Grimm OAD 10/28/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by aadam101, Oct 29, 2011.

1. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    It's a cop show? Seriously? I kept seeing comparisons to ABC's Once Upon a TIme. It was nothing like that at all. Is anyone sticking around for episode 2? I really can't decide if I want to.

2. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I wasn't crazy about it.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It seemed a little uneven and wandering to me. I suspect it will settle into its groove soon enough, and then I'll be able to decide.

But yes, the people who compare this to Once Upon a Time (and both to Fables) must be the same people who think The Mentalist is a rip-off of Psych.

4. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    It kinda reminded me of Moonlight. Wasn't that on Friday nights as well? We all know how well those shows turn out.

5. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Strong Buffy/Angel vibes.
    It was just ok for me.
    The reformed Blutbad (Eddie) was the best thing on the show and I hope he continues to be Grimm's go-to guy.

Seeing as it was a pilot I will give it more time, but honestly- Mr. Grimm has zero charisma or personality.
    I know that for me it suffers greatly because of how much I loved Once Upon a Time. Way different shows but I can't help but compare them.

So I am cautiously pessimistic :D

6. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Wow.

:thumbsdown:

As my sister always says...

'enuff said.

7. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I enjoyed it...except the cop Grimm. As was said, no personality. I will watch a few more episodes to give it a chance though. I was hoping the Aunt would be a bit more involved, but maybe there's hope for that with some healing potion in the book. I love the book of Grimm - that reminded me of something Wesley Wyndam-Pryce would pull out.

8. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I'll give it a few more. I am already recording Chuck immediately before it and those would be the only 2 Friday shows.

9. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    THIS! Thanks for doing all the typing for me.;)

Who is the actress who plays the aunt? Her character wasn't listed in IMDB.

10. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Reminds me of that series on CBS, Moonlight... supernatural overtones but styled as a procedural show, and a lead with zero personality. Coincidentally, David Greenwalt was also involved in that series early on (although he ended up leaving that show for health reasons).

11. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Kate Burton.

12. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, this about sums it up.
    Male slayer who happens to be a cop but less personality than the Slayer army.

Looks like Grimm scored 2.1 in 18-49 so it's not going anywhere in the immediate future so I'm willing to stay with it a bit.

13. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    It was a bit too intense for me... lots of jumpy-scary stuff. If you like that, fine, but I don't.

I thought the lead guy was ok... seen worse (I'm looking at you, Flash Forward). Pilots have to do a lot of introduction and to me this one didn't do enough. They spent more time on the monster-of-the-week story (granted, that was to introduce another character) and we barely met his wife, boss, etc. We don't really know what grimms are... if they're monster-hunters, they suck at their job because the city streets are lousy with monsters!! Maybe total mystery is what they wanted.

When is he going to tell his partner? I know if I was the partner, I would haul his ass to the side and make him explain himself. How did you find the house in the woods? How did you know to look there? I'd have serious trust issues until I got answers.

To me this is looking like X-Files, with the lead as Mulder and the partner as Scully, co-starring the monster-of-the-week. Meh.

How long before we find out the wife is some sort of monster? :)

14. dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    DFW
    Are they in Seattle, where it's overcast everyday? :)

Are there a rolling blackout going on? Turn on the lights, people!!

And since when do cops shot perps in the back when they're running away?

15. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The previews did show
    him being annoyed at continuing to be called upon
    I agree, I haven't seen a lead with this little charisma in a long time, I hope he gets better.

16. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    IMDB has been lacking lately. I couldn't find her by looking at the Grimm page but the Kate Burton page shows she was on Grimm.

I enjoy her. She was the best thing about the show.

17. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Not the strongest pilot ever but I'm sticking around as the "this season on Grimm" showed some promise.

18. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The show is set in Portland, Oregon.

I suspect the series will be shooting in Vancouver though.

19. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    The cheap horror movie stuff of people silently coming up and startling him got old real fast. I hope they cut that out after the pilot.

I agree the partner should have asked more questions, but Nick cannot really provide any answers that his partner would believe, so I can imagine him making some excuse and getting his partner to drop it (for now).

What bothered me the most was the song. That was some really bad writing. How many iPod joggers set their iPod to play the same song over and over? Most probably have a playlist and/or shuffle play. So the chances that the same song that the killer heard would also be the one that the detectives heard should be quite small. And yet they used that incredible coincidence at the end to catch the bad guy since he was humming the song. Come on, writers, I hope you do better with the rest of the season!

20. Hmm252000

Hmm252000 Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Its actually shot here in Portland too with many of the actors now living here (was on the local news with them showing some scenes being filmed). So hopefully they don't move it up to Vancouver anytime soon (assuming it keeps going).