Guide and changes to physical channel frequencies?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by fidmas, Aug 21, 2019.

1. fidmas

fidmas New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Lots of my local OTA stations are changing physical frequencies on 6-Sep. I’m currently using the DirecTv AM21N to DVR these subchannels, but I know that database will not be updated. I’m looking at the TiVo Roamio OTA 1 TB DVR to do the job. Will their guide be kept up-to-date?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Not usually. You may wish to check this thread: Channel repack has begun, and it's not good!

Usually things get fixed, especially in major markets. But you need patience.

3. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Not a snowball's chance... that tivo will be any better.

4. JohnS-MI

JohnS-MI Active Member

Jan 25, 2014
    SE MI
    I don't know how bad your guide is about these changes.

Tivo waits until we users file a lineup complaint, after the fact, they check with the station, and usually repair the guide within a couple of business days after the change is reported. They are completely non-proactive. If the change is reported over a weekend, add a couple of days.

If it's a race, it's a turtle race.

5. fidmas

fidmas New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    [QUOT
    Thanks to all you guys. Actually I've been living with missing sub-channels from my DirecTV AM21n for years now. They don't want to know anything ever existed to record OTA shows. But, now that nearly all my OTA channels are changing frequencies, I thought a Tivo OTA box could be used to record OTA shows. I gather I'll be buying, installing, and then start complaining to Tivo. Right?

NorthAlabama and JoeKustra like this.
  6. JohnS-MI

JohnS-MI Active Member

Jan 25, 2014
    SE MI
    We grumble, but Tivo does react within a few days.

Only two channels have changed here so far, and being the summer doldrums, they were fixed before I needed to record anything (and all the subs were corrected with the mains). I'm worried about next winter when most of our channels change during the main tv season, and I'm recording 20+ shows a week.

I haven't tried it, but you can schedule a manual recording for a station that has no guide data according to others. Read the LONG thread linked above.

NorthAlabama likes this.
  7. TexasDVR

TexasDVR Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Eventually, maybe, TiVo will get around to making the changes - If you request them (act of Congress etc)

After this last Dallas Repack 4, TiVo made at least five swings at it before corrections were made to get all the display channels listed and attached to the correct RF, at least the ones I wanted LOL.

After about 3 weeks I got an email back from them with a somewhat detailed list, for them anyway, of the several stations they fixed and corrected.

They still have a few things wrong, but it is on channels/RFs that I do not care about.

Re: What happens to "manual recording" when it is all messed up (channel list/RF):

Well sometimes that will work and sometimes not. "If" there is a way for to tune to a specific "display channel" which attaches to the correct RF then it will normally work. But if there is a specific RF that you want to record and you can not get a display channel in your channel list to match it, then you are out of luck. Unlike some tuners, the TiVo will not let you tune to a specific RF for OTA.

8. fidmas

fidmas New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Is there at least a way to SCAN for available RF frequencies, regardless if Guide guide availability?

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Yes, there is a channel scan, under the Channel Settings. They will be added to the channel list with an asterisk. They will be available for the guide (depending on your guide option), but will have no data.

10. fidmas

fidmas New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    So, I was just wondering if changes to Physical RF channels would be a problem if I get a Tivo. My old DirecTV AM21N has me give it my Zip-Code and from that lists the Logical Channels I should get and the RF channel they think they're on. The guide data is based on the Logical Channel. But of course, with a changed RF channel, you get nothing.

Now, if I let the Tivo scan for available RF channels, I would think it would pick up the Logical channel for any live station. Then the guide data should be based on the Logical channel. NO? Anything wrong with my logic?

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Your logic is based on the use of PSIP data. TiVo does not use PSIP data to generate virtual channels used in the guide. TiVo depends on a database of channels that it controls.

If you scan for channels, as you do for your TV, you will get the valid channels and their sub-channels, but the guide doesn't link to that data.

12. fidmas

fidmas New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    So the TiVo database associates guide data with RF channel? Strange. :\ Or something else? I'm confused where. Anyway, i should be able to 'see' the channels with/without the guide data i guess. The AM21N can't scan at all.

13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sorry, the guide comes from the TiVo database, indexed by your zipcode. If you disconnected the coax, nothing will change in the guide. My TiVo can do a channel scan, but it will not have data in the guide. Yes, strange.

14. fidmas

fidmas New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    I guess I'll wait until the local stations screw-up all the RF Channels, order the TiVo, and try to make something work. Anyone have any idea why they're doing this?

15. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Your tax dollars at work: Channel repack has begun, and it's not good!

16. fidmas

fidmas New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    I live between Charlotte and Greensboro. The old AM21N lets me enter a primary and secondary zipcode for guide info. Any such ability here?

17. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You get one zipcode. The website tv.com uses TiVo's database, so you can practice there.

18. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    One zip code but it is a wider area per zip code than the AM21 does.

19. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    That is one good thing about the TiVo database is that when you put in your zip code it will give you everything you might be able to receive, not just what is in your DMA. I live half way between Denver and Colorado Springs and TiVo gives me both cities. I know it doesnt work off what you can actually receive as I have a very directional antenna and can only receive one Colorado Springs station yet I have them all in the guide

20. fidmas

fidmas New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Most of my stations come out of Charlotte but when I rotate the antenna 90 degrees, I can get stations in Winston-Salem. Can i get channels not in the Charlotte guide by scanning or providing the physical channel manually somehow?