Guide info different between 2 TiVo Bolts within same house

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by JKR123, Oct 30, 2019.

1. JKR123

JKR123 Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Major weirdness going on here. One of my OnePass shows (Rachel Maddow) has started taping the wrong episode. I know that the guide info can be wrong but how can it be different between 2 TiVo boxes on the same home network? For the episode currently playing at 9pm ET, one of my Bolt boxes shows S2019 E274 ‘10-30-2019’ and the other Bolt shows S2019 E275 ‘10-30-2019-2’. I am attempting to attach screen shots of what I am referring to. I originally chalked it up to a timing issue where one box connected to the network after the other (3am vs 9am) and got a revised listing but I just did a reboot and network update for the box that connected before the other one and it still has different info when I bring up upcoming episodes. I tried going to the tvlistings.zap2it.com website to verify what is correct but I must be looking at it wrong because it appears to show tonight’s episode as #216. I am sure there is a logical explanation for all of this but I can’t seem to figure it out. If this is a timing issue, can I force the boxes to do a network connection at a specific time of day?

Attached Files:

2. JKR123

JKR123 Member

Feb 10, 2019
    And I meant to point out I am referring to the SD channel # 42.

3. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    My Roamio says EP 275.

4. JKR123

JKR123 Member

Feb 10, 2019
    That is even stranger because on my box that I thought was correct shows tonight’s episode was #274.

5. JKR123

JKR123 Member

Feb 10, 2019
    If I do a google search on the show’s episodes, it shows tonight’s should be #216. At this point I don’t know which of my boxes has the incorrect information. I am wondering if my boxes are somehow pulling the guide data from 2 different sources. Is that a possibility?

6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    No, shouldn't be. The one showing the different episode information on the SD channel information would certainly appear to be wrong since it should be the same as the HD channel.

Scott

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You won't be the first member who forces a service connection at a specific time every day. That's the only way to be sure two boxes are in sync. Even a restart of both boxes does not ensure service connections will be in sync.

Make two calendars. Everyday (for a month) write down (from System Information) the time of the Service Connection and the Program Information To: date. After a month you will see the pattern. If the server's hamsters don't go on strike it will be easy to identify. I have three active basic Roamio boxes. Two have one pattern and the other has its own. TE3/TE4 is not a factor. When there is a failure, it will be posted here: Daily Guide Updates

I almost never force an update. A Service Connection is always done on any TiVo within 30 minutes of a restart.

8. JandS

JandS Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 1, 2010
    East of Seattle
    We're in PDT (Seattle area, Comcast) Our two boxes Roamio (6 tuner) and Bolt (6 tuner) often have different episode info between them for the same exact time-slot. Plus, the 6pm vs 9pm PDT replay for Rachel Maddow often results in either duplicate recordings or occasionally totally missed recordings.

My half-baked "theory" is that the 9pm replay is actually 12 midnight Eastern and that there's some weird coding error where the To-Do list forgets to allow for the timezone difference and so thinks it's a new day. Haven't got a theory on the different episode info.

Have considered submitting guide fix requests but my optimism ran out while attempting to explain the convolutions.

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Not so half-baked. On my guide, the midnight TRMS does not have a new icon and an (R), so it doesn't repeat. I also record Late Night at 12:37am. sometimes it has an OAD of the day before, sometime it has the correct date. TiVo has never handled midnight well.

Clocks change Sunday. Who knows what that will do.

JandS likes this.
  10. JKR123

JKR123 Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Ughh - I got wrapped up with Halloween tonight and forgot to check tonight’s to-do list and I am now ready to watch the 9pm show and it didn’t tape again. At least I can catch the midnight replay. It was selected when I did the screen shots yesterday with tonight’s episode showing a label of S2019 E276 “10-31-2019-2’, so I thought it would tape. I guess my network connection this afternoon at 12:10 pm ET modified it to be S2019 E276 “10-31-2019” which is what the midnight show last night taped because TiVo thought that was a new episode (which really was a re-play of the 9pm show.). Ughh!! My other box never shows this program with these “-2’s” as part of the episode name.

I changed my One-Pass from “new and re-runs” to “everything”. But will I still be in the same boat and TiVo will still not tape what it thinks is a duplicate? I can’t figure out if this is a coding error as JandS mentioned; if it is a time zone issue as JoeKustra mentioned might be resolved when the clocks change this weekend; or if it is an issue with the 3rd party that creates the guide. I guess I will wait until next week and see what it looks like then and if it is still not correct I will submit this to TiVo support.

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    There is no "third party". TiVo is the creator, like titantv.com is a creator. The two sites that use third party data are tvguide.com (CBS Interactive) and zap2it.com (Gracenote). One site, tv.com, uses TiVo data.

12. JKR123

JKR123 Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Oh ok. Thanks for the info. I will go ahead and report this since it it obviously a TiVo issue.

13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    After Rovi bought TiVo, the guide data went to the dark side. Rovi didn't have to integrate the guide with a DVR. Before Rovi, TiVo used Gracenote and there was a great peace across the land.

The most accurate guide data is on zap2it.com but the web site was rebuilt last year so it's a bit clunky to use. The titantv.com web site is much easier to use, but only 95% accurate.