Grimm vs Once Upon a Time

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by smbaker, Nov 26, 2011.

Which do you like better

1. Grimm

19 vote(s)
    22.4%
  2. Once Upon a Time

51 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. I like them both!

14 vote(s)
    16.5%
  4. I can't stand either!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Now that both of these things have been playing for a bit... thoughts? ...

Personally I'm hooked on once upon a time. It has a quirky and somewhat good-natured presentation. Lighter and fluffier. I'm also loving the casting of Rumpelstiltskin.

Grimm, on the other hand, is much darker and heavier although it also has this weird tongue-in-cheek humor. I've only watched two so far (catching up on S01E03 tonight) but so far there has been a little too much similarity between monsters for me. I'm looking forward to something that isn't a variation-on-a-werewolf. Maybe I'll get it tonight!

2. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    "Meh" on both. Once wants to be quirky, but it's just slow... keep waiting for something to happen. Grimm wants to be darker, but it's just a supernatural wannabe with any real suspense.

Maybe I'm just in a post-tryptophan grump :)

3. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    I really like Once Upon a Time although they could pick up the pace a bit. I thought the premise of Grimm was excellent, however the quality of the acting and writing is just so bad, I couldn't watch. Two episodes and I was done.

4. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I've only watched Grimm. I think they cast the two main characters wrong. The cop sidekick has much more charisma and stage presence than the guy who plays Grimm.

5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Despite them both being fairy tale based, they come at things from such a different aspect that I really can't compare them.

Grimm is very much a standard police procedural with fairy tale back story.
    OUAT is more an "atmosphere drama" ala Lost, which makes sense with the Lost pedigree it has.

6. Robin

Robin Impolite arrogant woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    This.

They are completely different shows, they both happen to have a major fairy tale element.

That said, OUAT has hooked me, Grimm has not.

7. holee

holee Uncertain

Dec 12, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    I think OUAT has better overall storytelling, but Grimm isn't as serialized, making it easier for me to get caught up out of sequence.

I'm enjoying both, but I've watched more of Grimm because it takes less thinking.

8. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    One could almost rip the fairytale aspect out of Grimm and just have your standard man-vs-monsters serial. You couldn't do that with OUAT.

They really need to break the mold with more variation in the plot. I've watched the third episode, and if feels like the plot is just way too similar to the first two episodes. I have high hopes for the fourth episode! I have come around and like the casting of Grimm, and I do like the weird sense of humor it has toward itself. However, if every episode plot is going to follow the same formula, then it's going to get old real fast.

9. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Neither are great, but I prefer once upon a time more because it's more creative and interesting.

10. MegaHertz67

MegaHertz67 Registered Smart Ass

Apr 18, 2005
    Miami
    I have watched every episode of Once with my wife because she was interested and got hooked. I have recorded every episode of Grimm, but haven't watched yet. I planned to watch it in a few marathon sittings. I do that with a few shows my wife does not watch like Justified and it makes for a good week when you watch 2 or 3 a night to catch up.

The down side is that sometimes things get canceled before you get to watch the first one and it makes you wonder whether to bother at all. That's what has happened with Charlie's Angels. I wasn't so jazzed to watch them, and would have deleted them, but I live in Miami and am curious to see how they made my hometown look.

11. robbhimself

robbhimself Member

Sep 13, 2006
    before they premiered i thought i would like grimm more, it sounded like a better story on paper, after the first couple episodes i'm really enjoying ouat. grimm is too much like every other cop show out there

12. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    I like Grimm better. But I like them both. I think Grimm will get better with time, if they give it a fair chance.

13. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I thought I liked Grimm better but Once Upon a Time grew on me.

14. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I'm enjoying OUAT more than I thought I would. I only started watching after I saw that the pilot episode had great ratings and that the ratings didn't really fall off much for the second episode.

I had no interest in Grimm. Procedural cop shows do nothing for me, and their decision to cast a former contestant from an MTV reality show as the lead is baffling.

15. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I think both lead actors let Grimm down but the main guy more so. Looking at Terra Nova, I like the lead actor from that but the show is weak, he might have been better suited to Grimm :)

I like OUAT the best by a long stretch.