Guide data sucks

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Davelnlr_, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Sep 1, 2020 #1 of 76
    Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...

Advertisements

It is getting worse day by day. Just today:
    Deadline WhiteHouse on MSNBC recorded from 2:30pm to 3:00pm while the actual show was 3pm to 5pm.
    Nascar Arca race started recording 1 minute before the END of the broadcast, and then recorded 2 and a half hours of crap on NBCSN

It seems every day, the guide data is wrong and I either miss my shows or end up having to set up a 12 hour manual record for a channel to make sure I see what I want.

If I didnt have three lifetime accounts, I would just dump Tivo completely and go with YouTube TV. The Tivo is the only reason I stay with Xfinity. Now I am having to use their Xfinity stream app on my Roku to back up the Tivo.

Very very sad.

2. Sep 1, 2020 #2 of 76
    NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    agreed, wholeheartedly.

i spend way too much time babysitting my to do list, checking the x1 guide to see what's really going to be on, and scheduling manual recordings just in case we go another few days without an update. if i was paying for this service, i'd call and give tivo a piece of my mind! oh, wait...

klia likes this.
  3. Sep 1, 2020 #3 of 76
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Problem is there are two "guides". One half, the current week, is real and gets the updates about daily. The last half is boilerplate and changes maybe every six months. Last Friday we stopped getting updates on TE3. So we have fallen into boilerplate territory. I hope it gets fixed today. Added to the issue is the TE4 data on a TE3 box as I have now. It's signature is that the guide data ends at 8pm (Eastern) and there is TBA until 12:30am a few hours later. During August I would get TE4 data every Friday and it would correct on Monday. This (or last) week it happened on Saturday and hasn't been corrected. Deadline Whitehouse was on that 90 minute schedule during the conventions. Now it is 2 hours and Chuck moved to 1pm. It doesn't help, but TE4 had the Black Panther update and no issues since it receives 3 guide updates every day.

klia likes this.
  4. Sep 1, 2020 #4 of 76
    Dago Red

Dago Red Active Member TCF Club

Oct 22, 2002
    Parsippany, NJ
    Does anyone have the correct guide data on their Tivo for the hockey games tonight? Should be games starting at 7PM and 9:45PM EDT on NBCSN. All I see is generic programming, and that's what tvguide.com is listing also. My Verizon FiOS guide has it correct.
    I also noticed that the College Football schedule on ESPN hasn't been updated for this weekend, as of yet, either.

5. Sep 1, 2020 #5 of 76
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

TE3 hasn't had a guide update since Friday. Also, tvguide.com gets its data from TiVo. Check zap2it.com which uses Gracenote data.

6. Sep 1, 2020 #6 of 76
    Dago Red

Oct 22, 2002
    Parsippany, NJ
    That's what I've had to do for a while now. I'm just wondering if TE4 has the correct listings for the Hockey games.
    Everything has required a manual recording lately. I've been sending in lineup issue reports for the last few days, but haven't seen any updates.

7. Sep 1, 2020 #7 of 76
    jeffsinsfo

jeffsinsfo Member

Oct 15, 2005
    San Francisco
    Bad guide data is the reason I haven't taken TiVo up on any promotion to get a new box (still using my Roamio Pro). Having it record what I tell it to record is the principle reason I own a TiVo. After missing episodes in a variety of "one passes" because of TiVo's bad guide data, I finally learned I had to verify in advance that my TiVo was actually going to record a new episode of a program that was in the middle of a new season. Several times I was able to tell it to record what TiVo was telling me was an episode from a previous season when, of course, it wasn't. (What channel has a new season of a show on and then substitutes an episode from an earlier season in the middle of the run? None.) And, of course, since I choose to save some of these recordings I have to remember in the long term that even though the guide data might say something is season 8, episode 5 it's actually season 10, episode 5.

whoareyou_1999 likes this.
  8. Sep 1, 2020 #8 of 76
    klia

klia Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Guide data has gotten horrendous. With the pandemic, so much broadcast TV is being updated daily, like sporting events and schedule changes in the wake of Chadwick Boseman's death (ABC aired Black Panther commercial-free Sunday and a tribute show, and then I stumbled on Paramount airing 42 and Draft Day back-to-back last night), and this is now the fifth day in a row we've gotten no new guide data except for Friday's 24-hour placeholder blocks, so we're getting none of those changes. It's beyond frustrating, and TiVo doesn't seem to care.

