Guided setup keeps telling me there are no providers or channels in my zip code

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by linusvanpelt13, Sep 20, 2016.

1. linusvanpelt13

linusvanpelt13 New Member

Sep 20, 2016
    If this is a repost, I sincerely apologize.

I have an old standalone Series 2 that I have not used in YEARS. So long in fact that the channel guide only had analog channels listed from the last time I had cable almost a decade ago.

When I recently opted to drop satellite (with which I had replaced cable), I dusted off the old girl and fired her up.

Since I no longer had cable and needed to add the digital subchannels, I decided to re-run guided setup. BIG mistake.

I put in my zip, the unit called in, and told me there were no local channels for my zip.

I tried a different zip for a larger city nearby that would have same channel lineup. Same result.

Heck, I tried a New York City zip and it could not find anything.

So then I told the unit had cable. Same result.

Then I tried satellite. Ditto.

No matter the zip code or the type of service I say I have, the Tivo mothership keeps telling me there are no channels for me.

And so I am stuck in an endless, inescapable, guided setup loop.

ANY suggestions on what to try would be hugely appreciated.

cheers

2. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Do S2 boxes actually have digital tuners? Seems to me they might be too old for that, but I do not really know. Maybe without a tuning adaptor configured the mothership is smart enough to know there actually are NOT any analog channels left for you to watch? Just a thought ...

I have an old one stuffed in a closet, but I'm not gonna drag it out to test!

3. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    No they don't, but they need to know what the channels are so they can send the IR codes to the cable box or digital adapter. (OP is possibly unaware that he needs an ATSC Digital Television Adapter between the antenna and the TiVo.)

I think I would try nearby ZIP codes that have the same cable provider might see the same broadcast towers. And call TiVo so the problem gets registered. Also, if you don't have a DTA you'll need to get one and use it in place of a cable box.

Edit: Didn't notice you were OTA on the first pass.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  4. danm628

danm628 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 14, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    TiVo is in the middle of switching Series 2 units to use the Rovi guide data instead of Gracenote. This requires a software update to the S2.

I don't believe you can get the Gracenote data at this point. You probably need to wait to get the new Rovi compatible software download from TiVo and then run guided setup.

You might want to look here for info about the S2 update: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=543393

There are a lot of other threads about the Rovi switch that you might want to read.

- Dan

5. linusvanpelt13

linusvanpelt13 New Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Thanks for the feedback; the Tivo knows there's a need for an external converter, and I do have it. I'm beginning to think calling Tivo might be the only option as I kept getting the same basic response of "we got nothing" no matter what zip code or service type (at various points I tried the satellite and cable options in an effort just to get out of guided setup) I attempted.

6. danm628

danm628 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 14, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    Calling TiVo and giving them your TSN could get your S2 upgraded a little earlier. Until the updated firmware is installed you won't have any guide data or lineups.

- Dan

7. RAF

RAF New Member

Sep 25, 2016
    This is the problem my parents are having. They have a Premiere lifetime service w/cable (account is in my name). They can only get to guided set up &... even though the support guy at Tivo chat didn't seem to believe me, the box insists it can't find *any* cable providers at *any* zip code I enter... So am I right in guessing if I can get Tivo to send the software update again, It might get us to whatever problem is gonna be next :eek:

So here's the rest of my rambling tale... my folks were probably among the last people on the planet to update via dial-up. During that last dial-up update on the 15th - the system froze. After about 24 hours, my Mom tried rebooting it - which of course was past the time that info could be sent to the unit. When she couldn't even get to previously recorded programs anymore, she just unplugged the box from everything for several days until I could get there with 100' of ethernet cable to make a wired connection from the broadband router at the other side of the house. After I tried multiple reboots, just for laughs I plugged the ethernet into their bluray player and successfully watched a couple of Netflix shows - so I think the connection's okay. Ironically their cable service is through Suddenlink, who use Tivo for set top boxes. We checked and yes, we're using the correct zip code for our service and Suddenlink's guide update has already gone through.

Unfortunately... I have to go back to work in another city now. I left the Tivo on w/ the ethernet connected. I have a couple of open case#'s on file. Is it safe to assume that Tivo will try to send the update again as a fix and when the cases show "closed" I should tell my mom to try the set up again? Also, when she called about the zip code, Suddenlink was keen to get her to bundle services. I was thinking if she at least added them as her internet service, they might be able to fix the Tivo connection while they were there.

