Guided setup and OTA

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by seggers, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Oct 9, 2016 #1 of 21
    seggers

seggers Member

Oct 6, 2008
    WNY

Advertisements

It's been a while, but we're still here with our old S3.

So a piece of advice to begin with. Never, never, ever run guided setup unless you really, really have to. It's advice that I wish I had heeded...

I was mucking around with my HT and I decided to change out the ariel, in readiness of the Atmos speakers etc. And because of that I decided to rerun GS.

Bad, big bad on my part. It never finished. And once you've started it, you can never return...

So, running an antenna version only, it would successfully do the first call home, load all that and then sit on the Please Wait screen. Pretty much forever it would seem.

I have wiped out the thumbs and program stuff. I haven't deleted everything and started again. I'd like to avoid that if I may.

The unit restarts successfully every time, I don't see any errors and programs are recorded and played back without any issue.

My question is, why would it load data from TiVo/home and then fail to scan the OTA channels? If I run GS as a cable/OTA mix (the 2nd option) it all goes to completion. But I get cbl channels and duplicated OTA entries (17-1 twice).

Any one got any thoughts or suggestions on this?

Seggers

PS, our HDMI board went out so we're on component connections and I tried with the original ariel. No luck, same issue.

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Inputs (in the case of S3s, S3 HDs, and S3 HD XLs, we're talking antenna and cable RF inputs--the threaded nipple things) are inputs, and outputs (which on the S3 models are HDMI, component--the Red, Green, Blue jacks, and composite--the yellow jack) are outputs, and problems in one area do not require changes in the other.

Be sure you have any incoming cable connected to the cable input and any antenna lead connected to the antenna input, and not reversed or one omitted.

Guess how I know to suggest that? :D ;) :eek: :rolleyes:

Do you actually have cable as well as an OTA antenna (Over The Air), and if so, do you have cable cards?

Are you going into Settings, Channel Settings, Channel List, and hitting Enter to tell it you have the wrong lineup?

Anyway, do not do Messages and Settings, Restart or Reset System, Clear & delete everything, or Repeat Guided Setup.

But Clear Thumb Ratings & Suggestions and Clear program info & To Do list might become necessary.

Do you know if the unit had successfully downloaded and installed the new software, necessitated by the switch from Tribune/Gracenote program data to Rovi program data, before you started changing things?

Because if it's in the middle of that, it could possibly complicate things and add a lot of extra waiting time.

On S3s without any other changes going on it took several hours for the Preparing to install new software phase and several hours for the Installing new software phase.

3. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Posting my experience with "Please Wait" on a Tivo HD with antenna only guided setup.

Due to a move and Comcast not available yet in my new area. I tried setting up my Tivo HD for Antenna only and got stuck on Please Wait like the original poster. The only way I could get it to complete scanning for channels was to setup it up for both cable and antenna. Even when it completed scanning for channels on the antenna, it only worked for a few channels. I had seen it scan for all the channels during setup, but those channels did not appear later on after setup was done. The missing channels didn't show up either when testing antenna signal strength. After a couple calls to Tivo support, they claimed that the antenna tuner was going/gone bad. Attributed it to not completing antenna only setup and not working properly when setting up antenna & cable. Tivo support suggested trying to see if weakknees might repair/replace the tuner or buy a new Tivo unit. My Tivo HD served me well and may still work with a cablecard on the other tuner.

Also, I setup a Premiere running off the antenna and it works perfectly, but two tuners just isn't enough with padding these days, so I ordered Roamio OTA to bring the tuner count up.

4. videobruce

videobruce OTA is still alive

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    Another in the long list of problems with these F/W changes. :mad:
    I encountered the same thing. After the initial 'Getting Setup Info" stage, it hangs on 'Please Wait', but doesn't get past that even after several power cycles and leaving it run overnight.

5. Jan 2, 2017 #5 of 21
    V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...

Advertisements

Do you get to re-start Guided Setup after a cold boot (unplugged for 30 seconds), or does the box just immediately take up where it was frozen?

If you get to restart Guided Setup, then try entering zip 00000 first. That may let you complete the first connection and data download, then when it tells you that you need a different zip code, go back to Guided Setup screen, but do NOT start it yet - do a new cold boot and see if it does the software update first.

6. robertivo99

robertivo99 New Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Hey, I'm having the same darned thing. S3 had been working fine; here's where I encountered trouble.

I have antenna only, no cable. Over the past week or two I would have these new channels show up on my channel list even though I had not done a channel search. Well, in the past I could go into settings and just deselect those channels and they would no longer show up on my active channel list. But now, for some reason, even after deselecting them they don't go away.

So, last night I was back in setup and I ended up somewhere and told it to do a new channel search or something (can't recall exactly where I was in the setting menu). So it displayed a Please Wait... message and just sat there. I let it sit all night, and this morning it was still sitting there looking stupid.

So far today I have cycled power (twice) and setup launches fine. I get through configuring my network settings, it appears to connect and go through it's steps OK, then tells me it needs to do something that should take 3-5 minutes. I Continue and it puts up the Please Wait... message and that's it. Nothing more.

Apparently I'm not the only one this is happening to.
    ======
    OK, I worked the problem some more this afternoon. After trying a few different approaches and I think I got things back to normal.

