Grid Guide or Live Guide - What is your preference?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by CoxInPHX, Jul 15, 2017.

Grid Guide or Live Guide - What is your preference

1. Grid Guide

50 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. Live Guide

57 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ

Advertisements

There have been a few polls in the past, but I wanted to get a fresh perspective.

2. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Those viewing the thread and not voting, does that mean you do not have a preference?

3. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    I go back and forth but I like the Live Guide better.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Those voting but not viewing have nothing to add. :)

5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA

Advertisements

I won't rule out that since we've been using it since 2000, it could just be that we're more use to it. :)

Of course we also rarely use the guide.

Scott

6. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I mostly use the guide on my iOS apps which are in the Live Guide Style and my boxes are set to live guide.

IMO, the grid guide seems to appeal to someone simply looking for something to watch, channel surfing. I never do that.

The live guide seems suitable for someone looking for an upcoming specific program on a specific channel.

7. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I voted for the live guide, but I don't use the guide much. Being OTA I used to just set recordings each fail and that was about it. Now I do have to pay a little more attention as they start new shows throughout the year including a summer season, but still pretty don't use the guide much.

8. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I prefer grid guide on tv but I use live guide on the iOS apps

9. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I actually had to look to see what the one I use is called. D'oh! It's 'Tivo Live Guide'. I've hit the wrong button in the past that changed it to the other one and I found that very unappealing.

Mikeguy likes this.
  10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    One must ponder why all the internet guides I've found are the grid type, and there's no option for the Live Guide with TiVo Online.

11. Nickipedia

Nickipedia Nick of Time

Jul 18, 2015
    Michigan/D.C.
    Great idea!

12. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    ;) ;) :praying:

13. moonscape

moonscape Member

Jul 3, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    In my case I didn't know what the one I use is called - have used it forever because I never liked the other one.

Live guide!

14. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    Same here. Not casting a vote because I don't know what is being asked. I use the guide that comes up over a live broadcast when I press the Guide button. Is that configurable? How else would someone access a guide if not on Live viewing?

I see two columns: on the left is a list of current shows on all channels, and on the right is a list of upcoming shows on the single channel at the top of the left list. And this is all in text, no icons, no images, on a Premiere using SD-menus. Simple and efficient for my needs. Both columns scroll down -- i dislike the horizontal guides i've seen on other systems.

15. NJ Webel

NJ Webel Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Richmond, VA
    Live guide:

[​IMG]

Grid guide:

[​IMG]

alexb likes this.
  16. MHunter1

MHunter1 TiVo Bug Hunter

Oct 11, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    My daily TiVo routine includes browsing the Grid Guide's prime time 8-11pm slots for new programs to record. It's the primary way I find pilot episodes or one-time specials, and also a good way to see if a program I expected to record is TBA due to faulty Rovi guide data.

17. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    When I first got TiVo 3.5 years ago, the Live Guide was the default and I didn't know you could change it. At first I didn't like it, but it grew on me to the point where when I found out that you could change it to the grid guide I just kept it on live guide instead.

tim1724 likes this.
  18. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Each serves a different purpose, in other words, you're comparing apples and oranges. So there is no preferring one to the other. If you want to see all upcoming programs on several channels in a single view, that's impossible on the Live guide. If you want to see many hours of upcoming programs on a single channel in a single view, that's impossible on the Grid guide. I use whichever one serves the purpose at the time. Preference doesn't come into play when only one option serves the desired purpose.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    randywalters likes this.
  19. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I prefer the guide that uses data from Nielsen. :D

20. fburgerod

fburgerod Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Live guide exclusively. Just feels more comfortable.