Lastly, Tivo has offered a TiVo-renewed 500 GB BOLT with Product Lifetime Service as an apology for not being able to access via dial-up anymore. Would a different unit help solve the problems we're having? And would the Bolt work better for them? They only have one TV, a desktop computer and no plans to go wireless.

8. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    For free? Take it. Premiere is two generations prior to Bolt.

Do they have a router at all though?

9. RAF

RAF New Member

Sep 25, 2016
    My folks have a router as part of their current internet service. I'm sure if they switch to Suddenlink, they'll be using whatever comes with the service... And I guessed Bolt was probably a much better machine :D

10. HarperVision

HarperVision TiVo's Italian Cuz!

May 14, 2007
    Paradise...
    If you don't take that deal you may as well sell everything TiVo you own, including stocks, and run away from here, never to be heard from again! :eek:

If you haven't gotten the gist of what I'm trying to say yet, the answer is YES, YES, YES!!!!! :p

11. RAF

RAF New Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Thanks, of course you're right. Still very bummed that I could not restore any kind of functionality to their service in the 5 days I was there. Trying to get out of the mindset that a newer, better brick is still a brick.

12. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    Premiere dial-up connections have stopped working. Permanently. It will never work again. Tivo intentionally broke it. Dial-up will only work for Series 2 and Series 3 units going forward.

If you take the Bolt, you'll have the same exact problem, but at least it'll be a newer DVR with built-in Wifi. Your parents will be forced to go wireless with a broadband connection.

13. RAF

RAF New Member

Sep 25, 2016
    I was able to connect the Premiere to broadband. I just expected that it would instantly go find the software update it needed and we'd be back in business. That hasn't happened. So you're saying the Bolt *requires* a wireless connection to work? If that's the case, that's exactly the information I needed to know - it would be a useless update.

14. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    No. Wireless is just one of the options available for Bolt to connect. That's in addition to:

1 - Ethernet connection to router (or Ethernet port devices, such as extenders).

2 - MoCA (Ethernet via coaxial).

See the link below:

https://www.tivo.com/quick-links/welcome-center-tivo-bolt/setup-and-connect

Scroll towards the end where it says "Connect TiVo BOLT to the Internet".

15. Dodgerdave

Dodgerdave New Member

Sep 26, 2016
    I am having the same problem right now.

I just got an open-box Roamio (cable+OTA) and it appears it had not been used before. The remote batteries hadn’t even been taken out of the shrink wrap. I activated it online no problem.

I am only using antenna right now. However, when I went through the setup, it said it could not find antenna information for my zip code. I tried a few others and it didn’t work. It does connect through wifi and ethernet (during set up it says Connecting…Downloading…etc) but it never finds info.

I called Tivo and the guy was actually really nice and he had me try setting up a cable card using the get a card later option. That way we could get past setup and get the update. Same thing. No carrier information for that zip code. I finally bypassed all that and ended at the screen to select a temporary carrier but it was blank, no options listed, and that was it.

The guy was stumped and said that while I say I’m connecting, his system said it wasn’t. He gave me a case number and said higher ups would contact me. He verified that the machine had no previous history and is actually covered under warranty.

The rep on the phone mentioned a software update that was pushed out on the 15th and that he was seeing a trend with others. This must be the trend. So I need the update apparently but can’t connect to get the update!

16. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Could you post your zipcode?

BTW, I have never used the supplied batteries for any device.

17. Dodgerdave

Dodgerdave New Member

Sep 26, 2016
    I'm in 85226, middle of metro Phoenix.

18. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Your zipcode works for my Premiere. It has 20.6.1a.RC10 firmware. Checking tv.com, that zipcode shows two OTA choices. It's weird that the lineup has 3.10, not just 3.1. But it does put your channels in my Channel List. Sorry I couldn't help more.

If you can check System Information, the update that was pushed out is 20.6.1.5.RC7.

19. RAF

RAF New Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Please repost here when you get *any* additional information!

20. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    Sure, and maybe I assumed wrong. I should have been more clear, but I was in a rush.

He's got a 100' long cable running from the Tivo to the router, and it sounded like it was in the way.

For MoCA to work, he'd have to buy a MoCA router. He could buy a used FIOS router on eBay.

Wireless routers are much easier to find and very common.

But I am nervous that the DVR just froze. That's not supposed to happen. Is the hard drive on that DVR on its way out?