Guide - is there a quicker way to move around

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Outback Paul, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Outback Paul

Outback Paul Member

Dec 21, 2003
    North Carolina
    Hey, I got hooked up with D* yesterday and have been trying to figure out a quicker way to scroll right in the guide. I just crossed over from E* and on their guide you could press any number like 7 and the program guide would move ahead 7 hours. You could also press FF and it would move ahead 24 hours. Is there anything like this with DirecTV. I have an R10.

Thanks

2. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    I personally use the TiVo guide rather than the DTV Guide. I find it far quicker and much easier to navigate, find programs etc. IMHO the grid guide was only done for DirecTV's sake and has never been well supported.

3. jmarks2001

jmarks2001 New Member

Dec 14, 2003
    Yeah, use the Tivo/List guide. Much quicker interface. Takes a little getting used to but I find it much more functional and MUCH faster.

While in the Guide, hit the Info button on your remote and set the Guide Style option to "Tivo Style Guide" or "List Guide". What it will be called exactly depends on the software version. If it's the latest version, which it probably is, it should be the "List Guide".

4. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    Although it is faster than the grid, the List guide is still unbearably slow. DirecTv w/ TiVo receivers are the hands down winners in the slowness of response category.

5. Outback Paul

Outback Paul Member

Dec 21, 2003
    North Carolina
    You got that right... it's really slow compared to what I am used to with E*'s 510. I still like the guide but it's going to take some getting used to.

6. gtrogue

gtrogue Mentally Hilarious

Jun 18, 2001
    Atlanta
    You can use the FF and RWD buttons to move forward and back in the guide. You can also hit the Info button and set the guide to any day you wish.

If you haven't yet, take everyone else's advice and use the Tivo List guide. It is much more useful and fast.

7. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Also, the ch + and - buttons will scroll the display one screen at a time.

8. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    dont ever get a hr10-250...you'd retire before the guide changed :)

9. jrgtivo

jrgtivo Member

Mar 8, 2004
    So to answer your question. No, the Dtivo guide, in either form, does not have the ability to quickly move forward by huge blocks of time. Want to see what's on a certain channel next week, you've got a lot of key presses ahead of you.

I moved from E* to Dtivo. I miss that guide functionality and the browse window you could pull up to see what is on other channels and at other times without drastically imposing on your program viewing.

If I hadn't wanted to hack my box for HMO, I probably would not have made the switch.

10. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    As we have all found out in this world, it is always a matter of compromises, and there is no perfect solution, no matter what.

But with hacks, pre-R10 Series 2 DirecTiVos with version 6.2 for a Standard Definition DVR are IMHO my best choice, but it really depends upon your individual requirements.

Additional Edit:

I really have grown to like the List Guide available on TiVos, but then again it was really slow before 6.2, and I have almost always hated the standard 1960's "TV Guide" grid on all receivers and in most other software, it is so 1960's, and I wish someone would invent something better. The "TV Guide" grid really limits what you can see at any one time, and most receivers I have ever had, it was always DOG slow and always proved to be very clumsy. I can't talk about Dish receivers or DVRs, because I have been with DirecTV since 1994.

11. Bob_Newhart

Bob_Newhart My Custom User Title

Jul 14, 2004
    Houston
    The only thing I didn't like about the Tivo guide is that you couldn't easily see what was on a channel in the next 1/2 hour or so unless you were on that channel in the guide. And then of course it shows what's on that channel for the next few hours.

12. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    Actually the TiVo guide shows what is on that single channel for the next 4 to 16 hours or more (depending upon length of programming). And after the 6.2 upgrade moving through the TiVo List guide is so fast that viewing what is on the displayed eight channels for that 4 to 16 hour or more time period takes very little time at all.

The problem with the 1960's "TV Guide" style guide is that in almost all cases it only displays the next hour and half (in one case I saw where one device showed two hours) for 5 to 8 channels (mostly 5 channels at a time), I guess it would useful for those viewers who are in a hurry and view "LIVE TV" a lot, but then in this case I am not one of those people. I quit viewing a lot of "LIVE TV" on a whole many years ago.

And let face it, people have progressed from a "TV Guide" style guide format in the newspaper to the same format on receivers and cable STBs, and most still watch a lot of "LIVE TV", in some cases because that is their lifestyle or they haven't been using the DVR for six years or so to change their lifestyle and the "TV Guide" format is comfortable for them to use, we can understand why they use it. In addition, if they don’t have a 6.2 SD model DirecTiVo, the DirecTiVo List guide is very slow.

I can’t fault anyone for using the 1960’s style “TV Guide” guides, but for me the TiVo List guide is great for my lifestyle and is even better since the 6.2 upgrade increased its speed by about three fold or more, and in fact there is very little delay in its display, which is fantastic. By then again, I don’t use it to view what is on in a week or two. I use the other tools to view what is on specific channels in the far future and to review Season Pass possibilities.

So to me each to their own and the choice is really a matter of lifestyle, purpose, and what model of DirecTiVo you use or DVR/receiver that you use.

13. PxT

PxT New Member

Oct 10, 2002
    Sacto, CA

Fast-Forward button will advance the guide by 1/2 hour, very easy.

14. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    With the guide displayed, press the display or info button. This brings up an option menu. The same one that is used to select which guide to see. But, there is also a line where you can move out in time. Select the day option and then the hour option.

15. Outback Paul

Outback Paul Member

Dec 21, 2003
    North Carolina
    So while in the Guide that you can see while hearing the TV show if I press Guide and select List, that is the Tivo Guide?

I've seen the Tivo guide on the blue background but it only displays a 1/2 hour. Is there anyway to change that?

Thanks

16. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Yes.

I don't know what you are looking at that only displays a 1/2 hour.
    With the TiVo style guide you see a screen with two side by side windows. The left side lists eight channels from top to bottom with one of them highlighted. The right side shows 8 upcoming shows. With the left side highlighted you can scroll up and down the channel list. With the focus on the right side, you can scroll through the shows for that selected channel.

17. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    I guess I never worry much about using the guide as once I set all my season passes, I just go straight to the "Now Playing List". Other than sporting events, I rarely watch live TV anymore.

18. whatever

whatever Tivo is Life.

Mar 13, 2004
    So. California
    My Phillips 704 was pretty slow with either guide choice. Then the hard drive it came with started to die. So I replaced it with a larger, faster hard drive and it's running much faster. Granted, it's not speedy but it has been an improvement.

19. Outback Paul

Outback Paul Member

Dec 21, 2003
    North Carolina
    I get that one by going to DirecTV Central>Pick Programs to Record>Record by Time or Channel>Browse by Time

Thanks for all the input!! :up: :up:

Paul