9. Sep 1, 2020 #9 of 76
    whoareyou_1999

whoareyou_1999 Member

Feb 3, 2016

In my case the Tour De France is no longer listed in the guide. Ok, not many people like it but it is the biggest and most important cycling event in the world.
    How can each and every other guide be correct, yet ROVI data is wrong.

Xfinity guide is head and shoulders above TIVO.

One other issue I have with the TIVO guide is with my local PBS programming, and that ALWAYS has generic descriptions. It is impossible to set One Pass for these shows.

TIVO's response to me is that this is correct. TIVO guide is not supposed to have my local PBS station's programming correct. It is working as expected!!!

I used to love TIVO but they are driving my business away from them to Comcast. Never in a million years did I think that could ever be possible.

10. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    They should at least open it up so you can pick and subscribe to other guide services.

JandS likes this.
  11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Tweet sent.

12. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Well, I see that I'm not the only one. I noticed that the guide data hadn't updated for a few days, so I ran a connection a little after noon to no avail. Nothing at all loaded. Lots of incorrect guide data, etc.

It's been bad for a while now, but it's getting worse. I hope that turns around. Do they just not give a crap anymore?

rablake and JandS like this.
  13. davidscarter

davidscarter Active Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Tweet sent as well.

As long as http://online.tivo.com/start/guide is showing TBA past 9/9, we aren't getting anything new on our TiVos—the problem is at the source...

14. klia

klia Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Thanks for that link. Good to have that as a reference for when CS reps try to gaslight users into "troubleshooting" their equipment when the problem is at TiVo's end.

JandS likes this.
  15. Dago Red

Oct 22, 2002
    Parsippany, NJ
    Is there an online reference for the TE4 guide data, or are they both the same?

16. cpgny9

cpgny9 Member

Feb 28, 2006
    I'm not one to generally give them the benefit of the doubt, but I hadn't really noticed the guide issues until covid hit. I don't mean it in a sense that the people that work at the guide data company aren't at work, but the stations seem to keep changing their programming. Especially sports programming. In the NY/NJ area - YES network guide data is constantly incorrect or "to be announced" , and truth be told, hour by hour, if there is or isnt a yankees game could change. Basketball games and baseball games are being cancelled due to protest and nobody knows whats going to be shown instead. Even non-sports programming seems to be constantly changing. Throw in election programming and random shows being pulled off the air (i.e. LivePD) due to the times we live in and it may just be to a point where they have thrown in the towel until things settle down. What is odd, is that I have a bolt in one room and a roamio plus in another - if I do a call in at the same time on both, the guide data will be different . . the roamio will always have big gaps. Again, mostly on the sports channels, but odd its not on both. Im thinking they may not be putting out the guide data so much into the future since its changing so much.

17. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Not acceptable, if Gracenote can keep up so can TiVo. No excuse.

18. JandS

JandS Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 1, 2010
    East of Seattle
    Is there a way to edit program info after a recording has been made with an incorrect title? I don't recall ever hearing of this, but with the guide data being so bad maybe it would be worth doing for longer-term-hold recordings, e.g. movies

JKR123 likes this.
  19. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    No documentation. Guides are not the same.

20. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    You could offload it via pyTivo or kmttg and then update the metadata using a meta data generator and then use pyTiVo to send it back to the TiVo. But I don’t think you can do any of this or at least certain parts of it essentially negating it all on TE4. And all of these programs are a pain to use for a lot of people. All of these tools are linked in here if you search. Will just take about 20 hours of research to figure out how to use them.

JandS likes this.