similar theme.

I can see why Strange Days is ending. One of the stars (Canadian actor Michael Seater) is currently in a new show called "Life With Derek".

13. b5ver

b5ver TivoPup

Jan 16, 2005
    Arlingtax, VA
    What did everyone think of "Conclusions"?

14. DancnDude

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    At this point I think this thread is going to be spoilers about the series, so if you havn't watched yet, don't read any further.

I thought it was a good conclusion. They explained pretty much everything and I was satisfied by the explanations for the most part. The explanations about Josie's clone and the Janitor were pretty cool I thought.

The part I didn't like was that it seemed obvious that there are always holes in time travel stories. Couldn't they have just sent someone back through the wormhole around the time that Josie stole the chi ball, followed her, and then explained everything so she would not steal it have gotten locked into the alternate dimension? And I wasn't sure why it would be a paradox if Josie left that dimension.

But overall I liked it and am glad they finished the series off with the movie.

15. SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Alive at...
    It was mostly pretty satisfying...though it seemed to me as if they'd taken an entire season's worth of ideas and tried to tie them up in just 3 episodes. Performances were fine, everyone looked like themselves. The Avenir character was really in need of some fleshing out, but they just didn't have the time to dedicate to it. I almost wish Josie had accused him of a Darth Vader complex or something at one point.

There are enough open ends for there to be a sequel series...a "The Next Class" if you like. That would be pretty cool.

16. dani1705

dani1705 New Member

May 13, 2006
    WV...college...
    Hey everyone!! I have a huge problem!!

When the Conclusions episode/movie aired, I was out of town. Discovery Kids was not available in that area. I had my Tivo set to record it but unfortunately one of the neighbor kids watched it and DELETED it. :( :eek:

It's been 4 months and I still haven't got to watch how the show ended. :confused: And i've gone to many websites and there are no more listed airings of the show. Reading about isn't something that i want to do, it's not as good. Here comes my plea and my hope...

Does anyone still have it recorded? If you have it recorded please let me know so we can figure out how i can get a copy from you. I really would like to see how this all ended and i'm having no luck at all. Please reply to this message or email me and let me know if you have it OR if you hear that it is coming back on.

Thanks all!!!!

JUST AN UPDATE: I really still want to watch this. please!! PM me or something!! thanks again!

17. M&M

M&M New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Strange Days at Blake Holsey High was produced by Blake Holsey Productions Inc. in association with Fireworks Entertainment.

Fireworks was acquired by CanWest Global for $40 million in 1998, but functioned with independence producing its own material til 2003, when CWG cut'em off (with production and acquisition of all of its properties being shut) arguing: "continued and persistent weakness in demand for North American content in international markets". The discontinued operation of Fireworks cost CanWest US$125 million, according to its Q2 2004 financial report. The company also took a US$28.7-million non-cash writedown on the value of Fireworks' library.

Strangely enough, a press release from Fireworks and Fox Kids Europe (now Jetix) informed in 2003 that the programme had been sold in various countries. It read: "This multi-territory deal sees FKE acquire the exclusive pay-TV rights for the series in the UK, Israel, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal and Scandinavia, together with the Disney Channel who are acquiring the programme for Latin America and Australia". At the same time UK based ITV was to pick up the UK terrestrial rights.

Henrietta Hurford-Jones, Director of European Acquisitions at FKE had said: "We are very pleased to have a strong new live-action title to add to the current programming line-up on the channels. With its excellent production values and a compelling cast and storyline, Black Hole High has an appeal that works across the Fox Kids Europe brand." Mary Bredin, Director of Acquisitions and Programming, from ABC Cable Networks Group added: "Black Hole High captures the spooky mystery genre that works well on Disney channels in Australia and Latin America."

The series was even put up for pre-order in Amazon and english choicesdirect before the ordeal started.

Who knows what dark business maneuvering was behind the whole thing.
    Ian Edwards from canadian playbackmag cites: "It has become clear that sound business principles could no longer justify the Fireworks business model," said Leonard Asper, CWG's president and CEO, in a statement. "We believe that this action should contribute positively in the future to the company's improved free cash flow and further debt reduction".

An online article by Chicago based Brian Ford Sullivan from April 2004 reads: "It has become clear that the steps taken to date have not been sufficient to restore Fireworks to profitability and ensure its long-term viability", the company said in a statement to the press. CanWest will take a $149 million writedown to be reflected in its second-quarter fiscals. The company is currently looking for a buyer for Fireworks' film and television library. Investment banking firm Salem Partners of Los Angeles has been hired to broker a deal "as soon as possible".
    :(

18. M&M

M&M New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    A guy named Laurence Chen assures: "I have burned 3, one for each of the first 3 seasons of Strange Days at Blake Holsey High And, and they are all playable. I didn't actually watch all the episodes...I only looked to see that I could load the menus and then play an episode near the beginning and near the end. I
    just used a regular DVD-R for burning Conclusions..."
    Worth trying to contact to see if he can share?
    Also, this other guy named Dan offers for sale a five disc set of season 2 for $35.00 (+$5.00 for shipping= $40 all)

19. M&M

M&M New Member

Jun 10, 2006
  20. hmotwr

hmotwr New Member

May 23, 2006
    I didn't watched it at first, but then my kids were really into it and I decided I would watch it with them.
    Now I really enjoy it, I prefer them seing this than all those violent car.toons they play nowadays