Guidance on replacing Zippered 160GB to new 160GB.

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by BeanCounter1, Feb 16, 2007.

1. BeanCounter1

BeanCounter1 New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    It's been about 10 months since I upgraded from the stock 40GB drive to a Zippered 160GB drive in my RCA-DVR40. All has been working well with the original software that the Zipper & Enhancement script installed. My drive is having some problems so I bought a replacement 160GB drive. (Hint: if your drive stops working, take it out and turn it upside down but make a backup quick.) I have thus plunged back into the forums and found that MFSLive replaced MFStools.

My question (finally) is the viability of MFSLive with the Zipper software. Building the kernel per the Zipper readme differs from the MFSLive instructions. Will I still be OK since I am just copying something that's already Zippered? The updated kernel is already on my existing 160GB so my assumption is that I can use MFSLive's "backup -qTao" command to copy and my Zipper stuff will still work.

I'd like comfirmation that my assumption is correct because I don't want to hose my recordings & settings. I'll probably re-run the "tweak" command from bash once I put the new drive back in the Tivo to get new versions of the enhancement software.

Thanks.

2. BeanCounter1

BeanCounter1 New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    MFSlive worked. Just use the comman line generator on the MFSlive website and all is well.