Grey's Anatomy 3/31/11 "Song Beneath the Song"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Cainebj, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    Yes - the musical episode of Grey's Anatomy.

Opening number/sequence was VERY well done.
    Most of it was good - a couple of spots were kinda dicey.

Sara Ramirez pretty much stole the show.

She won a Tony Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Musical for her Broadway performance in "Spamalot" - so not quite a surprise - but good for her.

2. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I absolutely loathed it. Whether the singing was good is irrelevant - I just hate when characters start singing in a show like this. It's just...indulgent.

The only thing they left out was one of the characters looking directly into the camera and giving us "jazz hands". :thumbsdown:

3. zaknafein

zaknafein Shorthanded

Jul 17, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    The only show that has ever done this well is Buffy, and that was because the singing made sense, (in the Buffy world) and not shoehorned in.

This ep failed about as spectacularly as possile

4. MegaHertz67

MegaHertz67 Registered Smart Ass

Apr 18, 2005
    Miami
    I thought the first number was very well done and I had higher hopes for the rest of the episode. But when Owen started singing directions that others followed, it lost the "fantasy" element like Ally McBeal and became Cop Rock.

5. Gene Plantz

Gene Plantz tivo BOLT OTA

Dec 31, 1999
    Hoffman...
    ditto...... ditto.......

6. Apr 1, 2011 #6 of 46
    Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    It really sucked. The singing took you out of any drama that the episode may have had.

7. Apr 1, 2011 #7 of 46
    Bryanmc

Bryanmc I'm normal.

Sep 5, 2000
    Richardson,...
    This was unbelievably bad.

Unbelievably bad.

8. Apr 1, 2011 #8 of 46
    The Spud

The Spud Rather be cruising TCF Club

Aug 27, 2002
    Kent, WA
    I'm not even half way through the episode but I wanted to say that Scrubs did it better.

9. Apr 1, 2011 #9 of 46
    ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Absolutely moronic. Still don't understand what the point was.

10. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    Yeah - it was pretty bad.

There were parts where I was just cringing.

Seems like they forced a musical episode, and it just did NOT work.

11. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I stand by the first song was done very well and the conceptual idea of a woman - as they said - what the human mind does under trauma - sold me on the idea of a musical episode.

but I most completely agree with you that they lost me when Owen started that number.

but I don't think it was nearly as bad as all you are making out it was.

12. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    I loved it.

No, seriously.

I love when people sing, and I just took myself out of the "this is a drama so why are they all singing" and just went on this ride with Callie.

I may buy the soundtrack. Jeebus, that girl can sing.

13. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    No doubt she can sing, but come on - compare this to the Buffy musical episode.

In the Buffy episode, it was truly a "musical" - characters broke into song and the songs they sang forwarded the plot.

To me, this was just an episode in self indulgence.

14. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    Hey, different strokes and all that.

I thought that the music heightened the *emotional* stakes. If they wanted to use music to move the plot forward, they would have had to write songs, and, you know, Shonda ain't no Joss.

But I am pretty emotionally invested in these characters, and for the first two thirds, I was holding my breath, and beating back tears.

There were a couple songs that I thought were ill-conceived, but they did not detract, for me, from the emotional punch of the episode. Probably helps that the songs they did are songs that I love. :)

I may watch it again tonight.

15. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Does Marti Noxon still work with Shonda on Private Practice? If so, that might explain a bit.

16. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    Don't know.

But Shonda claims that she has wanted to do a musical episode since season one, since she loved the Buffy musical so much.

http://www.greyswriters.com/

17. disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...
    Worst. Episode. Ever.

18. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    I've watched this show from the beginning, and generally like it, but if I wanted to watch a musical I'd watch Glee. I think the concept is ridiculous. I've yet to watch it, and I don't know that I will.

19. MegaHertz67

MegaHertz67 Registered Smart Ass

Apr 18, 2005
    Miami
    I loved Scrubs, and I thought of that episode while I was watching this. But the humor and plots of Scrubs relied on the fantasy aspect of JD's character. You knew not to take too much too seriously. (Although when they did go serious I thought they delivered quite well.)

I understood what they were trying to do, and if all of the singing was done through the prism of Callie's traumatized/pain killer affected mind...that would have worked. But when there was singing that was divorced from Callie's presence it didn't work for me. And when the singing became too literal an interpretation of the lyrics it didn't work for me.

As I said, the first song worked very well. When they came back to the OR and were singing "How to Save a Life" it fit the spirit of what they were doing while paying homage to the defining use of popular music during the show's first season.

But the rest of the show, musically, was a thud.

20. rich

rich Final answer?

Mar 18, 2002
    New York
    I liked it a lot. To each their own, I guess.