Guided Setup Loop

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by GaryJFalzone, Jan 20, 2018.

1. GaryJFalzone

GaryJFalzone New Member

Jan 20, 2018

Advertisements

3 hours ago, I got back from best buy after purchasing my Tivo device. I figured I would dive into the world of Tivo and try it out.

I have a cable card from Comcast. The card is active and I get channels on it without issue (I know this because i was able to test the channels from the Tivo box and all is working well).

Here is the issue, for the past 2 hours, I have been in a living hell of going through the guided setup. I am caught in an infinite loop. I go through the setup, and at the end of the setup I receive a message that no information has been found in my zip code and it returns me to the beginning of the setup. Over and Over and Over And Over.....etc....etc.....

I am fairly good with gadgets of this sort. I know networking and I have a good handle on how things work. I have rebooted everything involved in my house. Router, modem, Tivo,...etc...etc..I tried hard wired AND wireless, I have tried MANY zip codes. Even a NYC zip code, but, no matter what Zip code I enter, it doesent work

I even tried a "code 56" force software update but (not sure if I am doing it right) nothing gives.....wont update anything...it just starts as normal.

I have called support, but the only thing they can tell me is they will escalate my issue to a tech that will "eventually" call me back. So, in the mean time, I have a $199.00 brick sitting in my living room that I cannot even do anything with

From what I am seeing on the internet, months ago Tivo admitted that they are aware of this issue and have been working on a fix. So, in the mean time, I cant even use my device

Does ANYONE out there have any tips for me? Or has anyone out there went through this and know of a fix?

This is SUPER frustrating :/

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have heard of this, but can't find the posts. You seem to have tried everything except one. It's true using zipcode 00000 has been done, but I would run guided setup for OTA. Obviously it's not a zipcode issue. It is an initial setup problem.

When you run GS, the first prompt is asking for a country. At that time, hit the Info key. You will then see the current software version. That might be a clue. Meanwhile I'll try a different search.

3. GaryJFalzone

GaryJFalzone New Member

Jan 20, 2018
    Thank you so much for your reply

About 10 minutes ago (while running the setup for the 50th time), My Tivo rebooted (out of nowhere) and stated, "Preparing System update". so, once the series of reboots went through, it returned me to the setup screen.

I tried the setup process again (it is running now). But , this time when on the loading info prompt, it is actually showing a percentage complete. It didnt do that before since I initialized the Cable Card.So, who knows? Maybe it will work this time? If not, I will try the "00000" ZIP code

I am keeping my fingers crossed

Thanks again for the reply. i will report back and let you know

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm guessing it is now loading Hydra. Decide now if you want to keep it or downgrade to the HDUI.

It's your life -> Hydra Issues

If it is loading Hydra, you will have to repeat GS. Check the software version.

5. GaryJFalzone

GaryJFalzone New Member

Jan 20, 2018

Advertisements

Ok..the update worked

Thanks so much for the quick replies

Not sure if they pushed the update out from tech Support, or if it was all coincidental, but, regardless, I am glad it's working

Gonna go play now. Thank you :)

JoeKustra likes this.