After cycling power again and doing Setup, what I did was use my real zip code, but instead of selecting Antenna only for input I selected Cable and Antenna. I managed to work my way through the cable options to where I could not select any cable provider. I just arrowed on and it went through to searching for antenna channels.

Once the above finished and I got live TV again, I found that some of the antenna channels it allegedly found--which should have worked--did not, plus there were a whole bunch of cable channels in my list which, of course, I could not use. Yes, even though I was able to NOT select a cable provider, it gave me a bunch anyway and selected some. So, I had it do another channel search. This time it picked up 20 antenna channels which was about right.

I had to go into the channel list and de-select the cable channels that it checked. I also had to de-select some of the antenna channels it selected--which were the correct channel number, but I had to select a different instance of the same channel number which had a "digital" channel number in the description. The other thing I did along the way was give all of the antenna channels I receive a thumbs-up as a Favorite. When done, I right arrowed on to complete the task.

After doing the above my system seems to be back to normal now. The channel selector on the remote cycles through my list of channels and I do not have any spurious antenna or cable channels in my list. I sure hope it holds because this was a fairly major PITA.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  7. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    You aren't the only one! Obviously, this hasn't been fixed. :mad:

8. robertivo99

robertivo99 New Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Now I have a new problem. I had been getting the Guide information for all channels, except for the ones where I had to select the one with the right digital channel number. As of 2 evenings ago the Guide information is gone for every channel! It says, "To be announced," for every darned station! I tried a system restart, but it had no effect.

9. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    Are these OTA or CATV?

10. robertivo99

robertivo99 New Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Mine is OTA. But, the Guide info comes in through the internet, I believe.

11. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    I was referring to the RF setup, where the data comes from is immaterial.
    You have the double channel listing problem, don't you? It shouldn't matter which one of the two gets unchecked. Have you forced a network 'connection'?

12. robertivo99

robertivo99 New Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Yes, have the duplicate channel problem--actually triple. forced a successful network connection 2 or 3 times, as recent as about 21 hours ago. Still no guide information whatsoever. Next to the channel# it says, "To be announced." Up in the information area it says, "No information available" This is on every channel.

Now this did not become the case until a few days ago. Prior to that I had guide info for all channels except for 3 or 4 networks for which the wrong channel (of the 3 channels for that network) got selected after running a guided setup. Once I went in and selected the channel with a "digital" channel# I could get the broadcast to display, but I had no guide info for that network's stations.

13. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    Gotta love these multiple updates.
    Three listings for each OTA station?? Have you considered a another GS after a C&D everything? Or do what I'm trying to do, restore a virgin image to the drive and start from scratch.

14. robertivo99

robertivo99 New Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Yep. I have:
    1) My original local channel entry which no longer works.
    2) A new entry for the same local channel, but with a "digital" channel#. This one works.
    3) Another entry for the same channel which must be applicable to a TV station somewhere in a parallel universe.

I'm a little worried about doing another GS because that's where I encountered the 'Please wait' (forever) situation. It might be my only option, but I'm going to try contacting Tivo Support first.

Not sure what you mean by C&D. (It's early. Not enough coffee yet....)

15. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    Clear & Delete.
    It could be a problem with Shape-shifters.

16. robertivo99

robertivo99 New Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Do you think I should wrap it in a couple layers of aluminum foil?

17. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    seggers;
    I just noticed where you are from.
    I contacted TiVo regarding the problem. He had me try another local zip code, but no difference (which didn't surprise me)> He then had me try a Denver code 80525 which DID allow getting past the "Please Wait" screen. Doing the 00000 zip code also allowed GS to continue. After well over an hour, he had their 2nd level; open a case on this. (#06619844). How about contacting them with my case number and report your situation.
    As usual, this was the 1st they heard about this. He did admit the no channel found (or whatever the message is) they ARE aware of.

The temp. solution is to use both OTA & CATV. Add one more to the endless list of issues. :rage:

18. robertivo99

robertivo99 New Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Well, everyone, I have some great news to report. I had noticed in another thread that people with Premier's were now getting good Guide data so I thought "what-the-heck" I'll try a Guided Setup on my S3 and see what happens. This time I selected 'Antenna only' for input rather than cable and antenna, but instead of using my actual zip code for the suburb I am in I used the zip code for the larger city my 'burb is adjacent to. The dreaded 'Please Wait' (bwahahahah) message was only up for half-a-minute, if that, and it proceeded to channel scanning. It selected only the channels I receive and proceed to loading information. Loading info completed successfully and [be still my heart] after four months of frustration I ACTUALLY HAVE GUIDE INFORMATION AGAIN! WOO-HOO!!!!!

Not sure whether Tivo/Rovi finally fixed something or whether the alternate zip code was the difference, but this is a very happy day. :blush::tearsofjoy:

19. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    I think is a issue with certain zip codes. I doubt it's been fixed, not much else has.............
    Thou choosing a "city" zip code vs a 1st or 2nd ring 'suburb' for OTA shouldn't matter.

20. robertivo99

robertivo99 New Member

Jan 3, 2016
    I saw in another thread people were talking about how many days of guide data they had. I don't know how much we're supposed to have but I just checked mine. Today is 4/12/17 and I have data going out as far as 4/24/17.