Guide data seems to be getting worse!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ahwman, Feb 18, 2015.

1. ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed lately the growing inaccuracies in the guide data leading to missed or repeat recordings? I'm stunned to see how many shows I'm missing because the original air date is incorrect. Example: Property brothers on HGTV aired tonight at 9:00 PM EST and though the episode is marked as new, the original air date shows 01/12/15 instead of 02/18/15. This is happening across many different series/channels. I spoke with TiVo and honestly they seemed clueless and asked me to report each of these occurrences which is simply ridiculous as it would become a full time job.

I just can't imagine how Tribune Media which I believe supplies EPG data can get away with such poor and inaccurate data - though I'm sure they would simply pass blame on the content providers which may in fact be part of the equation. In any case, this is simply unacceptable as it defeats the whole point of set it and forget it...

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I usually see updates correct bad listings. But the 2/28 SNL is still not showing new. BTW, Blame Gracenote: they bought TMS.

I put in a complaint about the guide no longer saying "live". Response was "we only show what we get from our supplier". That's incorrect. Zap2It is 99% correct, so whose messing up the guide data? Is there someone at Gracenote feeding bad data to TiVo? Is TiVo messing it up? We'll never know.

3. ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I spoke with someone over at Tribune Media a few years ago and she was very defensive and passed all of the blame onto the network providers. I've also noticed that my Wish List which I set up to record PGA golf tournaments used to follow an entire match which starts on one network and concludes on another. However, TiVo suddenly only records the first portion as it thinks the second portion is a repeat. So now I have to tell it to record everything in order to get both portions. The side effect of course is that it ends up recording the same tournament 2-3 times in rerun. I just wish there was come dependability and consistency as we should expect it for all of the money we spend between cable and TiVo.

Just my two cents...

4. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I was going to say no, but this may explain why it seems m TiVo missed an episode of 'Gotham'

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Advertisements

TMS does not create guide data, how can they possibly be responsible for it's content?

Have you cancelled your tivo service? sold your tivo? have you just stopped using your Tivo? or are you actually accepting what you claim is unacceptable?

For good reason.
    What happened when you called the content providers involved to make your complaint?

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Just to be clear, neither I nor the OP (I think) are blaming TMS/Gracenote. We are "blaming" TiVo for its poor guide. I just set a 1P for SNL on 2/28. That's not "new" in the guide, it is "new" with Zap2It/TVGuide,etc., and the 1P manager indicates 3 shows are going to be recorded. It's the disconnect from the recordings and the guide data that is in need of help.

Ok, maybe the OP is blaming TMS. I'm not. Unless they give TiVo poor data. Who can tell?

7. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    You should blame TiVo and TMS because they are your customers and therefore the only ones you have leverage over. Make them address it with their suppliers.

If you're mad about KFC's chicken supplier, you don't call the supplier. You call KFC. You are their customer.

That said, my guide data has been fine.

8. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    No, you call Okra Windfree

9. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Do you also record Sleepy Hollow, which is on after Gotham?

I had an episode that said it was Gotham. It wasn't Gotham. It was the syndicated show on Fox before Gotham (I think it was Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, or Two and a Half Men. A couple of half hour comedies.)

Then I went to watch Sleepy Hollow. It was Gotham. So I watched the hour of Gotham which was supposed to be Sleepy Hollow. I missed an episode of Sleepy Hollow, which probably aired during what my Tivo thought was the Fox early news.

It looks like for one day, on CableOne here in Boise at least, the guide data was off by an hour. Seeing as I time shift everything, I didn't even notice until a couple days later.

This causes paranoia. It is why when I record Packer and Badger football games, I always try to watch the first few minutes live, just to make sure my Tivo is recording the right thing at the right time.

I've definitely seen this on other shows but I can't recall the specifics. Maybe on TNT? Or SyFy? If I don't wait too long to watch the show and see the error, sometimes I can set the Tivo up to record a repeat it normally would have skipped with my FRO settings.

10. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Why stop half way up the supply chain to place blame? You wouldn't blame 7/11 because the newspaper you bought there had a misprint would you? That makes no sense. Go to the top and blame the content providers that actually create the information.

That's a bad analogy. The quality from TMS is objective. The quality from a chicken supplier is subjective.

11. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Check again, this appears to be fixed for the Honda Classic next week. I have an ARWL for PGA Tour Golf (new 3rd/final rounds only) and all 4 showings are set to record.

Of course it might break again when CBS gets the coverage back after the Masters...

12. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Well actually, the MSOs and ad metric consumers are the real Tivo customers. Retail is less and less of a care for them and that is reflected here.

Agree that anyone interested should complain to Tivo, but don't expect it to get much better.

13. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago

And no recording for the "Spotlight Coverage" on Golf Channel at the same time as the NBC coverage?

I think I'll record all three to see if there's a difference in the seriesId.

14. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Well, so, is it a single issue or has 7/11 decided to carry a news paper that has frequent quality issues? If it's the local ubiquitous paper, I might not blame them. Everyone carries the same paper. But if they have chosen to carry a specialty paper that is of dubious quality on a regular basis, yeah, I would blame 7/11.

If Walmart sold a TV that breaks 50% of the time, I would blame Walmart for that too. Just like we blame Target and Walmart for selling herbal remedies that are fraudulent. It's well established both legally and morally that a seller has a responsibility for the goods sold.

No, chicken frequently has objective properties which can be of low quality.

I suspect you have never eaten or cooked food before in your life, based on this post.

15. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006

Eh. I mean, they may be the more important customer, but we are still customers. They might tell us "no" but they are still our first contact.

16. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Frequently? It would either always have objective quality properties or never have them.
    And "low quality" itself, is only subjective.

17. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Interesting. Dish (and DirecTV) are among other customers of TMS for guide data. Dish has recently asked subscribers at forums to report any EPG data issues on posts to the forum. MOST of the time it really is TMS, not TiVo nor other DVR makers or the MVPD. Far less frequently is it the TiVo or the MVPD's fault.

I have come across some identical INCORRECT EPG data that was on BOTH TiVo and Dish. Among them was Death in Paradise listed in a 30 minute block with another show to follow, but Death in Paradise is a ONE-HOUR show, and it does appear properly at the subsequent 12AM airing and the other airing a few days later, but NEVER correct at the premier airing. This has been fixed as of yesterday, but I had to contend with it and manually correct My TiVo and Dish To Do List/Daily Schedule for about 2 months. That is just ONE example of identical errors on both TiVo and Dish EPG's of late.

However, I do agree that all complaints about EPG should be directed to TiVo not only because TiVo has a relationship with TMS to follow up on complaints, but TiVo NEEDS TO KNOW if the EPG data is NOT up to TiVo standards and TiVo can evaluate using a competitor to TMS when the contract for services ends.

18. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    While I agree, I did that last week and the answer from TiVo was "We only can be as good as our supplier data". The issue was using "new" and not "live". This is a choice, not a problem. The "live" warning is still there. When you have a bad channel TiVo can usually fix that, but I will always check Zap2It because it is 99% accurate.

19. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    My ARWL has the "spotlight" keyword excluded, so no issues there.

20. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Poorly constructed. "Frequently" was supposed to apply to "low quality" not "has properties."