GSOD TiVo Premiere HD DVR Model TCD746320

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by tp1665, Jun 27, 2015.

1. tp1665

tp1665 New Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Hi Forum,

I have been reading many posts regarding what needs to be done to hopefully recover my premiere's HD data, my wife wants to try and recover all of her shows.

I understand the general scheme:
    An imaging run and maybe a copy run using DVR bars and would kindly ask for help with an image for this model.

This is my first Tivo HD fail and I have been a TIVO user since 2002 or so. So this is my first real venture into really fixing a unit on my own.

I have a 1 TB upgrade WD from newegg on the way ($61) and know I will eventually need another tool to expand the drives useful size w/ jmfs.

feel free to mail me: tsp1665 via yahoo.

unrelated side question.. is there any way to make a tivo premiere default to a given channel at startup?

Many thanks

Tim

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If you pull the power on a Premiere, all tuners will be set to that channel when you apply power.

3. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Are you trying to save it or rebuild it from scratch?

The first option calls for jmfs, the second option is something I can help you with.

4. tp1665

tp1665 New Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Well, very good question.
    I wanted to try and save it, but am not sure that will work. So a clean image rebuild is my second option and last resort and I wanted to be ready for that.
    I have just downloaded the set of WD drive utilities that I hope can test the currently "failed" drive.

I just do not know how often GSOD drives digital files can be recovered and how well I can test in the current state/format.

I figured I would be able to create a fresh image then copy the hopefully intact files/media into that.

I still need to get out and get a darn torx tool that I do not own to remove the drive out of the Tivo housing. Maybe I am really wrong in my assumptions on the total workflow/processes.

Thanks for the quick response.
    I just was trying to get all my ducks in a row.

Tim

5. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    I sent you a PM with a link to a clean image. Hopefully you won't need it.

6. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    The HDD in my XL4 expired with GSOD, after only 2 years and never more than 25% used.
    Tivo was stuck in a boot loop....

Tried to "fix" the drive with the WD tool kit, no joy.
    But, if you have time, it can't hurt to try; if it works and TiVo boots up.
    You might be able to clone the data to the new drive, saving the recordings.

My case, had to install a clean image to get the new hdd to work.

7. rover4

rover4 New Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Could someone PM me a link to a clean image for a Tivo TCD746320 (Premiere)? Thanks in advance!

8. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    PM sent.

9. rtpn60

rtpn60 New Member

Jul 15, 2015
    Arizona
    Hey Guys, been reading up here to try and salvage my broken TCD746320. It's got the GSOD and would like to format a new replacement drive. May I also get a copy of an image? :D

10. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    PM sent.

11. rtpn60

rtpn60 New Member

Jul 15, 2015
    Arizona
    Excellent, Thanx! Although familiar with computers this will be my first Tivo encounter. Now need to download winmfs. ;)

12. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    WinMFS is only good for Series 1, 2, and 3 TiVos.

Premieres are Series 4s.

(If you don't know what you're doing you can screw up an S4 drive with WinMFS)

If someone sends you a link for a Premiere backup, it probably needs to be restored via DvrBARS.

Here's the thread where you can learn about it.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=503261

13. rtpn60

rtpn60 New Member

Jul 15, 2015
    Arizona
    wow.. Thanx for the heads up. I was having issues getting the software to see the new 1TB drive. I downloaded DvrBARS and am now backing up the original drive (that failed). I was trying to create a new drive without using the old one. I'll keep reading and see if I can get this thing back on line. ;)

14. rtpn60

rtpn60 New Member

Jul 15, 2015
    Arizona
    I've downloaded DvrBARS and was able to actually backup the old, dead Tivo hard drive (with errors). I also have the TCD746320.vhd image downloaded.

The issue is the DvrBARS will not write to the new unformatted drive regardless of which image I choose? DvrBARS sees both images for source and then sees both old and new drives for the target but when I try to write to the new drive I keep getting WriteFail Error 0x00000013...

I noticed on the bottom of the screen it states format is unknown - "\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1:931.51GB, unknown"

What am I missing? :confused:

15. rtpn60

rtpn60 New Member

Jul 15, 2015
    Arizona
    and now.. the rest of the story... :D

I forgot to bring the drive on-line in disk manager. :rolleyes: I was afraid of doing anything to the drive in fear of screwing something up BUT I guess it does have to be online. duh.... :p

16. rtpn60

rtpn60 New Member

Jul 15, 2015
    Arizona
    I'm getting so close... :D

I was able to use the image downloaded here to get my box back to a factory setup (THANX GUYS!) but now it won't record anything? Everything works fine as far as viewing channels, setting up recorded programs, etc. But I never see the record light come on and there's nothing in "my shows". I tried to just hit record on a channel, nothing.

When I look at the diags screen the HD doesn't seem to have an ID number? Is there something Tivo must do from there end when you replace a hard drive?

17. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    You have to do a Clear & Delete Everything to "marry" the software on the hard drive to the TiVo Service Number on the unit's motherboard.

18. rtpn60

rtpn60 New Member

Jul 15, 2015
    Arizona
    Thanx David,

I saw that in several threads but when doing all the drive work never saw that in any of the processes or software? Then it dawned on my it was a Tivo thing and found it in the Tivo menu system. :D

It's in process now, Thanx again. ;)

19. rtpn60

rtpn60 New Member

Jul 15, 2015
    Arizona
    Kewl.. Success! :D

I had to reset it up but the paring was ok and I the cable card still works on all my premium channels! :up:

Now on to upgrade the working Tivo box in the living room. :D

20. mjn2110

mjn2110 New Member

Feb 10, 2016
    Dear all,

Could someone share the image with me too?

To explain my predicament, and see if my reasoning makes sense, here goes:

I've been trying to fix my Model TCD746320, and found this thread. My TiVo has a similar problem: the loop of GSOD, restart, GSOD, restart, unable to kickstart. I assumed the problem is the hard drive, so I tried to save the drive using ddrescue on Ubuntu. ddrescue ran fine but the new drive has the exact same problem/behavior as the old drive.

So either the software is busted and I need a new image, or something other than the hard drive is broken?

I would be hugely appreciative if you could share the image with me, to see if I can salvage this machine.

Thanks!