Gsod Help!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by kegs, Aug 21, 2007.

1. kegs

kegs New Member

Jul 19, 2004
    So I came home from work last night and turned on my TV and noticed that my Tivo box had a nice message for me. It said that there was a severe error had it had a nice green screen behind it. So after I did some poking around online, I found that this GSOD probably means that my hard drive is dieing. I have a 140 hour Series II with lifetime and no backup image of the software. I would like to know from the experts here what my options are. Can/should I fix the drives? Do I scrap this box and get a new one? Any and all suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm not sure what to do. Thanks!

2. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    If you leave it on the GSOD it will actually sometimes the fix the problem itself. However, the hard drive could still be on it's last legs. The unit has lifetime, so definitely no reason to scrap it. You can either buy a new hard drive (great time to increase space) and add the TiVo software to it using something like InstantCake or buy a drive with the software already installed and just plug it in. Good Luck!

http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores/1/instantcake_nomodel.cfm
    http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-dvrs.php

3. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    I think the hard drive is dying.

I'm pretty sure it's not dieing.
    :)

4. kegs

kegs New Member

Jul 19, 2004
    so after much looking around i have found a couple of places where i can get a replacement drive with all the software and stuff installed on it already. i have found one on Hinsdale that would give me more storage space and it's priced cheeper that Tivo replacing my current box. does anyone have experence using this company for replacement drives? any opinions/other advise? thanks.

5. Vidfreaky

Vidfreaky New Member

Sep 3, 2006
    I'd stick with the 2 big ones that LifeIsABeach listed.

I've used Weaknees and their customer service is great.

6. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    I've purchased TiVo's and drives from Weaknees, the TiVo Community Store and Hinsdale. All three have given very good service in the past and price ends up being my decision maker now. There is another company, DVRUpgrade (formerly PTVUpgrade). They’ve been around for quite a while but I haven't any experience with them.