Guided set up

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by parsonjr, Jun 27, 2011.

1. parsonjr

parsonjr New Member

Nov 23, 2002
    Godalming,En...
    Before I post another problem that I cant resolve, can anyone tell me how to leave the guided set up page you first see when you go to guided set up. There is an option to press select to proceed, which I dont wish to do at the moment but I cant see an option to effectively go back to the main Tivo menu. Pressing the main menu tivo button simply gives a thumbs down type sound.

2. SolidTechie

SolidTechie New Member

Dec 11, 2002
    Rugeley, Staffs
    I think you can either try a left arrow (back) or proceed through the GS a little and then press TiVo - but I'm not in front of my machine so can't check.

If you have the AltEPG iso - there is a reboot/kickstart facility ot abort GS - but I don't think you have even got as far as starting it yet.

3. worm

worm Damn The Man!

Feb 10, 2005
    Coldstream...
    Apart from the kickstart option (which I haven't researched yet) I can't find a way to get out of Guided Setup once you have started it.

It's a real pain.

4. Trinitron

Trinitron New Member

Jan 20, 2003
    North West
    If you have network access, the fixsub script should sort out GS. The line

dbobj $sobj set Complete 7

tells TiVo GS has completed ok.

5. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Are you in Guided Setup but the Tivo is still trying to use the original Tivo 0808 dial up number rather than one of the AltEPG numbers entered in the Dial Prefix field under Phone Options? If so you are screwed unfortunately now that Tivo have withdrawn their EPG and reimaging the drive(s) would be the only way out.

If on the other hand you are just finding the AltEPG 01274 number nearly always engaged then your best bet is to set your alarm for 4am and try a call then as it will probably be free at that time. Also eventually I believe the AltEPG will have more capacity available on the 01274 number if you are very patient..........

6. worm

worm Damn The Man!

Feb 10, 2005
    Coldstream...
    Nope, using the AltEPG image and neither network call or dialup with the new 0845 line will connect.

I suspect something is screwy (my other TiVo upstairs has moved to AltEPG with no problems) but unless I can get out of Guided Setup it's hard to check stuff.

Will investigate fixsub

7. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    That's wrong - guided setup has the option to change the dial prefix too...
    http://tivocentral.co.uk/guidedsetup/#10

8. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    But I thought that once you have gone past the Phone Options screen you are then stuck if you told Tivo to use a number that is no longer in service (eg the built in 0808 number). Even if you reboot by pulling the plug you don't get back to the Phone Options screen by doing so do you?

9. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Are you sure you entered the 0845 number correctly or didn't instead enter the alternative 0845 number for Tivo that now no longer allows a Tivo to do a Guided Setup or anything else other than get Account Closed status and setting the clock.

Its the 60 lines 0845 Tivo number that you want.

10. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Follow the link I posted above and see the sequence of screens... there's a phone options screen in guided setup.

11. worm

worm Damn The Man!

Feb 10, 2005
    Coldstream...
    Hard to check until I get home, but I'm 99% sure I used the right number.

Hang on, I can check the log (at work but can get to TiVoWeb)

dialPrefix = 08450800300

Fails on the network as well, which makes me think it's screwed up somehow. My amateurish reading of the log makes me suspect that somehow the internal emulator has decided to ignore everything. It looks like the connection to AltEPG is being made, but no data comes through.

I may just have to pull the disk and re-image it. Which is a pain, but do-able.

Anyway, needs to be discussed on the other fourm, carry on :)

12. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    What happens if the "Setup Call" screen does not complete because Tivo is still trying to use its built in 0808 number or some other Tivo backup 0845 or 020 number entered in Dial Prefix that is no longer operational for Guided Setup data download.

What happens if you pull the plug on your Tivo and force it to reboot at that stage in the proceedings? Do you ever get back to the Phone Options screen?

13. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    That's the correct 60 line number for AltEPG that everyone else seems to be using without any issues.

14. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    If you pull the plug before guided setup is complete (at any stage)
    then when it restarts it goes right back to stage 1 "Enter RF channel".

It still gives you the option of phone dialling options before the call
    and even later on if the long programme data call failsl you get the option of retry or edit phone dialling options.

@worm - removing the dial prefix totally makes it use the network on later altepg images.

15. worm

worm Damn The Man!

Feb 10, 2005
    Coldstream...
    Yup - and it then just fails over the network.

Code:
    06/28:07:26:33: /tvbin/TClient: Executing HTTP command: /tvbin/http_post /var/log/svclog http://127.0.0.1:8000/tivo-service/mlog.cgi OFF OFF ON
    06/28:07:29:33: /tvbin/TClient: Failed while POSTing downloaded files stats: connect failed, reason = Connection timed out

my reading of that is that the internal emulator is not connecting for some reason. (you get the same thing from dialup and network) but I have no idea how the actual process of that works.

16. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Have you tried a pull the power plug reboot before trying to connect again.

17. worm

worm Damn The Man!

Feb 10, 2005
    Coldstream...
    Indeed.